+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Renewal (expired since 2011)

kiwi1959

Star Member
Jun 17, 2012
Hello

I am PR and my OHIP Card expired on 2011 while I've been working outside Canada.
Planning to goback this summer and change my old residency address.

Q1- Is the renewal process smooth and straight forward or they will question my residency obligation ?
Like why you are renewing it now while it expired in mid 2011 ? I never used my OHIP Card.

Q2- What documents are required to renew an OHIP ?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The OHIP has a different residency obligation, the one that you must live in Ontario at least 6 months out of every 12 in order to keep your coverage. If they happen to not realize that you have moved away, it is really a mistake that you have a valid OHIP card in the first place so you should not use it. If you do use it and they figure out after the fact that you should not have had it, they can bill you for your costs that they paid for you.

kiwi1959

Star Member
Jun 17, 2012
Thank you Leaon for your answer.
That said, how should I proceed to renew my OHIP then ? assuming I never used it in that past 3 years.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/ohip/renew.html

choson86

Sep 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Leon my health card expired 2006.
I wasn't able to renew it afterwards since I studied in the States and worked outside of Canada.
I'm planning to return next year and have a couple of questions.

1) I plan to visit Canada next year and then permanently return a year after that. When should I make the OHIP card?

2) Since I haven't renewed my card for 6 years, will it be a problem when I'm making the health card?

3) If I return permanently 2 years from now, I will have about 3~4 months until my PR card expires. However I have a problem with renewing it and therefore may have to apply for renewal 2 years afterwards. If I apply for the health card before the PR card expiry, will I have any problems?

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
choson86 said:
1) I plan to visit Canada next year and then permanently return a year after that. When should I make the OHIP card?

2) Since I haven't renewed my card for 6 years, will it be a problem when I'm making the health card?

3) If I return permanently 2 years from now, I will have about 3~4 months until my PR card expires. However I have a problem with renewing it and therefore may have to apply for renewal 2 years afterwards. If I apply for the health card before the PR card expiry, will I have any problems?
1) Do it when you come back permanently.

2) Because you have been gone so long, it will be treated like a new application and you will have to do the 3 month waiting period again.

3) No, it shouldn't be a problem.

sahota123

Jun 9, 2012
hey! help me... i am canadian born,bt when i was 3 years old ,my family moved to india, then after 16 years i came back to canada last year,bt i lived there(in toronto) for 2 mnths nd i checked that my OHIP is nt wrkng,without renewed it, i go back to india nd got married, now me nd my husband r going to vancouver, so m i elligble to apply there for my OHIP???

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sahota123 said:
hey! help me... i am canadian born,bt when i was 3 years old ,my family moved to india, then after 16 years i came back to canada last year,bt i lived there(in toronto) for 2 mnths nd i checked that my OHIP is nt wrkng,without renewed it, i go back to india nd got married, now me nd my husband r going to vancouver, so m i elligble to apply there for my OHIP???
OHIP is only in Ontario. In BC you get MSP. When you arrive, you apply for MSP. It takes 2-3 months to get it and you pay a monthly fee. In order to be eligible for MSP, you must live in BC at least 6 months a year. If you move, you must tell them. If you move to another province, you can apply for health care there.

L7

Star Member
Sep 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LEON

Leon said:
The OHIP has a different residency obligation, the one that you must live in Ontario at least 6 months out of every 12 in order to keep your coverage. If they happen to not realize that you have moved away,

it is really a mistake that you have a valid OHIP card in the first place so you should not use it.

they can bill you for your costs that they paid for you?
Hi Leon,

Please give little detail on the issue.

If he left Canada for 5 years with a valid Health Card and he used it 2 - 3 times before leaving Ontario Canada,
What costs the PR have to pay when he try to renew the Health card after arriving in Ontario Canada after 5 years?

Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he was eligible under OHIP and fulfilled his 6 months a year in his first year in Ontario, he would have no costs come to him. He would go to OHIP, tell them he has been outside Canada for a long time, apply for OHIP again and have to do the 3 month waiting period again.

However, if OHIP realizes that he did not stay for 6 months in his first year and/or 5 months out of his first 6 months in ON, they could decide to backcharge him for the 2-3 times that he used the health card.

L7

Star Member
Sep 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
If he was eligible under OHIP and fulfilled his 6 months a year in his first year in Ontario, he would have no costs come to him. He would go to OHIP, tell them he has been outside Canada for a long time, apply for OHIP again and have to do the 3 month waiting period again.

However, if OHIP realizes that he did not stay for 6 months in his first year and/or 5 months out of his first 6 months in ON, they could decide to backcharge him for the 2-3 times that he used the health card.
LEON you are the BEST man.

Thank you so much.

lopa

Feb 9, 2013
hi Leon,

i got my OHIP on june 2011 and after a few days i came back to my country and got married. now i'm planning to go back to canada on may 2013. now my question is

1) after going there can i use my existing OHIP card or should i renew it?

2) if i need to renew, what could be the problems/questionnaires that i may have to face?

thanks in advance!

lopa

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you need to be in Ontario at least 6 months a year to keep your OHIP, you should go to OHIP and tell them that you have been outside Canada since June 2011. They will probably suggest that you do the 3 month waiting period again.

lopa

Feb 9, 2013
Leon said:
Since you need to be in Ontario at least 6 months a year to keep your OHIP, you should go to OHIP and tell them that you have been outside Canada since June 2011. They will probably suggest that you do the 3 month waiting period again.
thanx a lot Leon!! :D