+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Only 1 picture for common-law application?

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
Anyone think I'd have a problem only submitting one picture for my common law partnership if I have plenty of other proof that our relationship is genuine? I'm noticing my common-law partner checklist mention up to 20 pictures together with your partner, but quite frankly neither of us are really the picture taking type, and my boyfriend actually actively HATES having his picture taken. Do you think that this will be a problem?

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
I would think it would be questioned but you could always write a letter of explanation as to why there are no pics and include only what they ask for. Nothing more

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Anyone think I'd have a problem only submitting one picture for my common law partnership if I have plenty of other proof that our relationship is genuine? I'm noticing my common-law partner checklist mention up to 20 pictures together with your partner, but quite frankly neither of us are really the picture taking type, and my boyfriend actually actively HATES having his picture taken. Do you think that this will be a problem?

If you don't have them to submit you can't submit them.

As starnaenae said it won't necessarily be an issue but they could think its a little odd.

You really only have 1 picture? Not even a handful of bad ones you could just throw in there?

As I said if you don't have them you don't have them. Explain why in the app and leave it at that.

tab_loves_sam

Mar 19, 2018
british columbia
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
while you might not be in the habit of posing for photos together, do you two ever send selfies to each other while apart? if so, maybe include a screenshot or two of these interactions along with your explanation.

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
They might think it's rather odd that you've lived together for a year in order to qualify for common law, but in all that time you couldn't take a few pictures together. Not even for holidays? I absolutely despise having my picture taken, but I made sure we got a few photos at Christmas, Valentine's Day, family get-togethers, etc., because I knew we'd need them for the application (and it is nice to have them for the memories later).

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I think other members are being too lenient on this one.

It's going to look extremely suspicious if you have literally 1 picture together, and I would expect scrutiny from the visa officer.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
I tend to agree to kcward7 statement. Sending only one picture may unnecessarily put your file under scrutiny radar.

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
So far we've managed to dig up a few more photos taken by family members - both from my year here as well as my visits from the past - but that still only puts me at about 3-4. I know the maximum is 20, but if I have between 5-10 would that seem less suspicious? I'm going to try and goad my partner into more pictures (especially since easter is coming up), but he always looks so unhappy to be having them taken that my application might very well be scrutinized anyways because he looks like he'd rather be dead than having a picture taken. :p Just kidding.

I know it seems weird to only have 1 photo, but it's the way we roll.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
So far we've managed to dig up a few more photos taken by family members - both from my year here as well as my visits from the past - but that still only puts me at about 3-4. I know the maximum is 20, but if I have between 5-10 would that seem less suspicious? I'm going to try and goad my partner into more pictures (especially since easter is coming up), but he always looks so unhappy to be having them taken that my application might very well be scrutinized anyways because he looks like he'd rather be dead than having a picture taken. :p Just kidding.

I know it seems weird to only have 1 photo, but it's the way we roll.
I get it, but your objective with this application is to convince the visa officer your relationship is true and genuine. I know it's personal, but if I were you I would explain the importance to your partner and tell them to suck it up for some photo ops.

Not many people submit less than 20.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
exactly as kcward7 put it. It's more about how you prove the genuineness of your relationship with those photos. So, a dislike can be kept apart for a moment of a click at 20 different times :) ...
Let's put it this way, wouldn't your partner go take a photo for his Passport and if required for his work related things ? Just like that, or more important than those, if you plan and intend to be living in Canada , as one your life target, i dont see no reason, why one would say no to photos.
So, go a road trip... click photos on the different view points, in car, hotel, restaurant. Oh gosh... how many options.... aint they ;P

Reactions: faithey

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
Then here is a different question: would they scrutinize if a chunk (say 3-4) were taken around the same interval? Say a family dinner during a holiday or something like that. All that I have right now were taken during different times (with friends, Christmas time during different years, family barbeque, that sort of thing), so if I get a couple more where we're clearly in the same situation, would that matter?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Then here is a different question: would they scrutinize if a chunk (say 3-4) were taken around the same interval? Say a family dinner during a holiday or something like that. All that I have right now were taken during different times (with friends, Christmas time during different years, family barbeque, that sort of thing), so if I get a couple more where we're clearly in the same situation, would that matter?
You are making it more complicated than it is. Just take a dozen pictures at different times/places. A picture from dinner, a pic with friends, at the park, random selfies, at home etc.

Reactions: wagggal

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You should not submit several from the same time and place. But if the places are different, then close together in time would be OK.

Make sure you have a lot of other proof. They can scrutinize photos quite a lot if they have suspicions anyway.

Elanigana

Nov 22, 2016
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
05-02-2018
My boyfriend - common law partner - is the same! Hates pictures. But knowing the process- we’ve made habits of taking pictures every where we can. Even if they look really silly.

The last thing you want is trouble over pictures. Seems silly when it’s so easily in your control to fix.

Reactions: wagggal

wagggal

Star Member
Dec 29, 2017
You are making it more complicated than it is. Just take a dozen pictures at different times/places. A picture from dinner, a pic with friends, at the park, random selfies, at home etc.
You are so right ! It is a no brainer, give them what they ask for. It is listed in black and white as to what they want.

Why cause issues and have application sent back or waste time once again with correspondence between CIC.
This is the exact stuff that makes the process long to get through for others applying also because VO's have to spend time on something that has already been spelled out so to speak.

Sorry if I sound insensitive, but if you are going to do something, do it right. If you don't want to follow protocol no matter how uncomfortable it is maybe you are not ready.

Last edited: