+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

online degree

nanamink99

Nov 22, 2011
Hello,

I have been working in Canada for over 2.5 year and I completed an online degree from an american university while working full time here.
I applied to pr and received AOR already. I didn't list those courses on my papers as I still hadn't completed it. However, I have been reimbursed for part of the tuition that is reflect on the NOA i sent. Now, should I send a letter making sure is clear that my work experience is unrelated to my online studies? Previously when there was an international graduate stream they said the experience couldn't be gained while full time studying under for example a work permit. Although I just took one online course per term some schools still consider that as full time. I just checked the website again and all this info is gone. It just says " have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,"

Would my work experience not count if I was deemed to be taking an online course full time?

thank you,
Morgana

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nanamink99 said:
Hello,

I have been working in Canada for over 2.5 year and I completed an online degree from an american university while working full time here.
I applied to pr and received AOR already. I didn't list those courses on my papers as I still hadn't completed it. However, I have been reimbursed for part of the tuition that is reflect on the NOA i sent. Now, should I send a letter making sure is clear that my work experience is unrelated to my online studies? Previously when there was an international graduate stream they said the experience couldn't be gained while full time studying under for example a work permit. Although I just took one online course per term some schools still consider that as full time. I just checked the website again and all this info is gone. It just says " have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,"

Would my work experience not count if I was deemed to be taking an online course full time?

thank you,
Morgana
We're you on a closed or open work permit? What does your work permit say about study?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Well...

A) Online courses or degree programs outside of Canada do not require a (Canadian) study permit, no worries there. The exclusion of work performed as a full-time student refers to student work performed while a full-time student in Canada under a Canadian study permit. And, so, no, it would not affect the eligibility of your work experience. There is no need to send a letter about this.

B) HOWEVER - if you omitted this information from your background declaration, that was a mistake. The background declaration asks about ALL education, not "education relevant to my work experience."

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
Agreed! I think Jes makes a good point. Since it wasnt in Canada and it was online....dont think it would have had a negative impact on your app. But the omission part may be a mistake on your end.