App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Waiting for an update to the OCI application for my child. Received acknowledgement on 14 sep on oci services but no updates thereafter.
We are planning to travel in the fourth week of October, is it possible that i can apply for a visitor Visa for my child? If so, what are the timelines for visitor visa?
A suggestion would be to apply for entry visa at BLS. It normally takes 7 business days to process.
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/entryvisa.php

Reactions: sasha0007

erable_rouge

Mar 5, 2014
Ontario
App. Filed.......
29-04-2016
Doc's Request.
05-31-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1:- 1 June 2016 ; AOR2:- 29 June 2016
IELTS Request
Sent with application
LANDED..........
3 Aug 2017
hi folks, any idea if BLS Toronto accepting walk-in applications for OCI ?

Below is from BLS website -

BLS (Brampton, Toronto & Winnipeg) centers are open for walk-ins by Appointment only. You need to carry the printout of your appointment confirmation for entry.

(Only Visa applicants can walk in without appointment)
Hi,

I submitted my application last week, without an appointment at the Brampton center. Their website is not updated /maintained as expected.

erable_rouge

Mar 5, 2014
Ontario
App. Filed.......
29-04-2016
Doc's Request.
05-31-2017
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
Sent with application
LANDED..........
3 Aug 2017
Any idea if going around 8:30 in morning , i will still stand a chance ?
Earlier the better.. The queue moves fast. You, you might have to stand in the cold and rain. I reached there at 7:45 am.

Last edited:

erable_rouge

Mar 5, 2014
Ontario
App. Filed.......
29-04-2016
Doc's Request.
05-31-2017
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
Sent with application
LANDED..........
3 Aug 2017
Hi , after gaining canadian citizenship can I go back to India and apply for oci in india?
No. It is a crime to travel on an Indian passport after acquiring foreign citizenship.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Waiting for an update to the OCI application for my child. Received acknowledgement on 14 sep on oci services but no updates thereafter.
We are planning to travel in the fourth week of October, is it possible that i can apply for a visitor Visa for my child? If so, what are the timelines for visitor visa?
You should see some update tomorrow or day after. You will likely have the OCI booklet before you travel. The usual timeline for the OCI booklet to reach the consulate in Canada from New Delhi is 3 weeks from the date of acknowledgement.

People on a tourist visa are not allowed to enter India at this time so I'm gonna say no to that question.

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
I have a question.

My wife received her Canadian passport today. We need to travel by month-end October and basically, don't have time to get OCI ( As it takes 6-8 weeks). So planning to apply for an Indian ( Entry Visa, processing time 2 weeks ). One of the requirements for the same is to produce a "Surrender Certificate". So how can we manage the same? As surrender certificate will take at least 2 weeks even if applied immediately. Al suggestions are welcome.
Thanks In Advance.

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
You should see some update tomorrow or day after. You will likely have the OCI booklet before you travel. The usual timeline for the OCI booklet to reach the consulate in Canada from New Delhi is 3 weeks from the date of acknowledgement.

People on a tourist visa are not allowed to enter India at this time so I'm gonna say no to that question.
The OCI is almost taking 6 weeks ( Application to Delivery by Purolator). The processing time for India VISA is 2 weeks,

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
No. It is a crime to travel on an Indian passport after acquiring foreign citizenship.

Even after acquiring Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. The grace period is only for such cases where foreign citizenship has been acquired but a foreign passport is not available to the person. It is also mentioned that it is illegal to travel on an Indian passport, where a person has obtained a foreign passport.

https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/surrender-certificate/

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
The OCI is almost taking 6 weeks ( Application to Delivery by Purolator). The processing time for India VISA is 2 weeks,
Yes but AFAIK, you cannot enter India on a tourist visa now. I don't see the point in getting a visa that you cannot use?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-in/information/incident/coronavirus/entry-requirements#india
  • All currently suspended visas are restored from 21 October 2020, except electronic visas, tourist visas and medical visas
I have a question.

My wife received her Canadian passport today. We need to travel by month-end October and basically, don't have time to get OCI ( As it takes 6-8 weeks). So planning to apply for an Indian ( Entry Visa, processing time 2 weeks ). One of the requirements for the same is to produce a "Surrender Certificate". So how can we manage the same? As surrender certificate will take at least 2 weeks even if applied immediately. Al suggestions are welcome.
Thanks In Advance.
The entry visa is also like a tourist visa AFAIK. Please call BLS and clarify it with them and see if you can travel to India on an entry visa. If yes, ask them if you can submit your surrender and your entry visa applications together. Also, call a few airlines and check with them if they'll allow entry visa holders to board the plane. The last thing you want is to go to the airport and then discover that you're not eligible to travel.

You do not have to wait until your surrender process is done. Also, surrender process takes 3 - 5 weeks, not 2 weeks. The processing time has now been updated to 8 weeks for surrender for Toronto jurisdiction. I submitted my application on 31st August and received my surrender certificate in the mail today.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharadsinha