+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Hello Everyone,

This is a query and I am trying to get some information.

I got my Canadian citizenship in the month of August and got my Canadian passport in October. I am willing to surrender my citizenship but I got my marriage scheduled in India in the month of Jan 2023. I tried to surrender my passport and went to BLS Toronto twice(walk-in waited in the line for hours and at last returned), If I surrender now I am not sure if I will be able to get the OCI by the end of December(travel dates are scheduled for Xmas holidays)

Question 1: Can I travel to India with both passports, I know India allows 3 months of travel in case of emergency but is marriage considered an emergency?

Question 2: What can be the difficulties posed by Indian immigration(except fines), arrival and departure from India

Please do suggest any loopholes. I tried to do everything according to the book, but I am falling late because of an appointment at BLS Toronto.
you have aadhar card?

Slowmoving

Star Member
May 13, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I got my Canadian citizenship in the month of August and got my Canadian passport in October. I am willing to surrender my citizenship but I got my marriage scheduled in India in the month of Jan 2023. I tried to surrender my passport and went to BLS Toronto twice(walk-in waited in the line for hours and at last returned), If I surrender now I am not sure if I will be able to get the OCI by the end of December(travel dates are scheduled for Xmas holidays)

Question 1: Can I travel to India with both passports, I know India allows 3 months of travel in case of emergency but is marriage considered an emergency?

Question 2: What can be the difficulties posed by Indian immigration(except fines), arrival and departure from India

Please do suggest any loopholes. I tried to do everything according to the book, but I am falling late because of an appointment at BLS Toronto.

Your best bet is to apply for surrender certificate + entry visa at the same time. There is still time for this. Too late for OCI.

I would say dont try to travel into india with indian passport and then try to exit with canadian passport.

talukdar8

Apr 15, 2019
Hi folks,
I have submitted my 'Surrender Certificate' postal application to Brampton BLS and the docs got delivered on 31st Oct.

Question - When should I start tracking in BLS Website because the Passport Seva website still says 'application submitted..'
Also while tracking in BLS Site, which option should I choose? It doesn't have any option for 'PAssport Services'. It has 'Passport Application' which is not same.

Can anyone advise on these questions

arc203

Oct 28, 2022
Hello Everyone,

you're well past the grace period. I recall there was info on the CGI webpage or indian governments webpage that says the your citizenship status starts counting down from the day you give your oath and not from the day you receive your passport. Look it up to confirm or somebody else on here might have a different experience.

And yes, its a risk to travel with the Indian passport as it really up to the discretion of the immigration authority whether they pull you aside or let you in. Not worth it if you're past your grace period

KrishHH

Star Member
May 18, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2016
September 22nd walk-in applicants to Brampton. Saw updates for my wife's application as processed with OCI number. Me and my son's applications are still in progress.
What is your acknowledgment date?

arc203

Oct 28, 2022
you're well past the grace period. I recall there was info on the CGI webpage or indian governments webpage that says the your citizenship status starts counting down from the day you give your oath and not from the day you receive your passport. Look it up to confirm or somebody else on here might have a different experience.

And yes, its a risk to travel with the Indian passport as it really up to the discretion of the immigration authority whether they pull you aside or let you in. Not worth it if you're past your grace period
I remember looking this up because one FAQ answer mentioned something about the grace period starting from 3 months of the acquisition of the foreign passport and then there was another source that said, its the day the oath is taken and not when you receive the passport. But like I said, confirm it with someone from the office.

hanin142

Jul 30, 2016
Dubai
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01/11/2016
Doc's Request.
01/03/2017 ITA
AOR Received.
14/03/2017
Thanks a lot Man I was able to apply for both OCI and Visa today. Have a great weekend!
hi .. could you let me know how long it took for the visit visas to come? and is there an option to collect it from BLS and will it make it any faster?

sgvlead

Sep 10, 2019
Hi, I went to Toronto BLS to apply for OCI and Surrender my passport at the same day. Waited from 8 AM to 1.30 PM due to long queue, but was not able to make it up. At 1.30 , application accepting process was stopped. Appointment is full till DEC and not able to see any appointment schedule after DEC. Nowadays people come at 4 AM to get a spot in the walk in line. Can anybody suggest when the new appointment schedule ( JAN ) will be available ? I'm not preferring postal submission.

nav85.boparai

Nov 1, 2022
It means that your OCI Card has been delivered from Toronto Consulate General Office to the BLS office. The next step is that in the next 2 to 5 days BLS would send the document through Purolator. I see that your date of travel is Dec 3rd. You have plenty of time and there won't be any problem in receiving your OCI before that.

Thanks a lot big brother

Reactions: T0r0nt022

clickmes

Star Member
Dec 12, 2014
I remember looking this up because one FAQ answer mentioned something about the grace period starting from 3 months of the acquisition of the foreign passport and then there was another source that said, its the day the oath is taken and not when you receive the passport. But like I said, confirm it with someone from the office.

Apply for an Indian Entry Visa + Indian passport Surrender immediately at the same time. You will receive both by Dec 1st week. I applied my Indian Visa by walk-in at Calgary and got it in 2 weeks.

clickmes

Star Member
Dec 12, 2014
Your best bet is to apply for surrender certificate + entry visa at the same time. There is still time for this. Too late for OCI.

I would say dont try to travel into india with indian passport and then try to exit with canadian passport.

Apply for an Indian Entry Visa + Indian passport Surrender immediately at the same time. You will receive both by Dec 1st week. I applied my Indian Visa by walk-in at Calgary and got it in 2 weeks.

clickmes

Star Member
Dec 12, 2014
Hello Everyone,