+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

abracadabra

Jul 13, 2014
I have to apply OCI for my 3 Kids born in Canada --- I became a Canadian Citizen and have applied for and obtained an OCI, only for self. My wife is still a Indian Citizen, Indian Passport holder..., her PR card is expired a few months back, and we starting the process of renewal, but have not applied for Renewal Yet. So dont have the renewal application receipt or whatever proof of already applied. (Someone advised that the if we attach the renewal receipt along with the expired PR card, that will suffice). However, we have to hold off onher applying the PR card renewal for a bit more time due to other obligations.

Question 1 : Can we still apply for OCI with an expired PR card for mother, whereas Father is a Citizen of Canada & OCI holder. Note that, Mother is in proper PR status as per Canadas rules / policies and she has a COPR.

Question 2: For selecting the "root" for the minor children born in canada, which is a good option.. The Father, who was Indian but now has canadian nationality with the Surrender Certificate and OCI --or-- Mother, who is still a Indian Citizen with PR status.

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Thanks for response, will refer that info to update in application. Do you any change know reference of sample unemployment letter, on this OCI thread someone mentioned about reference sample letter but was not able to find (tried with multiple search options)
From what others have said, the occupation letter is basically to find out if you are in some top-level, high security role or military posting, wherein it may conflict with India's interests to give you an OCI. If you are an ordinary salary earner, you could be unemployed and it shouldn't matter.

Don't overthink it. Just write/type it like this:

To whom it may concern,​
<Declare your current unemployment, but also list your previous job and duties in bullet points>​
Yours sincerely,​
<Hand signature using pen>​
<Your name.>​

Reactions: Mum2Can

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
Perfect, got it. Thanks for your response.

From what others have said, the occupation letter is basically to find out if you are in some top-level, high security role or military posting, wherein it may conflict with India's interests to give you an OCI. If you are an ordinary salary earner, you could be unemployed and it shouldn't matter.

Don't overthink it. Just write/type it like this:

To whom it may concern,​
<Declare your current unemployment, but also list your previous job and duties in bullet points>​
Yours sincerely,​
<Hand signature using pen>​
<Your name.>​

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I have to apply OCI for my 3 Kids born in Canada --- I became a Canadian Citizen and have applied for and obtained an OCI, only for self. My wife is still a Indian Citizen, Indian Passport holder..., her PR card is expired a few months back, and we starting the process of renewal, but have not applied for Renewal Yet. So dont have the renewal application receipt or whatever proof of already applied. (Someone advised that the if we attach the renewal receipt along with the expired PR card, that will suffice). However, we have to hold off onher applying the PR card renewal for a bit more time due to other obligations.

Question 1 : Can we still apply for OCI with an expired PR card for mother, whereas Father is a Citizen of Canada & OCI holder. Note that, Mother is in proper PR status as per Canadas rules / policies and she has a COPR.

Question 2: For selecting the "root" for the minor children born in canada, which is a good option.. The Father, who was Indian but now has canadian nationality with the Surrender Certificate and OCI --or-- Mother, who is still a Indian Citizen with PR status.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10819498
Root as Indian: either parent is fine

kiranbrar066

May 6, 2024
Hello,
How long does it take to get OCI in hand after showing this message on application status "passport ready for collection after OCI stamping". BLS office- Vancouver

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello,
How long does it take to get OCI in hand after showing this message on application status "passport ready for collection after OCI stamping". BLS office- Vancouver
Check Purolator website if you have chosen Delivery using your application number if no tracking info is available on BLS site below the ready for collection message.

Avi@1234

May 8, 2024
Hello,
I have applied for OCI on Feb 24st, 2024 and acknowledgement on March 05st, 2024. The mission is Vancouver and it’s almost 9+ weeks and still the application says Under process. Kind of confused on application, is anyone on the same boat.please let me know.