one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

maria_mirabela

Jul 14, 2016
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
screech339 said:
My opinion:

1. Your OWP will be processed as normal from moment your status was restored.

2. Yes I would think the 4 month-ish process time is from the day your status is restored.

3. No. Your app will not be denied on account that you were out of status at time of submitted application.
Thanks. So your advice is to sit tight, do nothing and wait? I don't need to send a new OWP application?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
maria_mirabela said:
Thanks. So your advice is to sit tight, do nothing and wait? I don't need to send a new OWP application?
Has your OWP application been returned?

maria_mirabela

Jul 14, 2016
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
screech339 said:
Has your OWP application been returned?
No. I just restored my status. I was supposed to get the permit this week but I called CIC. They said my currently app will probably be processed after AIP.
Now I'm thinking to send another OWP request, I wonder if I can have 2 apps being processed see witch one gets approved faster...

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
maria_mirabela said:
No. I just restored my status. I was supposed to get the permit this week but I called CIC. They said my currently app will probably be processed after AIP.
Now I'm thinking to send another OWP request, I wonder if I can have 2 apps being processed see witch one gets approved faster...
Technically CIC was suppose to return your OWP since pilot OWP was only available for those in status. Anyone who is out of status cannot apply for OWP until after AIP. So it is possible that CIC was holding on to your OWP until AIP, regardless of when your status is restored.

You may want to "cancel" your first OWP application if possible. And resubmit a second OWP application now that you are back in status.

maria_mirabela

Jul 14, 2016
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
screech339 said:
Technically CIC was suppose to return your OWP since pilot OWP was only available for those in status. Anyone who is out of status cannot apply for OWP until after AIP. So it is possible that CIC was holding on to your OWP until AIP, regardless of when your status is restored.

You may want to "cancel" your first OWP application if possible. And resubmit a second OWP application now that you are back in status.
Thanks a lot screech339! Actually I did submit a new application yesterday (was pretty easy cause I already had all the documents) and now I will try to figure out a way of withdrawing the first one, even though I'm pretty sure I won't recover my fee. Oh well... $255 wisely spent :)

Oct 12, 2016
mak31086 said:
My Spouse applied for PR in Jan 2016 and got her OWP in May 2016. I just noticed her visitor visa already expired in October. I am planning to apply for visitor visa extension. Just wondering how long does visitor visa extension processing takes? Do you think if I have submit anyother additional documents(my pay statements, residential proof, etc) for visa extension other than those mentioned in the application package, Thanks!!

I'm going to run into the same situation with your spouse. My TRV is expiring in April 2017.(I'm also an inland applicant ) Despite the fact that it's highly recommended by most people here not to leave the country until the PR is granted, I'm planning to apply for my new TRV once I have got my new work permit anyway. I don't really see any reason why we can't re-enter Canada if we have the valid TRV ( Multiple Entry ). I get the concept of Inland app. that is meant for people who intend to stay in Canada during the application is being processed. But does not necessarily mean we are stuck here for like 2 years.. Plus, not that we are going to travel for months.

Aside of that, you should be able to just apply for the new TRV online, which should take less than 2 weeks to get it if you already obtain a work permit. Early of this year, I submitted my TRV online right after I got the work permit after graduation, and it took me only one week to get my TRV approved online, they then asked me to submit my passport for the sticker. So total around two weeks till I got my passport with the TRV sticker in it.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chasingthestarts said:
I'm going to run into the same situation with your spouse. My TRV is expiring in April 2017.(I'm also an inland applicant ) Despite the fact that it's highly recommended by most people here not to leave the country until the PR is granted, I'm planning to apply for my new TRV once I have got my new work permit anyway. I don't really see any reason why we can't re-enter Canada if we have the valid TRV ( Multiple Entry ). I get the concept of Inland app. that is meant for people who intend to stay in Canada during the application is being processed. But does not necessarily mean we are stuck here for like 2 years.. Plus, not that we are going to travel for months.

Aside of that, you should be able to just apply for the new TRV online, which should take less than 2 weeks to get it if you already obtain a work permit. Early of this year, I submitted my TRV online right after I got the work permit after graduation, and it took me only one week to get my TRV approved online, they then asked me to submit my passport for the sticker. So total around two weeks till I got my passport with the TRV sticker in it.
It is a requirement for Inland processing, that the applicant and sponsor live together in Canada during the process. If either one (or both) leaves Canada for more than a couple of weeks, it's could also been seen as a violation of that requirement. This only amplifies the potential problem, IMO.

mak31086

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JAN 11, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 26, 2016
Chasingthestarts said:

Hi Chasingthestars,

I did more research on this issue, What other members say is 100% true. Please find below links for further explanation. There is huge difference between normal PR appplication and Family sponsored. Its not advisable to travel outside Canada while family class PR under processing. There is more chance for entry denial

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28
http://www.mariacampos.ca/en/articles-publications/travelling-outside-canada/

Emily89

Star Member
Dec 14, 2016
Hi there,

I am super new to this and not sure if I am in the right conversation. But I was just wanting a really easy question answered Smiley

Background info...
I am Australian and in the process of my Spouse sponsoring me who is Canadian. I am currently on an IEC (International Experience Canada) Permit which expires in April 2017.

