+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Loriboo said:
I am wondering if anyone knows what is back ground/Security check and How long it takes?
I dont know about the back ground verification but it takes a month for them to send you the OCI booklet from the time you applied.

Loriboo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2015
I cleared my CIC test last year on august 5 in Hamilton Ontario, its been over 6 months since and 15 months since I applied (November 2014), I have not heard from CIC after the test, as per online, I should get the Oath in 6 months, unfortunately, I have not received the oath invitation yet, When I called them, they said, everything is good in my file, they started a back ground/security check on February 9 this year, a decision will be made soon. I am wondering if anyone knows what is back ground/Security check and How long it takes?

sarayu

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Nov-2012
Nomination.....
29-Mar-2012 Nomination Extn: 28-Sep-2012
AOR Received.
13-Jan-2013
Med's Request
16-Jan-2013
Med's Done....
25-Jan-2013 ECAS "Med Rec": 21-Mar-2013 In Process: 05-Sep-2013 Decision Made: 05-Oct-2013
Passport Req..
07-Oct-2013 & 20-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
10-Mar-2014
Hello,

I am an Indian citizen and permanent resident of Canada. I have two sons (2 and 5 years old...both are US citizens).

I have submitted applications for converting their PIO cards to OCI on July 31, 2015 at BLS office in Calgary, Alberta.

It's already 7 months since we submitted applications and never heard back anything from the Indian Consulate in Vancouver.

While we submitted the applications at BLS, they said, it takes more time because my sons are NOT Canadian citizens and their PIO cards were issued in the USA. So, they said, Vancouver Indian Consulate has to get clearance from the USA where my sons PIO cards were initially issued. After that Vancouver Indian Consulate will contact us.

But, as I said, it's already 7 months now. Is it really going to take this much time to issue OCI cards for the minors?

I have tried contacting Vancouver Indian Consulate but nothing helpful. I can't find any phone number where I can contact Indian Consulate in Vancouver.

Please do let me know if any of you faced such kind of delay in obtaining OCI cards. Also, request you to let me know any better ideas you may have.

Thanks a lot.

-Sarayu.

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can anyone tell me please what original documents we need to submit for OCi card?

And if we upload photo online; do we still need to include one extra photo alongwith the application form? or that uploaded photo is enough?

Thanks

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
sarayu said:
Hello,

I am an Indian citizen and permanent resident of Canada. I have two sons (2 and 5 years old...both are US citizens).

I have submitted applications for converting their PIO cards to OCI on July 31, 2015 at BLS office in Calgary, Alberta.

It's already 7 months since we submitted applications and never heard back anything from the Indian Consulate in Vancouver.

While we submitted the applications at BLS, they said, it takes more time because my sons are NOT Canadian citizens and their PIO cards were issued in the USA. So, they said, Vancouver Indian Consulate has to get clearance from the USA where my sons PIO cards were initially issued. After that Vancouver Indian Consulate will contact us.

But, as I said, it's already 7 months now. Is it really going to take this much time to issue OCI cards for the minors?

I have tried contacting Vancouver Indian Consulate but nothing helpful. I can't find any phone number where I can contact Indian Consulate in Vancouver.

Please do let me know if any of you faced such kind of delay in obtaining OCI cards. Also, request you to let me know any better ideas you may have.

Thanks a lot.

-Sarayu.
Have you considered contacting directly the concerned Indian Consulate. BLS works as service providers for Consulates, may be no harm in directly contacting Consulate & ask their help, as it should NOT take that long.

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tiarachel85 said:
Can anyone tell me please what original documents we need to submit for OCi card?

And if we upload photo online; do we still need to include one extra photo alongwith the application form? or that uploaded photo is enough?

Thanks

sarayu

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Nov-2012
Nomination.....
29-Mar-2012 Nomination Extn: 28-Sep-2012
AOR Received.
13-Jan-2013
Med's Request
16-Jan-2013
Med's Done....
25-Jan-2013 ECAS "Med Rec": 21-Mar-2013 In Process: 05-Sep-2013 Decision Made: 05-Oct-2013
Passport Req..
07-Oct-2013 & 20-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
10-Mar-2014
Canadiandesi2006 said:
Have you considered contacting directly the concerned Indian Consulate. BLS works as service providers for Consulates, may be no harm in directly contacting Consulate & ask their help, as it should NOT take that long.
Hi Canadiandesi2006,

Thanks for your reply.

