+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Coverage for Spouse and Kid

pradeep_g5

May 4, 2011
Hi All,

I need your advise in understanding how the OHIP coverage works in my case. I am a PR staying in ontario from last 2.6 years, applied for my spouse’s and kids sponsorship in Dec 2013, Jan 2014 the case was accepted from Ottawa office and sent to New delhi for processing, the status says its under progress. I want to understand whether my spouse and kid will be eligible for OHIP coverage ?

I was reading the below forum and went to a service centre in toronto and they declined OHIP for us. now is need to know whether outland applicants residing in Toronto are covered? (wife and kid are staying with me from Oct 2013). please guide and et me know if you need more info. thanks.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario-t56695.0.html

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
pradeep_g5 said:
Hi All,

I need your advise in understanding how the OHIP coverage works in my case. I am a PR staying in ontario from last 2.6 years, applied for my spouse's and kids sponsorship in Dec 2013, Jan 2014 the case was accepted from Ottawa office and sent to New delhi for processing, the status says its under progress. I want to understand whether my spouse and kid will be eligible for OHIP coverage ?

I was reading the below forum and went to a service centre in toronto and they declined OHIP for us. now is need to know whether outland applicants residing in Toronto are covered? (wife and kid are staying with me from Oct 2013). please guide and et me know if you need more info. thanks.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario-t56695.0.html
No, they are not eligible for OHIP yet. See http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_eligibility.aspx

alicia13

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
28-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
14-Oct-2014
Passport Req..
19-Nov-2014
LANDED..........
1-Dec-2014
pradeep_g5 said:
Hi All,

I need your advise in understanding how the OHIP coverage works in my case. I am a PR staying in ontario from last 2.6 years, applied for my spouse's and kids sponsorship in Dec 2013, Jan 2014 the case was accepted from Ottawa office and sent to New delhi for processing, the status says its under progress. I want to understand whether my spouse and kid will be eligible for OHIP coverage ?

I'm an inland applicant residing in Ontario and I will not be eligible for OHIP until stage one approval (AIP, not the same as Outland stage one). There is also a three month waiting period once you apply before your coverage comes in effect.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
pradeep_g5 said:
Hi All,

Your spouse and child will not be eligible now. Their applications are not far enough along yet. Follow the directions described in the thread you've quoted. I would suggest going back to the Service Ontario Center in December 2014. They will probably refuse you again but you can then submit a review request to the OHIP Eligibility Review Committee. They will contact CIC to see if your PR Application is far enough along to grant you coverage.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Thanks Bart! Here's the golden post from that thread:

bartjones said:
I thought I would post this little update regarding OHIP coverage for your spouse if he or she lands in Ontario and starts living here before her PR application is approved. Here is what I found out.

A lot of people on this board and elsewhere have said that Reg. 552 only applies to inland applicants. That's not correct. Here is what I've learned.

After my wife was denied coverage at the Service Ontario Center I wrote to the OHIP Eligibility Review Committee (OERC) requesting a review of the Service Ontario representative's decision. The letter explained my wife's PR situation and enclosed the denial document as well as the letter I got from CIC approving me as sponsor.

So, yesterday I got a letter from the OERC enclosing a consent form for my wife to sign which will allow OERC to contact CIC and make inquiries about the status of her PR application. I spoke with the people at OERC by phone today and they told me this.

I had always thought that the outland PR process was a two step procedure; sponsorship approval/denial and then PR approval/denial. Unbeknownst to me, according to the OERC representative, in outland applications there is an intermediary step that the visa office goes through behind the scenes where they take a preliminary look at each application to determine if the applicant appears to be eligible for PR. Unlike inland applications where this step is called Stage One Approval, they don't tell the outland applicant anything about this step. If you appear to meet all the PR requirements your application then moves forward and someone looks at it later in more detail. If you get this interim approval they call you an "AFP", (Applicant For Permanent Residence).

So, as far as OHIP goes, once you sign the consent form allowing the OERC to communicate with CIC, the OERC will send a letter to the visa office where your application is being processed and inquire as to whether you are an "AFP". If CIC confirms that you are an AFP you can get OHIP three months after the date that CIC determined you were AFP. You don't need to wait for the final determination of your PR status.

Hopefully that clarifies matters for anyone who, like me, came to Canada with his wife before she had PR approval.
I'm glad all of this is behind us.

alicia13

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
28-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
14-Oct-2014
Passport Req..
19-Nov-2014
LANDED..........
1-Dec-2014
truesmile said:
Thanks Bart! Here's the golden post from that thread:

I'm glad all of this is behind us.
Hi truesmile,

What was your wife's status at the time? Had she ever had OHIP before?
I was on a work permit that expired at the end of March and now am waiting for my stage one approval.
I submitted an OWP permit with my INLAND application in the first week of Februaury.

Thank you!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
alicia13 said:
Hi truesmile,

I was on a work permit that expired at the end of March and now am waiting for my stage one approval.
I submitted an OWP permit with my Outland application in the first week of Februaury.

Thank you!
Just out of curiosity, how did you submit an OWP application with an OUTLAND sponsorship application?

alicia13

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
28-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
14-Oct-2014
Passport Req..
19-Nov-2014
LANDED..........
1-Dec-2014
zardoz said:
Just out of curiosity, how did you submit an OWP application with an OUTLAND sponsorship application?
Sorry, I had an early start, I'm an INLAND applicant!

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
alicia13 said:
Hi truesmile,

I submitted an OWP permit with my INLAND application in the first week of Februaury.

Thank you!
Hi Alicia,

That is bartjones post. He linked to the whole thread in his previous post, I went in to have a look and thought I would "quote" the most important post in the whole thread. Therefore, sorry I can't answer your question.

pradeep_g5

May 4, 2011
so guys, i am still confused about this, as per “truesmile" my wife and kid are eligible for OHIP with outland application however others say i am not, could you please confirm on how should i peruse this case, please guide, thanks

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
pradeep_g5 said:
so guys, i am still confused about this, as per “truesmile" my wife and kid are eligible for OHIP with outland application however others say i am not, could you please confirm on how should i peruse this case, please guide, thanks
from what is suggested above, it seems you need to start by contacting OHIP Eligibility Review Committee (OERC) and request a "review of the Service Ontario representative's decision." I would do what bartjones said he did and write a letter that explains your wife and child's PR situation and enclose the denial document as well as the letter from CIC approving you as sponsor. From what Bart suggests, as long OERC can confirm with CIC your wife and child are deemed AFP (applicant for permanent residence), they can be eligible for OHIP.