+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One way ticket question.

vivaladillon

Feb 20, 2011
California
Hi there,

I currently have a girlfriend who lives in Canada, and we were wondering if she were to buy me a one way ticket there would I be able to get in. I'm not planning on living there or staying there for long probably about 2 weeks max, and we just wanna do this because she is absolutely terrified of flying alone and I wanna fly back with her to California where I am at. Would I be able to get through into Canada that way? Or does it have to be a round trip ticket. This would be my 2nd time going to Canada, and the first time I had a round trip ticket. Just wanna be extra sure because I've been hearing a lot of mixed reviews but then again it's probably just up to the IO correct? Thanks!

- Dillon

EDIT: she's buying a roundtrip here to California. I know that's gonna be okay. Just didn't wanna confuse anyone and think that she's gonna live here with me forever and such.

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
I would get the round trip just to be on the safe side. When they ask who you are traveling with there will be flags up when you point to your girlfriend in the first place. Then when you have just a one way another flag. and so on

vivaladillon

Feb 20, 2011
California
Patricksgirls said:
I would get the round trip just to be on the safe side. When they ask who you are traveling with there will be flags up when you point to your girlfriend in the first place. Then when you have just a one way another flag. and so on
Yeah, I just wanna get a few opinions before we do so. She's just leaning on more towards doing it alone so we can be both on the safe side. Easier that way and doesn't look suspicious. Thanks Patrickgirls.

macthepak

Feb 13, 2011
Re: student visa rejected,will apply again,,,good idea?

Hold your horses! There is no legal requirement for a return ticket as long as you can show you have funds available to you in canada for payment of the return journey.

vivaladillon

Feb 20, 2011
California
macthepak said:
Hold your horses! There is no legal requirement for a return ticket as long as you can show you have funds available to you in canada for payment of the return journey.
Really? So if I show them my debit card or credit card everything would be okay?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vivaladillon said:
Really? So if I show them my debit card or credit card everything would be okay?
Typically the return ticket is better evidence.
Also, some airlines will not sell you a one way ticket to Canada unless you are a PR or a Citizen of Canada.

There are no guarantees with immigration.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I'm missing something here. You plan to fly into Canada, join up with your girlfriend, then fly with her to California. She will then return to Canada alone a few weeks later. Have I got it right?

First, if she can calm her nerves enough to return to Canada alone, this suggests that she can fly to California alone, and save you an expensive trip.

Second, if you plan to return to California with her, why not just get a round trip ticket? Round-trips tickets are a lot less expensive than two one-way tickets.

But if you really want to buy a one-way ticket into Canada (e.g. you're not sure of the return date), and you want to play it safe at the border, buy a one-way fully-refundable ticket from Canada back to the USA. Then, once in Canada, cash in the refundable ticket.

Finally, once you know your return date, buy a a cheap one-way (fixed date) ticket.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have two weeks, and she hates flying - drive.

LA to somewhere like Vancouver is 24 hours of "on the road" driving.
I did that trip (and more) over four days; PCH TO SF, I5 to Seattle then the 99. As long as the weather is good, the trip is fine.

macthepak

Feb 13, 2011
Re: student visa rejected,will apply again,,,good idea?

Yes plus a current credit or debit card statement.

vivaladillon

Feb 20, 2011
California
toby said:
I'm missing something here. You plan to fly into Canada, join up with your girlfriend, then fly with her to California. She will then return to Canada alone a few weeks later. Have I got it right?

First, if she can calm her nerves enough to return to Canada alone, this suggests that she can fly to California alone, and save you an expensive trip.

Second, if you plan to return to California with her, why not just get a round trip ticket? Round-trips tickets are a lot less expensive than two one-way tickets.

But if you really want to buy a one-way ticket into Canada (e.g. you're not sure of the return date), and you want to play it safe at the border, buy a one-way fully-refundable ticket from Canada back to the USA. Then, once in Canada, cash in the refundable ticket.

Finally, once you know your return date, buy a a cheap one-way (fixed date) ticket.
I will be actually coming back with her to Canada with a roundtrip.

So basically she'll be buying me a one way ticket (maybe depends on what we decided after making our minds up.)

Stay in Canada for about a week or two.

Then fly back together on two roundtrips; Canada to LA for about 2-3 weeks or whatever we decided as well.

Then I'll stay there for about another 2-3 weeks and then come back by myself.

Baloo said:
If you have two weeks, and she hates flying - drive.

LA to somewhere like Vancouver is 24 hours of "on the road" driving.
I did that trip (and more) over four days; PCH TO SF, I5 to Seattle then the 99. As long as the weather is good, the trip is fine.
Don't really have two weeks but we've talked about the whole driving thing but she would rather fly even though she's scared.

Baloo said:
Typically the return ticket is better evidence.
Also, some airlines will not sell you a one way ticket to Canada unless you are a PR or a Citizen of Canada.

There are no guarantees with immigration.
Hmm would calling an airline be helpful?

I'm sorry for asking all these question I just wanna make sure before I do it and not just jump the gun and then not get into Canada and such. I mean I'm not planning on living there until I LEGALLY can. But I know it takes awhile to do so. :(

Thanks for all your answers and such! I appreciate it. (We do.) :)

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
The safest way is to buy a refundable one-way ticket back to the USA (which you can buy at the ticket counter when you arrive at the airport). But if the airline will let you on the plane with a one-way ticket, try it.

If the airline will let you on the plane, the remaining risk is that you arrive at the Canadian border and a border guard asks to see your return ticket. This has never happened to me; anyone else? but if you get unlucky, I don't know how you can buy a return ticket inside the security area. Anyone have experience with this?

Feb 22, 2011
Based on a story of my Canadian friend who had a single ticket, it's a LOT LESS hassle to get a return ticket...not that more expensive.
A single one-way ticket sends up a very strong flag..even for Canadian citizens...
The car ride is possible....what about the train?

vivaladillon

Feb 20, 2011
California
irishsnowmobiler said:
Based on a story of my Canadian friend who had a single ticket, it's a LOT LESS hassle to get a return ticket...not that more expensive.
A single one-way ticket sends up a very strong flag..even for Canadian citizens...
The car ride is possible....what about the train?
Never even thought of the train! but isn't it the same? :/ Don't you still deal with the immigration?

westy888

Jan 8, 2011
why dont you buy 2 return tickets the first set from cali to canada and back to cali the dates you want to travel and then yours and hers from canada -cali and back to canada inbetween them dates that way your covered and your 4 trips are covered thats how i would do it if i was doing it :)

westy