It's really strange that there is no way that anyone can contact Indian Consulate in Vancouver. I have tried calling them but they ONLY have automated service that says to contact BLS for anything. Really fed up with their services.

Any other ideas?

By the way, I just contacted Calgary BLS office a couple days ago and they said they will contact someone at the Indian Consulate and let me know of the status. I have to talk to them again tomorrow.

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
tiarachel85 said:

Thanks

I also wanna know the same

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
tiarachel85 said:

Thanks
Haven't done it yet... planning and asked the BLS, so yes, u need to paste the pic on the application even if u uploaded the digital image.
Original Canadian Passport (returned after High Commission Officers see it, not sure what they need to see it for...)
All Cancelled Indian Passport(s) one with the landing stamp and the one that was cancelled after receiving Canadian citizenship
Original landing Doc
Original Citizenship certificate (not sure if these need to be seen by the High Commission Officer and not just the BLS...
It would make sense that one person sees returns it (much safer... but well, it's the Indian bureaucratic rules)
Drivers License
Not sure of what this proof of work status/ PR card (nobody would have original PR card once Canadian)

This list seems totally ridiculous... this whole OCI seems to be a very challenging affair...

The checklist seems to be endless and absolutely not clear (doesn't even read like a checklist!!!)

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
sarayu said:
Hi Canadiandesi2006,

Thanks for your reply.

It's really strange that there is no way that anyone can contact Indian Consulate in Vancouver. I have tried calling them but they ONLY have automated service that says to contact BLS for anything. Really fed up with their services.

Any other ideas?

By the way, I just contacted Calgary BLS office a couple days ago and they said they will contact someone at the Indian Consulate and let me know of the status. I have to talk to them again tomorrow.
BLS initially did good job but now turned worst than Indian Consulate in service and greed to make money someway or other.

Couple of months back, I went with my wife to collect her Passport and OCI booklet from BLS office. They demanded we pay $35 for courier as they prefer to send by courier instead of giving it to her personally, despite of showing all ID cards..... :eek:

BLS service is terrible, I was ashamed to see even the foreigners were screaming as they were made to visit multiple times for small things.

Well, you might write and send a registered mail to Consulate General of your area, explaining the difficulty you facing.

pramen1

Jan 15, 2016
MCBoy said:
Guys, Do I have to take a notary affidavit along with Marriage certificate for OCI? Neither our passports has each other's names on it, nor it is "apostiled" by MOIA-New Delhi.

Any help?
Yes, at least I didn't took and they asked me to come back with it. Brampton office.

pramen1

Jan 15, 2016
gjp said:
My wife and I have OCI. One of my sons has a PIO. I am not planning to convert it to OCI due to the pain of gathering all documents/waiting at BLS, etc. First they said PIO cards are deemed as OCI cards. Now, there is another statement saying that PIO card holders have to apply for OCI before March 31, 2016. If they say that PIO cards are not valid after 31st March, I am planning to apply for 10 year multiple entry visa which seem to require less paperwork (at least based on the checklist on BLS). Though OCI is claimed as "lifelong", we have to go through the pain again when my son is 20 years old or when I become 50 years old. They may scrap OCI and bring something else by then and we may have to again go to BLS and it is never ending.
Actually you need less documents for PIO to OCI. But it's take time as they need clearance if consulate is different. Good side is they don't take PIO card when you apply. Also I'm not sure but I heard they increased deadline to apply in free till end of June.

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
pramen1 said:
Actually you need less documents for PIO to OCI. But it's take time as they need clearance if consulate is different. Good side is they don't take PIO card when you apply. Also I'm not sure but I heard they increased deadline to apply in free till end of June.
Looking at the checklist, I think they need the same documents like a new OCI applicant. Yes, they have extended the deadline to 30th June. I will be applying for the conversion in the next couple of weeks.

maple05

Aug 21, 2014
Hi Sarayu,

This would be my suggestion.Write a email addressing it to indiapscg@telus.net (I see in the vancouver CGI website).Make sure you are addressing to Mr.Shammi Arora and copy indiacg@telus.net (Consul General in Vancouver).Clearly document your issue provide information on the application online number, passport number and when was it submitted to BLS calgary.

wait for 3 to days and send a email with to address as indiacg@telus.net addressing to Consul General Mr.Rajiv Kumar Chander.

Give it few days and send out email asking status again.I have seen in the past that when you address it to these Consul's directly action is taken and response is provided.

sarayu said:
Hi Canadiandesi2006,

Thanks for your reply.

Any other ideas?