+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 11th 2017 - Citizenship Applicants under 3/5 rule

zorroo

Apr 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi... I noticed that my status finally changed to "Decision Made" this morning after 15 months. However, there is no information about the ceremony invitation. Do they usually send a separate email later? Thanks
Congrats! when was your test/interview date?

ersar

Star Member
Nov 27, 2017
I sent an webform a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard back yet - the response time was pretty quick right after my 12-month period was done, I usually would get the same response (at least some response lol) within 2 or 3 days, and I hadn't sent any since I got my test invite -- but now it seems like they are back to the 'ignore' mode

One thing that always puzzles me is: they could have just given a little bit more information on our status than just 'XXX checking is pending' , but they chose not too - if they give some information on where/what the delay is about, at least we could have some idea and ask them less ... but that's how this office works and there's no hope of them ever changing...
I am in the same situation still in process and they say background check is on progress with no specific timeline! They say it’s normal for non routine applications I am not sure why I am non routine any way

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I am in the same situation still in process and they say background check is on progress with no specific timeline! They say it’s normal for non routine applications I am not sure why I am non routine any way
But mine is not non-routine
After waiting for so long it sure feels like a non-routine, but I asked them every time I call IRCC and was told my case is normal , not non-routine - I feel like I am winning lottery here

ersar

Star Member
Nov 27, 2017
But mine is not non-routine
After waiting for so long it sure feels like a non-routine, but I asked them every time I call IRCC and was told my case is normal , not non-routine - I feel like I am winning lottery here
They didn’t tell me either. They told my MP. In general if your application after test doesn’t say DM means you are required further screening and checks.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
They didn’t tell me either. They told my MP. In general if your application after test doesn’t say DM means you are required further screening and checks.
My MP’s office checked with them and few days ago, never mentioned any non-routine stuff...

cn2017

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017

Sorry to hear that, unfortunately my situation is the same, still waiting for the test invite after 16 months! I can explain why it's non routine, 1- they discriminate against mostly males from certain regions, which is against the human rights that they preach to other countries 2- your agent is as useless as mine. Basically, when someone doesn't do their job and the application goes over time they simply call it non routine to use that as an excuse so people don't question their incompetency and lack of responsibility and accountability. That's why they have no reason to give you to explain why it's non routine. They said the same BS to me and I know my application is sitting there untouched. I already did two federal background checks for my job and they both finished in one week with the snow storms and everything. So, there is no way a background check can take this long unless some irresponsible agent is not doing his/her job. These background checks are not complicated or long at all. I have done those many time because I needed special security clearance for my job and they never take more than a week. The rest that they tell you is just BS to cover themselves. I have never seen any organization give you this much BS, even corrupt third world countries have a better system and more transparency. I read in some forums that many people with criminal background got their security clearance faster than some of us and I find this insulting. I truly regret coming to this country, too bad I wasted too long here and difficult to move somewhere else, but I will if I can. Good luck to all.

Last edited:

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Sorry to hear that, unfortunately my situation is the same, still waiting for the test invite after 16 months! I can explain why it's non routine, 1- they discriminate against mostly males from certain regions, which is against the human rights that they preach to other countries 2- your agent is as useless as mine. Basically, when someone doesn't do their job and the application goes over time they simply call it non routine to use that as an excuse so people don't question their incompetency and lack of responsibility and accountability. That's why they have no reason to give you to explain why it's non routine. They said the same BS to me and I know my application is sitting there untouched. I already did two federal background checks for my job and they both finished in one week with the snow storms and everything. So, there is no way a background check can take this long unless some irresponsible agent is not doing his/her job. These background checks are not complicated or long at all. I have done those many time because I needed special security clearance for my job and they never take more than a week. The rest that they tell you is just BS to cover themselves. I have never seen any organization give you this much BS, even corrupt third world countries have a better system and more transparency. I read in some forums that many people with criminal background got their security clearance faster than some of us and I find this insulting. I truly regret coming to this country, too bad I wasted too long here and difficult to move somewhere else, but I will if I can. Good luck to all.
I raised the same question to the IRCC agent: I had just renewed my PR in the fall, and I had updated my Nexus recently, both of would require the background checks and they were done within a week or less.... but the IRCC agent would say: but this is for citizenship and the procedures are different and wouldn't say how... so basically if you have potential tie to criminal or terrorists it would be OK to let you be a PR and take flights with less strict security search? How does that even make sense...

