+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHI while processing the Canadian Citizenship cert

showmanshow

Nov 23, 2015
My son was born few months ago oversea. We submitted his application for citizenship certificate and hope to receive it by the End of 2016. We're planning to move back to Canada this May, and so we plan get him a limited validity passport for him to travel to Canada.

Can we apply for his OHI when he arrived in May with his Canada Limited Validity passport? keep in mind that his Canadian citizenship certificate will this in "In Progress" at that time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The Canadian passport will suffice for proof. However, there is a 3 month waiting period for OHIP, so he will not be covered during that time.

showmanshow

Nov 23, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
The Canadian passport will suffice for proof. However, there is a 3 month waiting period for OHIP, so he will not be covered during that time.
that's the thing, is not like the normal Canadian passport. The passport he will use is called "Canadian limited validity passport". Basically a temporary passport for people in need to travel while waiting for the "Canadian Citizenship certificate" to be proceeded.

So if my newborn entering Canada with 'Canadian limited validity passport', can he still apply for Heath insurance right away?

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
As far as I can tell, it is still a Canadian passport, even though it is limited validity. I believe, it should suffice for the Health Ministry office to grant your son the provincial medical coverage once the waiting period is over.

Yet, you may go over the eligibility requirements here or give them a call - <a href=http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_eligibility.aspx>OHIP Eligibility Requirements</a>

Also, since there is a 3-month waiting period, you may get a private insurance policy for that time to cover possible medical emergencies.

You can look up the information and calculate a personal quote using this website - <a href=https://arbetovinsurance.com/new-immigrants-canada-insurance/>Temporary Medical Insurance</a>

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
showmanshow said:
that's the thing, is not like the normal Canadian passport. The passport he will use is called "Canadian limited validity passport". Basically a temporary passport for people in need to travel while waiting for the "Canadian Citizenship certificate" to be proceeded.

So if my newborn entering Canada with 'Canadian limited validity passport', can he still apply for Heath insurance right away?
It is a Canadian passport, end of. It is only given to Canadian citizens, therefore it is perfectly acceptable as proof of citizenship.