+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

On Campus or off campus

avarava23

May 20, 2009
Hi guys, I am a full time student of University of Toronto presently enrolled with a post graduate program. I arrived in Canada in September 2009 on a study permit.

I have been offered part time employment but the employer is asking for my SIN number. This employer is not my university so I understand that it qualifies as an off campus work. Since I have been in Canada for only 4 months now, I guess I am ineligible to apply for an off campus work permit (The minimum requirement is 6 months). However, although the employer is not my university (Its a coaching institute), they hold classes inside University of Toronto. That means if I am employed by them, I will work inside my university. Does this qualify my employment in anyway as an On Campus employment?

Thanks for your help

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe it is only considered on-campus employment if your school is the actual employer. An outside employer is not considered on-campus employment, even if you are physically on the campus location, if I have understood everything correctly.

Spanxx

Jan 28, 2010
@ poster,

eitherways, I think you need to have been enrolled in the institution for a period of at least 6months and will have to provide your past semester results and GPA. They will use this to weigh the option that you cope with school and work at the same time.

All the best!