+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP eligible concern

hungnnnguyen

Nov 27, 2023
I just got a letter saying:

" This refers to the Application for Permanent Residence you made under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.

It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident until you and all your family members have met these requirements. "

Can I use this letter to apply for OHIP? Anyone know?

Thanks

Lili611

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
I just got a letter saying:

" This refers to the Application for Permanent Residence you made under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.

It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident until you and all your family members have met these requirements. "

Can I use this letter to apply for OHIP? Anyone know?

Thanks
Yes. Remember to bring passport, driver license (or anything to prove your address)

Btw, are you Viet?

hungnnnguyen

Nov 27, 2023
Yes. Remember to bring passport, driver license (or anything to prove your address)

Btw, are you Viet?
Yes I am Vietnamese.

I just went to Ontario service. They told me this letter not qualify for OHIP.
I need eCOPR sheet to apply the OHIP.

Lili611

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
Are you sure this location approve this letter for OHIP?
Mississauga is away 2 hours drive from my town. If you sure I can go there.
Thanks
Where are you living?

I can do a quick search. Looks like you’re from a small city and ServiceOnt there only provides ohip for PR or Citizen.

andygill11

May 5, 2018
Yes I am Vietnamese.

I just went to Ontario service. They told me this letter not qualify for OHIP.
I need eCOPR sheet to apply the OHIP.
You need to go to a “full service” Service Ontario. Give them a call on their main customer service number and they should be able to help you out with an appointment.
“Limited service” Service Ontario locations will not be able to help you with OHIP.

Reactions: hungnnnguyen

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to go to a “full service” Service Ontario. Give them a call on their main customer service number and they should be able to help you out with an appointment.
“Limited service” Service Ontario locations will not be able to help you with OHIP.
All service Ontario locations can deal with OHIP issues. Many locations do not know what AIP is and that inland sponsorship applicants with AIP are eligible for OHIP so going to the larger locations is a good idea.

Reactions: hungnnnguyen

hungnnnguyen

Nov 27, 2023
All service Ontario locations can deal with OHIP issues. Many locations do not know what AIP is and that inland sponsorship applicants with AIP are eligible for OHIP so going to the larger locations is a good idea.
You are right. I went to Whitby Ontario service and got OHIP for the wife.

2 hours drove from my town but got job done.

Thanks

Reactions: andygill11

andygill11

May 5, 2018
You are probably right. And the good thing is that the smaller Service Ontario locations will not show up when you use their website (https://eab.services.gov.on.ca/) to book appointment under the category "Apply for OHIP and get a health card (as a work permit holder or with another immigration status)" or when trying to book over the phone.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are probably right. And the good thing is that the smaller Service Ontario locations will not show up when you use their website (https://eab.services.gov.on.ca/) to book appointment under the category "Apply for OHIP and get a health card (as a work permit holder or with another immigration status)" or when trying to book over the phone.
It typically comes down the the knowledge of the staff members.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It typically comes down the the knowledge of the staff members.
That may be true, but there are some OHIP operations that cannot be done in the smaller ones (we had one or two of our family members that were directed to a full-service Service Ontario location).

And I'd wager that overall, the chances of having a more senior, more knowledgeable person in the full-service ones are higher. I was very impressed with the manager of the smaller one nearest us, but they referred us to the other immediately for that issue. The bigger one was a bit slower but did get it done.

Obviously YMMV. But there's a reason they're called full service.