ersar

Star Member
Nov 27, 2017
Sucks eh! I know the reason why my application is delayed. My passport was expired for 2 years and I had not renewed it. That was potentially a reason. Any little thing can set you off for more checks! Did you have any?

cn2017

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks eh! I know the reason why my application is delayed. My passport was expired for 2 years and I had not renewed it. That was potentially a reason. Any little thing can set you off for more checks! Did you have any?
None!

Expired passport means less travel hence less background check - it may make the process faster but certainly not slower. If that's what they told you you can be sure it was another BS they say. Are you waiting for the test?

Last edited:

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
It is not the background check that takes time, it's the due date they mark your application with. For instance, they run a preliminary background check (answer actually comes back in seconds) and they receive a warning or something of that sort (probably due to your country of origin, a lot of travels, name mismatch, related to someone with troubles, etc), so they call for a more detailed one. However, at the same time they call for the detailed check, and for some strange different reason with each agent, they mark your application for future due processing in 1 month, 2 monthjs, 6 months, 8 months, 1 year, etc. This way, your application sits in a queue now waiting for its turn till the due date comes, even though the result of detailed background check has come through already. Another agent picks up your application on the due date, but realizes that something extra still needs to be done, issues another background check and marks your application with another due date in 6 months, 1 year, and so on and so on.

Reality is some agents take their job more seriously than others. My ATIP notes show that the last time my application was updated by anyone was last year in May. Only thing pending was security check, and they decided to mark my application for the next due date this upcoming March. Does that mean it will get processed and I get called for my test? Not necessarily, since my ATIP notes show that they already scheduled me last year in March for a test, but for some reason (without any mention why on the notes), the new agent decided to cancel that request and mark my due date for next year.

Can I do anything about this? So far I tried everything I can, I am frustrated, angry, and sad. There is nothing we can do, we are the mercy of some agent's hands out there who will one day decide to speed up the process, or keep postponing our processing dates.

Yet, I still wish good luck to all of us still waiting for a long time.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
It is not the background check that takes time, it's the due date they mark your application with. For instance, they run a preliminary background check (answer actually comes back in seconds) and they receive a warning or something of that sort (probably due to your country of origin, a lot of travels, name mismatch, related to someone with troubles, etc), so they call for a more detailed one. However, at the same time they call for the detailed check, and for some strange different reason with each agent, they mark your application for future due processing in 1 month, 2 monthjs, 6 months, 8 months, 1 year, etc. This way, your application sits in a queue now waiting for its turn till the due date comes, even though the result of detailed background check has come through already. Another agent picks up your application on the due date, but realizes that something extra still needs to be done, issues another background check and marks your application with another due date in 6 months, 1 year, and so on and so on.

Reality is some agents take their job more seriously than others. My ATIP notes show that the last time my application was updated by anyone was last year in May. Only thing pending was security check, and they decided to mark my application for the next due date this upcoming March. Does that mean it will get processed and I get called for my test? Not necessarily, since my ATIP notes show that they already scheduled me last year in March for a test, but for some reason (without any mention why on the notes), the new agent decided to cancel that request and mark my due date for next year.

Can I do anything about this? So far I tried everything I can, I am frustrated, angry, and sad. There is nothing we can do, we are the mercy of some agent's hands out there who will one day decide to speed up the process, or keep postponing our processing dates.

Yet, I still wish good luck to all of us still waiting for a long time.
The 'Due Date' means nothing .. at least in my case it is nothing.. since my due date for the entire process was in last Oct, one year after my submission, yet 4 months later I am still waiting for DM and oath

rasmy

Nov 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My due date( am not pregnant:)) is February 22, 2019. Lets see what happens. I will do ATIP past due date.