+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP/Health card application - confused...?

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
Hi everyone,

I've always been pretty healthy, but in recent event where I fainted briefly due to low blood pressure, I became increasingly worried about my health. I never bothered to consider health insurance after UHIP, so I paid a good amount of money for the ambulance and emergency service. I was on PGWP and applied renewal of a closed work permit and I've worked at my company for more than 6 months now, so I thought I'm eligible for applying OHIP. Then I saw the this clause when researching:

"OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario."

I first came to Ontario in 2005 for school, then every year I went back to my home country for a brief visit, so I wasn't in Ontario consecutively. So my question is that I'm not just arrived, I have had an Ontario address for way more than 3 months, do I still wait for 3 months, or what's the situation?

Thanks very much!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, OHIP doesn't cover students so they probably give you coverage 3 months after you gained a status they would be willing to cover. Go talk to them about your situation and see what they say.

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
Leon said:
As far as I know, OHIP doesn't cover students so they probably give you coverage 3 months after you gained a status they would be willing to cover. Go talk to them about your situation and see what they say.
I'm not a student anymore, I was on PGWP but I recently got a legit full time job that I was able to renew my work permit. I have worked at the current company for 7 months now, do I still have to wait 3 months?

Elizabeth Joe

Star Member
May 3, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2011
AOR Received.
16-12-2011
File Transfer...
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
02-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2012
LANDED..........
24-04-2012
my understanding is that from the time you apply for health care you have to wait 3 months.