Med's Done....
Oct 2014 and May 2016
Interview........
approved/waived
VISA ISSUED...
July 2016
LANDED..........
August 2016
We both husband , wife and our 1.5 years old kid traveling to India for 9 months time period, we have heard and read from OHIP website that need to spend at least 183 days in year something, should / can we inform Service Ontario for absence from Ontario for 9 months time period and then will return to Ontario after 9 months. By informing Service Ontario, shall we able to keep using OHIP health card when we will return back to Ontario Canada ? What about if we move to Alberta on returning after 9 months ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We both husband , wife and our 1.5 years old kid traveling to India for 9 months time period, we have heard and read from OHIP website that need to spend at least 183 days in year something, should / can we inform Service Ontario for absence from Ontario for 9 months time period and then will return to Ontario after 9 months. By informing Service Ontario, shall we able to keep using OHIP health card when we will return back to Ontario Canada ? What about if we move to Alberta on returning after 9 months ?
We’d need more information about your time in Ontario before your 9 month absence. Depending on that information you may or may not need to restart the 3 month waiting period. Informing OHIP is a requirement although people don’t do it, if you don’t inform OHIP and are caught using OHIP in the 3 months when you return you can be asked to pay back all those costs. Much smarter to take out a travel policy for the 3 months than potentially have to pay back a large bill. If you move from Ontario to Alberta and spend any time in Ontario you would have to wait up to 3 months to qualify for healthcare in Alberta. Would mention that the pharmacy industry is also going through the same surplus issues so would pick your city carefully. Would imagine Edmonton and Calgary are the toughest market for pharmacists and where salaries are decreasing the fastest and where jobs are tougher to come by. Given that you are getting licensed as a vet a smaller community closer to ranches or other farms may be the ideal places for your combination of professions. Pharmacies are more likely not to require evenings and weekends and pay more. Also you still have community pharmacies and towns with loyalty to vets and pharmacists and a more family friendly relaxed atmosphere.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/docs/longer_absences_fs_en.pdf
https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-moving-to-alberta.aspx#toc-0

moga_PB29

Jun 12, 2015
Brampton,Ontario
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
26 November 2014
Nomination.....
March 2015
AOR Received.
AOR 1: Feb 2015 , AOR 2: April 2015
Med's Request
May 2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2014 and May 2016
Interview........
approved/waived
VISA ISSUED...
July 2016
LANDED..........
August 2016
We’d need more information about your time in Ontario before your 9 month absence. Depending on that information you may or may not need to restart the 3 month waiting period. Informing OHIP is a requirement although people don’t do it, if you don’t inform OHIP and are caught using OHIP in the 3 months when you return you can be asked to pay back all those costs. Much smarter to take out a travel policy for the 3 months than potentially have to pay back a large bill. If you move from Ontario to Alberta and spend any time in Ontario you would have to wait up to 3 months to qualify for healthcare in Alberta. Would mention that the pharmacy industry is also going through the same surplus issues so would pick your city carefully. Would imagine Edmonton and Calgary are the toughest market for pharmacists and where salaries are decreasing the fastest and where jobs are tougher to come by. Given that you are getting licensed as a vet a smaller community closer to ranches or other farms may be the ideal places for your combination of professions. Pharmacies are more likely not to require evenings and weekends and pay more. Also you still have community pharmacies and towns with loyalty to vets and pharmacists and a more family friendly relaxed atmosphere.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/docs/longer_absences_fs_en.pdf
https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-moving-to-alberta.aspx#toc-0
HI thanks for reply. We have been living in Ontario from last 3 years, I am near to get Veterinarian license, and my wife has not started licensing exams preparation yet.

Ontario is expensive than Alberta.

Jobs are available in Calgary/Edmonton too, for Veterinarians and pharmacists.

Competition is every-where in Canada.

siham44

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
@canuck78 Oh yes after i got my pgwp i spent 1 year here..for the inland app, is it a red flag if i got married after 7 months of dating him and apply for spoonsorship after 4 months ( i started living with him after marriage because in our religion we can't live together before) thank you..i am nervous about that..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 Oh yes after i got my pgwp i spent 1 year here..for the inland app, is it a red flag if i got married after 7 months of dating him and apply for spoonsorship after 4 months ( i started living with him after marriage because in our religion we can't live together before) thank you..i am nervous about that..
No not really Are you both in Canada? Not a lot of information to comment on,

siham44

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
@canuck78 yes both of us in canada, he is canadian Citizen, i am moroccan and i have a pgwp permit here ( did not have stable jobs here)...i am.in Canada since oct 2015

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
HI thanks for reply. We have been living in Ontario from last 3 years, I am near to get Veterinarian license, and my wife has not started licensing exams preparation yet.

Ontario is expensive than Alberta.

Jobs are available in Calgary/Edmonton too, for Veterinarians and pharmacists.

Competition is every-where in Canada.

Yes Toronto is more expensive than Calgary or Edmonton but Ontario as a whole is not. Not sure I would get licensed as a pharmacist at this point.

“AB Pharmacist (used to be ON). What everyone else has said is pretty accurate.

