+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One way or round trip tickets? (got work permit and traveling with family)

peoplesoft

Jan 31, 2013
Hi everyone,
I have been issued a work visa (W1) for couple of years. My wife who is going to travel and live with me in Canada has been issued a visitor visa (V-1). I have been told by the lawyer that she'll be issued a temporary resident visa (TRV) on the Canadian airport.

My questions
1) Would it be okay for both of us to travel to Canada on a one way ticket?

If answer to above is NO then
2) Does my wife require a two way ticket given she's currently got V-1 visa?
3) Being issued a worker visa, do I need a two way ticket as well?

Appreciate some quick replies.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Reactions: Tophele

newhere78

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
ask ur travel agent to make a dummy return ticket with open return dates, that way u dont actually pay for full return ticket but it will serve the purpose at airport checks.
hope u understand.

peoplesoft

Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for the advise!

Here's what I have done.

1) Have booked a one way ticket for myself as I have a worker visa and
2) Got a confirmed return ticket for my wife as she's on a visitor visa. Open return ticket is not getting issued where I am.

Hope this will help someone!

dosani

Sep 10, 2012
Hi Peoplesoft,

Can you please let me know your experience about booking one way ticket. I have an openworkpermit and my visa is valid till more one year and i am planing to leave as soon as possible. can you advise if should i book one way or two way ticket.

hashbash

Star Member
Sep 30, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2017
AOR Received.
11-03-2017
Med's Done....
31-03-2017
Hello everyone can anyone help me if I should book a roundtrip or one way since I hold a work permit around 6 months of validity ( though it will be extended along with my wife's permit ) thank you and also if anyone had similar experience can share thanks :)

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
AFAIK, you dont need to book return ticket, but I have heard many cases where immigration officers at airport unnecessarily trouble us asking for return tickets. If possible, get yourself an open ticket or a ticket that will get you maximum refund if you cancel it.

hashbash

Star Member
Sep 30, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2017
AOR Received.
11-03-2017
Med's Done....
31-03-2017
BigBee said:
AFAIK, you dont need to book return ticket, but I have heard many cases where immigration officers at airport unnecessarily trouble us asking for return tickets. If possible, get yourself an open ticket or a ticket that will get you maximum refund if you cancel it.
Would they deport you, if you don't have a return ticket ? :O

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
hashbash said:
Would they deport you, if you don't have a return ticket ? :O
All the cases I heard was the troubles created in India and not at the time of entering canada.... ;D

Most likely, they will not allow you to board the flight (this is the worst case scenario)

peoplesoft

Jan 31, 2013
Strictly based on personal experience, you should definitely get a return ticket for the family members who are coming along with you to Canada. That's what I did. Got one way ticket for myself (have W1) and a return ticket for my wife (had V1). She was issued a TRV upon landing. I then canceled and applied for ticket refund for her from Canada. We did not get the entire amount (they deducted some percentage in name of airport taxes and processing fee) but no complaints.

When you are getting a one way ticket, do confirm with the airline that the ticket is refundable. That's what someone at Emirates told me.

AINP-BDR

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney - NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
Doc's Request.
30-01-2014
Nomination.....
08-08-2013
AOR Received.
02-10-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
RPRF Request 30-01-2014 paid on same day
Med's Request
02-10-2013
Med's Done....
08-10-2013
Interview........
Inproces 11-02-2014 Decision Made 07-03-2014
Passport Req..
13-03-2014
I am working in Canada from last three years , had two fly backs no one asked me about return ticket. My friends also no one booked return ticket when they are coming to Canada first time.

But I heard we need to book return ticket for parents ( who got issued visa for only six months).