+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Official Translation of Passport

Edmoney

Jan 26, 2016
HEllo..

My test was on 4th Jan in Edmonton, during the interview CO told me as some of the stamps in my old passport were Arabic and couldn't read, may request translation for those if couldn't get enough info from CBSA, I got the letter and in that asking "Official Translation for passport # xxxxx" - Is this means only the pages that don't have the non-English stamp be translated or any other formality?

emydoov

Star Member
May 17, 2010
Cairo
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo Egypt
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2010
Doc's Request.
23-08-2010
AOR Received.
18-10-2010
Med's Request
08-3-2012
Med's Done....
17-3-2012
Hello I have the same issue, i would like to know from you what was your status after that
i will submit my citizenship application in May , i would like to know if i have to translate the passport or not and if it is only the page of the arabic stamp or all of the passport ?

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emydoov said:
Hello I have the same issue, i would like to know from you what was your status after that
i will submit my citizenship application in May , i would like to know if i have to translate the passport or not and if it is only the page of the arabic stamp or all of the passport ?
For the initial application you only need copy of biographical page(s).

I had two non English stamps in my passport an I had only those translated and took it with me to the test/interview. The officer there added them to my file after she compared my passport with declared trael dates.

emydoov

Star Member
May 17, 2010
Cairo
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo Egypt
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2010
Doc's Request.
23-08-2010
AOR Received.
18-10-2010
Med's Request
08-3-2012
Med's Done....
17-3-2012
so did they tell you that they need the translation of the stamps with you in the interview day or you just took it incase ?
Also in the cic they mention that you can translate it normally , with any person who knows the language and then go to commissioner so you swear that you translated correctly , which path did u take ?

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emydoov said:
so did they tell you that they need the translation of the stamps with you in the interview day or you just took it incase ?
Also in the cic they mention that you can translate it normally , with any person who knows the language and then go to commissioner so you swear that you translated correctly , which path did u take ?
I took the translation to the test without being asked for it. reasoning was that they are in the passport and the officer will see them at the interview so I brought them to save time.

I had a translator that is registered do it so no need for commissioner.

emydoov

Star Member
May 17, 2010
Cairo
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo Egypt
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2010
Doc's Request.
23-08-2010
AOR Received.
18-10-2010
Med's Request
08-3-2012
Med's Done....
17-3-2012
Thanks so i need anyway to translate them
Ok that is great , and i ll only translate the arabic stamps
thanks alot for your reply

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emydoov said:
Thanks so i need anyway to translate them
Ok that is great , and i ll only translate the arabic stamps
thanks alot for your reply
You are welcome! All the best for your application and that you become a citizen soon!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Reminder: all applicants are advised to obtain properly authenticated translations of any non-official language present in any of the documents to be gathered. See the instruction guide and information related to "Gather Documents."

This is standard across most of the immigration related applications. Documents containing non-official language text must be accompanied by properly authenticated translations.

Since applicants do not ordinarily present their full passport until the documents verification interview (typically done attendant test), and only submit a copy of the biographical pages with the application itself, many either overlook, forget, or deliberately ignore the instructions relative to non-official language in passport stamps.

Whether or not that is problematic at the interview depends. I deliberately did not get a translation for stamps dated prior to my landing as a PR, but the dates of those stamps were readily recognized as such, and the stamps were also readily understood in context with other stamps on the same page. Nonetheless, I did this knowing that technically the instructions required me to provide a properly authenticated translation, and the interviewer could have taken note that I had failed to follow the instructions.

In any event: all applicants are instructed to obtain properly authenticated translations of any entries in documents which are not in an official language.

In other words it is correct to say one was not asked, because actually all have been instructed. And again, this is standard, so there really should be no confusion about the obligation . . . even if, like me, some feel it will be easy to get away with not following this particular instruction.

Joe Joe

Star Member
Aug 28, 2016
Hi, I got my non English stamps translated, but he did give me the translation separate, like he did stamp the copy of my stamps and stamped the translation and gave me all in a paper clip. The question is would the officer know that this is the translation of this copy .