The market is very saturated in both provinces . You can still make decent money if you move away from the major urban centers. Some posters suggested pursuing hospital/industry and you should take this advice with a bowl of salt.

It is pretty much impossible to get into hospital as a new grad without residency, which is extremely competitive. Unlike retail, hospital pharmacists have to deal with a lot of hospital bureaucracy and politics. From my experience, hospital pharmacists are also near the bottom of the food chain. You have to keep everyone happy (especially the nurses) and you may not feel very valued or respected until you gain enough experience to specialize in a unit (e.g. oncology).

The only potential relief in the market that I can see in the near future is if there is some kind of mandatory role for pharmacists with cannabis (e.g. must have a pharmacist at dispensaries, etc.). This surplus can only be effectively addressed with new roles for pharmacists.

The government almost always makes cuts to pharmacy to reduce healthcare spending and address budget deficits. On top of this, a large proportion of the workforce are IPGs. In my opinion, the Colleges and PEBC also have a vested financial interest in maintaining the IPG workforce (e.g. all the fees associated with licensure, applications, and examination attempts).”

(From last last year but similar as to what I have said. Know the market pretty well and people are now struggling to secure full-time jobs Calgary and Edmonton or apprenticeships. Actually has now spread to the outskirts). Would expect the salaries in AB to match Toronto/SW Ontario and Lower Mainland soon since pharmacists are heading to Alberta from ON and BC and flooding all the markets. Especially any mid to large sized city. Sadly predicted that salaries would be cut in half 15 years ago).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 yes both of us in canada, he is canadian Citizen, i am moroccan and i have a pgwp permit here ( did not have stable jobs here)...i am.in Canada since oct 2015
Would imagine you will be fine as long as there is no big red flags like large age differences, differences in religions assume you are both Muslims but in sects or differences like progressive/conservative, etc. there are unlikely to be problems. Only ha be a small glimpse at your profile. Would suggest you work on finding a job while your application is being processed. That can only help your application. If you are asking about OHIP and you are from a relatively conservative family, if you can’t live together before marriage, pregnancy does not help an application or speed up your application. Given that your OHIP could run out with your pgwp (unless you are on OWP and employed for at least 6 months) would really recommend considering getting pregnant after you have PR and have a job so you can work 600 hours and qualify for mat leave benefits. Finding a job while you are already pregnant can be difficult. You are often quite sick and tired during the 1st trimester, employers are reluctant to hire employees that they know are pregnant and will stop working soon, unless you have worked for a decent time period before pregnancy you also won’t qualify for disability (short term or longterm), etc. It is pretty common to have to take time off of work during pregnancy. Sometimes it can be for a week but can be months. Whether you need to be on bed rest for a week for a bit of bleeding or end up in the hospital for a few months with a picc line many woman have to take sick days when they are pregnant.

Last edited:
Reactions: siham44

siham44

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
@canuck78 yes you are right, we are muslims and arabs ( but different countries) but speak same language..i am 27 he is 31..we have the same education background..i am working right now but my contract will end soon and i already started looking for another job..but if i dont have a job is it a red flag? ( i will provide the shared finances i was helping with before the end of my job)..thanks a lot ! and thank you for yout help about ohip informations !

Last edited:

JohnUsmanov

Sep 4, 2018
We just arrived in Ontario, and I was wondering, as I am not able to show a proof of Ontario residency just yet, will my OHIP waiting time start from the moment I registered for OHIP with residency proof or from the date I entered Ontario and Canada in general.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We just arrived in Ontario, and I was wondering, as I am not able to show a proof of Ontario residency just yet, will my OHIP waiting time start from the moment I registered for OHIP with residency proof or from the date I entered Ontario and Canada in general.
Starts the day you can prove you landed in Ontario. No matter when you apply during the first 3 months the start date will be the same. Of course you need to bring proof of when you arrived in Ontario.

Reactions: JohnUsmanov

JohnUsmanov

Sep 4, 2018
Starts the day you can prove you landed in Ontario. No matter when you apply during the first 3 months the start date will be the same. Of course you need to bring proof of when you arrived in Ontario.
Thank you. I have landed on the 22nd July through the New York and Ontario Border and I have this in my landing papers. I am not sure when will I be able to get required proof of residence, maybe in a few weeks when we move into our apartment or when I sort out my driving license. Based on your response does it mean that the waiting period will start based on the date in my landing papers? Or from the date I get my proof of residency?
Again thanks for your reply guys,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. I have landed on the 22nd July through the New York and Ontario Border and I have this in my landing papers. I am not sure when will I be able to get required proof of residence, maybe in a few weeks when we move into our apartment or when I sort out my driving license. Based on your response does it mean that the waiting period will start based on the date in my landing papers? Or from the date I get my proof of residency?
Again thanks for your reply guys,
Landing date.

siham44

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
@canuck78 yes you are right, we are muslims and arabs ( but different countries) but speak same language..i am 27 he is 31..we have the same education background..i am working right now but my contract will end soon and i already started looking for another job..but if i dont have a job is it a red flag? ( i will provide the shared finances i was helping with before the end of my job)..thanks a lot ! and thank you for yout help about ohip informations !
@canuck78 i really appreciate ur help .being unemployed is a red flag?