+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

wilts001

Jul 10, 2017
I am a Canadian citizen living in the US on a green card. I have been residing in the US for over two decades but never applied for Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI). The current situation has prompted me to explore the OCI application process.

I received valuable assistance from @abbas.pasha, who guided me on creating a name change affidavit because I had omitted my middle name during my Canadian citizenship process. There were some comments on this thread about consulates in US not accepting applications from Canadians in the US. While searching for Canadians who recently applied for OCI in the US, I couldn't find any relevant information. I am sharing my experience here, hoping it might help others in a similar situation.

Here is my timeline.
  1. Application received by VFS Global New York: October 16th (Exact wording: We have ‘Received’ your Application and your application is now ‘Under Process’ at New York and will be submitted to the Mission for decision making. )
  2. Your Application has been ‘Processed’ at the VFS India Consular application Centre and currently is ‘In-Transit‘ to the Embassy of India/Consulate General of India for decision making.: October 18th
  3. On Government of India site:
    1. Date of Acknolwedgement: 20 OCT 2023 (Indian time)
    2. Registration Status at Mission: New York CGI
    3. OCI Application Status: Under Process
What does this mean? Did it go to New Delhi and is being processed? Please chime in.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Does anyone have experience with this?
One person of the family can submit on behalf of the rest of the family.

the documents in checklist are sufficient.
only concern would be the photo that you will include. Chances are BLS might reject the photos and ask you to get the clicked at the BLS centre. In this scenario it’s better to bring your spouse along

Reactions: bilafad391

bilafad391

Oct 19, 2023
One person of the family can submit on behalf of the rest of the family.

the documents in checklist are sufficient.
only concern would be the photo that you will include. Chances are BLS might reject the photos and ask you to get the clicked at the BLS centre. In this scenario it’s better to bring your spouse along
I am only applying for my wife, not me. Would that be a concern?

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a Canadian citizen living in the US on a green card. I have been residing in the US for over two decades but never applied for Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI). The current situation has prompted me to explore the OCI application process.

I received valuable assistance from @abbas.pasha, who guided me on creating a name change affidavit because I had omitted my middle name during my Canadian citizenship process. There were some comments on this thread about consulates in US not accepting applications from Canadians in the US. While searching for Canadians who recently applied for OCI in the US, I couldn't find any relevant information. I am sharing my experience here, hoping it might help others in a similar situation.

Here is my timeline.
  1. Application received by VFS Global New York: October 16th (Exact wording: We have ‘Received’ your Application and your application is now ‘Under Process’ at New York and will be submitted to the Mission for decision making. )
  2. Your Application has been ‘Processed’ at the VFS India Consular application Centre and currently is ‘In-Transit‘ to the Embassy of India/Consulate General of India for decision making.: October 18th
  3. On Government of India site:
    1. Date of Acknolwedgement: 20 OCT 2023 (Indian time)
    2. Registration Status at Mission: New York CGI
    3. OCI Application Status: Under Process
What does this mean? Did it go to New Delhi and is being processed? Please chime in.
Yes, there was some confusion in US around 9-10 days back. Couple of persons had posted this on a Facebook group. They had highlighed issue at Atlanta embassy & VFS SFO. Unfortunately I am not able to attach screenshot here.

missbee23

Oct 17, 2023
Yes, there was some confusion in US around 9-10 days back. Couple of persons had posted this on a Facebook group. They had highlighed issue at Atlanta embassy & VFS SFO. Unfortunately I am not able to attach screenshot here.
But is the confusion cleared, and is the US processing OCI for Canadians now? I’m curious because I am a U.S.citizen and will apply as a foreign spouse, but my Indian origin husband is a Canadian citizen.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

fshaik

Oct 3, 2023
Can I submit OCI application on behalf of my wife? Or does she need to be present?

If allowed, what documents would I need to show to ensure there is no issue?
Yes, I submitted my wife's application. Make sure you are not missing any signatures anywhere including photo copies of your wife. There is no additional document needed.

Reactions: bilafad391

fshaik

Oct 3, 2023
Yours changed to "Processed" today isn't it? The consulate has to sign and stamp it and then pass on to BLS. Usualy happens in a day or two but could take longer. At that point the BLS site will update the status. No point in attempting to pickup before then.
Yeah, Just wanted to go if at all it arrived. Usually they ship it next day so I assumed they received it today evening (saw Purolator coming in at the centre to drop and pick). likely they have received it today need to wait another day or two.

wilts001

Jul 10, 2017
I had received some contradictory information regarding OCI for Canadians, then I sent a message on CGINY web site (called pramit). I received a response from them telling me that I could apply. I suggest anyone with questions within New York consulate jurisidiction to send an inquiry through PRAMIT. Here is the link:

https://pramit.indiainnewyork.gov.in/

PRAMIT is specific to NY consulate. Other consulates in the US may have a similar messaging system

Last edited:
Reactions: missbee23

ANo92

Oct 19, 2023
Hello all, question for a newbie here.
I am applying for OCI under past parental citizenship so I can travel to India in the holidays. I was born in Canada and never had an Indian passport so I will need to show relationship to parents.

Unfortunately my birth certificate does not specify parentage. I only have a baptismal certificate which shows my parents.
Question:
- Will I HAVE to request a birth certificate with parentage from the province or is there any way a baptism certificate with the birth certificate will fly?

My concern is the time it will take to get the birth certificate

123carry@

Oct 19, 2023
That's correct. Right now its taking 16-17 days for Ack, no surprise Oct folks are still waiting. It was about 13 days for most people in the whole of September. Also note that sept 30 -Oct 2 was a long weekend for the consulate but not for BLS. That also could have contributed to some backlog. In addition to the increased influx in recent weeks.
I am on same boat application oct 3 waiting for Ack