+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario Drivers license

amit6488

Mar 15, 2017
Hi Members,

I moved to Canada on PR in March 2016 and got my full drivers license in Winnipeg (MB) in June 2016. Now the challenge is that when I am trying to obtain a full drivers license (G) in Ontario I am being advised that they cannot give me G instead they will give me a G2 as my driving history is less than 2 years. Also at the time of applying for my full license in Winnipeg the authorities kept my Indian license with them and post that I was allowed to appear for a written test, road test and post successful road test I was granted a full license.

My question is, can I self declare my one years driving history for a period before June 2016 (when I got a full drivers license from Winnipeg) and obtain the one year driving history/record from Winnipeg authorities for June 2016 to May 2017 and submit it as two years driving record and basis this will I be eligible for a G licence in Ontario?

Please suggest.

Regards,
Amit Sood

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
If you have a full licence from Manitoba you can change it to an Ontario licence. They may be an eye test but that is it.

amit6488

Mar 15, 2017
Hi Davek1979, That is the exact issue I am facing. The are telling me that since my Manitoba full license is not even one year old they cannot issue me a full (G) license in Ontario which i fail to understand the logic and there is no point arguing with them as they do not listen at all.

I am confused what should i do and whom should I approach in the next level, I tried asking for a supervisor but they denied straight away and said they cannot do anything.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
amit6488 said:
Hi Davek1979, That is the exact issue I am facing. The are telling me that since my Manitoba full license is not even one year old they cannot issue me a full (G) license in Ontario which i fail to understand the logic and there is no point arguing with them as they do not listen at all.

I am confused what should i do and whom should I approach in the next level, I tried asking for a supervisor but they denied straight away and said they cannot do anything.
it's because a full G license requires 2 years of proven driving experience. If your current license does not show it has been valid for 2 years, you will have to provide extra proof you have been license prior to moving to canada.
Do you have any proof you were licensed to drive prior to moving to canada? if so, depending on the country you're from, they can use that as proof of how long you've been licensed, and they can combine that time with your current license. When I exchanged my US license, it was less than 1 year old, so I submitted proof of licensing from another state to get the credit for additional years.

you may want to do research on the service ontario website about whether they will accept proof of licensing from the country you were licensed in prior to moving to canada. there is easy to follow information there.

amit6488

Mar 15, 2017
My Indian license was taken by the Manitoba agency at the time I submitted application for a drivers license. I checked the Ontario website and have two Questions:

1. Is it acceptable that I self declare and provide one years driving history for my indian license and combine it with the 1 year driving record from Manitoba to be eligible for a G license?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
amit6488 said:
My Indian license was taken by the Manitoba agency at the time I submitted application for a drivers license. I checked the Ontario website and have two Questions:

1. Is it acceptable that I self declare and provide one years driving history for my indian license and combine it with the 1 year driving record from Manitoba to be eligible for a G license?
yes i think so. i was able to combine 2 different proofs of licensing to qualify for a full g license. really the only way to find out is to try.

CanadaItIs

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Pals,

Has anyone recently got Driving Experience Letter from Gujarat RTO in India? Do they issue it on official letterhead?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
amit6488 said:

Actually, they are simply stating the rule set by Drivetest.ca:

"If you are from one of these eligible jurisdictions, you can apply for a licence exchange for an Ontario Class G licence. The type of licence you receive varies depending on how much driving experience you have. If you do not have at least two years of driving experience, you may receive a Class G2 licence instead of a full Class G licence."

Source: https://www.drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence-exchanges-cars-small-trucks-and-vans.html