My question is about the Open Work Permit OWP that has been extended to December 2017. I want to apply for this as I would like to continue working while we wait for Permanent Residence status but may take 12 months. I have read that you will have to have Temporary Residence Status as a Visitor, Worker, or Student in order to be eligible to apply... Would be being on IEC work permit put me under having a status of a Worker.... I just assumed it would but maybe I am wrong...

Please help! I don't want to apply and spend all the money if I am not eligible.
Also if I'm not would should I apply under the status of a Visitor then?

Thanks for your answers Smiley

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Emily89 said:
Hi there,

I am super new to this and not sure if I am in the right conversation. But I was just wanting a really easy question answered Smiley

Background info...
I am Australian and in the process of my Spouse sponsoring me who is Canadian. I am currently on an IEC (International Experience Canada) Permit which expires in April 2017.

My question is about the Open Work Permit OWP that has been extended to December 2017. I want to apply for this as I would like to continue working while we wait for Permanent Residence status but may take 12 months. I have read that you will have to have Temporary Residence Status as a Visitor, Worker, or Student in order to be eligible to apply... Would be being on IEC work permit put me under having a status of a Worker.... I just assumed it would but maybe I am wrong...

Please help! I don't want to apply and spend all the money if I am not eligible.
Also if I'm not would should I apply under the status of a Visitor then?

Thanks for your answers Smiley
i answered your question in the other thread you posted in. it's best to wait a few hours or even a day or 2 before reposting the same question.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-inland-applications-2016-timeline-and-updates-t389295.4500.html

marsbars

Sep 23, 2016
Hello all,
I applied for inland sponsorship and the OWP back in November and recieved the AOR on December 10. I was just wondering if there's a way to track the OWP? My husband (the sponsored) tried to link it to his account but it wouldn't give him the option to. I just want to know approximately when we should expect to receive it. I know that the average processing time is 4 months, but sometimes it can be early as well.

Thank you kindly,

mars

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
marsbars said:
I applied for inland sponsorship and the OWP back in November and recieved the AOR on December 10. I was just wondering if there's a way to track the OWP? My husband (the sponsored) tried to link it to his account but it wouldn't give him the option to. I just want to know approximately when we should expect to receive it. I know that the average processing time is 4 months, but sometimes it can be early as well.
It is very rarely more than a week or 2 early. Expect your OWP in March.

Emily89

Star Member
Dec 14, 2016
Hi Everyone!!

I have a couple questions that I'm sure have already been answered but i cannot be bothered to go through every page to find them Smiley

So I sent my PR application (Inland) along with OWP application January 2nd 2017
They received it in the mailroom January 13th 2017
Feb 10th will be exactly 1 month since they have received the application in their mailroom...

1st question - Will i hear anything about the OWP before its approved or will i just receive something in regards to it being accepted at the 4 month mark.
- How will i know its been approved? Is it through email, Letter...?
2nd question - How long do you usually have to wait until i get AOR?

Thank you so much for helping out Smiley Its all just a waiting game right now Sad

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Emily89 said:
Hi Everyone!!

I have a couple questions that I'm sure have already been answered but i cannot be bothered to go through every page to find them Smiley

So I sent my PR application (Inland) along with OWP application January 2nd 2017
They received it in the mailroom January 13th 2017
Feb 10th will be exactly 1 month since they have received the application in their mailroom...

1st question - Will i hear anything about the OWP before its approved or will i just receive something in regards to it being accepted at the 4 month mark.
- How will i know its been approved? Is it through email, Letter...?
2nd question - How long do you usually have to wait until i get AOR?

Thank you so much for helping out Smiley Its all just a waiting game right now Sad
it takes at least 4 months to receive the OWP. you will not receive any notification about it's approval. You will know you are approved for it by finding it in your mailbox.

There is no consistency to AORs for inland applicants. to see what the "Trend" is for recent applicants, go to the 2016 inland thread and look at the spreadsheet.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-inland-applications-2016-timeline-and-updates-t389295.5700.html

YVANNA

Mar 13, 2014
PH -- CA
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2011
Med's Request
15-12-2013
Med's Done....
15-01-2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
11-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2014
LANDED..........
14-10-2014
Hello everyone!
This thread is too long I'm hoping someone can still see my comment here and advise me.

So I have a PR status and I want to sponsor my partner under Family Class Common - Law.
We have been living together since March 2016 (a year now) and we just moved recently and living with my family. We both have our names on the lease and we can provide other evidence of our relationship. I'm currently gathering the forms and documents we need before I submit the application. However, I have few concerns.

He got study permit. He applied for Post Graduate Work Permit when he graduated last year Aug 2016 but somehow we haven't heard anything from immigration yet. Procrastinated, sigh. Basically it's 7 months since and still nothing. I guess he lost hope for that. We dont wanna get married yet and naive and young that we are (both at 23) we were hoping to go through the process of waiting till we are mature enough. His study permit expires this JULY 2017. This is our desperate measure.

Anyways, my questions:
1. Should we send the documents to the center that processes' OUTSIDE or INSIDE Canada?
2. Will we encounter problem with the application considering he has a pending PGWP application?
3. Can he get temporary permit to stay inland?