+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI Card Eligibility for Child of Former Indian and Bangladeshi Citizens, Now Canadian

Apr 15, 2024
I am a former Indian citizen, and my wife is a former citizen of Bangladesh; we both have acquired Canadian citizenship. We are exploring the possibility of applying for an OCI card for our child who was born in Canada. I currently hold an OCI card, but my wife does not. Could someone with knowledge on this subject provide a detailed analysis of the eligibility criteria for our child under these specific circumstances?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am a former Indian citizen, and my wife is a former citizen of Bangladesh; we both have acquired Canadian citizenship. We are exploring the possibility of applying for an OCI card for our child who was born in Canada. I currently hold an OCI card, but my wife does not. Could someone with knowledge on this subject provide a detailed analysis of the eligibility criteria for our child under these specific circumstances?
Best is to reach out toCGI (Consulate General) or HCI (High Commission) to consult

Lammergeier16

Oct 15, 2018
https://www.cgisf.gov.in/page/faq-s-on-oci/

Q: I am a person of Indian origin as my parents were born in undivided India before partition. After partition, they briefly held Pakistani citizenship before moving to the United States. Am I eligible for an OCI card?

A:
No. If the applicant, or his/her parents or grand-parents have ever been a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh, he/she will not be eligible for an OCI card.

Lammergeier16

Oct 15, 2018
Pakistan and Bangladesh both of them allow dual citizenship. Even though your child is Canadian, child is Citizen of Bangladesh too. That would be a national security issue for India. But you should confirm.