+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP on SOWP

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Hello experts!

I am on PGWP in Canada and have OHIP insurance. I am employed full-time. My spouse recently came on SOWP to Canada and i was wondering if she is eligible for OHIP? Does she needs to be employed to get OHIP? we are expecting a baby soon so therefore i need to figure something out.

Please advise and thanks all

mvk88

Star Member
Mar 1, 2023
Hello experts!

I am on PGWP in Canada and have OHIP insurance. I am employed full-time. My spouse recently came on SOWP to Canada and i was wondering if she is eligible for OHIP? Does she needs to be employed to get OHIP? we are expecting a baby soon so therefore i need to figure something out.

She needs to work 6 months before she's eligible for OHIP.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hello experts!

Your spouse can apply for OHIP using your PGWP status and your employment letter stating you are working full time and will be employed for at least six months, plus 3 recent paystub. That's what Service Ontario required when my wife applied for OHIP as my dependent, same thing with my son.

She needs to work 6 months before she's eligible for OHIP.
My wife was able to apply for OHIP as my dependent.

See here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2

Who qualifies
With certain exceptions, to qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least 1 of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence
You must also meet at least 1 of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • are applying for permanent residence in Canada and:
    • have submitted an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and
    • IRCC has confirmed they have reviewed the application and that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply (see document requirements) and
    • you have not yet been denied
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-timein Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least 6 months
    • if you meet this requirement, your spouse and dependants may also qualify for OHIP
    • if your work permit has expired but you hold “maintained status”, you may be eligible (please contact ServiceOntario for further information)

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
Hello experts!

Hi there!

Congratulations on your upcoming baby!

Your spouse is eligible for OHIP if she is a spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is working in Ontario. She does not need to be employed herself to be eligible for OHIP.

To apply for OHIP, your spouse will need to provide the following documents:
  • Her passport
  • Her Canadian visa
  • Proof of her relationship to you (such as a marriage certificate or common-law partner declaration)
  • Proof of your employment in Ontario (such as a pay stub or letter from your employer)
She can apply for OHIP online, by mail, or in person at a ServiceOntario office.

Once she has been approved for OHIP, she will be able to access healthcare services in Ontario. This includes doctor's visits, hospital stays, and prescription drugs.

I hope this information is helpful.

Reactions: mapleleafpranjal

alfredo276

Sep 26, 2023
Hello experts!

any update on this?

alfredo276

Sep 26, 2023
Your spouse can apply for OHIP using your PGWP status and your employment letter stating you are working full time and will be employed for at least six months, plus 3 recent paystub. That's what Service Ontario required when my wife applied for OHIP as my dependent, same thing with my son.

My wife was able to apply for OHIP as my dependent.

See here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2

Who qualifies
With certain exceptions, to qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least 1 of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence
You must also meet at least 1 of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • are applying for permanent residence in Canada and:
    • have submitted an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and
    • IRCC has confirmed they have reviewed the application and that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply (see document requirements) and
    • you have not yet been denied
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-timein Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least 6 months
    • if you meet this requirement, your spouse and dependants may also qualify for OHIP
    • if your work permit has expired but you hold “maintained status”, you may be eligible (please contact ServiceOntario for further information)
Hi! Which Service Ontario did you go?

alfredo276

Sep 26, 2023
In Whitby
Thanks, I'll try there.

My situation (OWP exp2025, employed full time (6+ months) and living in Ontario for 6+ months. My wife has an OWP, exp 2025, but she is not working here. Service Ontario in Burlington told me today that she is not eligible because she needs to work here.:(
And now she's pregnant, so that's scaring me...

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Thanks, I'll try there.

My situation (OWP exp2025, employed full time (6+ months) and living in Ontario for 6+ months. My wife has an OWP, exp 2025, but she is not working here. Service Ontario in Burlington told me today that she is not eligible because she needs to work here.:(
Your wife can qualify on her own based on her SOWP. She can also qualify as your dependent. I got this directly crom Service Ontario in Whitby. Be sure to bring your pay stubs and employment letter.

Good luck!

Reactions: alfredo276

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, I'll try there.

You should get a letter from your employer that you have a full-time job that is scheduled to last over 6 months. Then your spouse should qualify for OHIP. People should ensure they have healthcare before getting pregnant.