+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining PR...please help!

Laura78

Apr 7, 2010
Here is my situation:

I have been dating a Canadian citizen for 5 years now. He came to the States to earn his BA. We have been living together for a year now. His working Visa ran out and the US government is being very strict with him...therefore we are relocating to his home city, Toronto. I am a US citizen, I am a teacher with her BA and MA in Education. I have been applying for jobs and am not being considered due to my citizenship. Districts are saying I am over qualified but they cannot consider me over a Canadian even if they have less experience and credentials. I was trying to go the Sponsership route, but as you can tell it's not working...
We recently looked into the Swap program bc I am full time, taking classes to further my MA. The only issue with this is, you cannot work with children in this six month program...so that defeats my purpose and education...
So, we then looked into the common law of living together, we have been living together for a year and all we have is a Lease, is that good enough? And does that grant me working papers and or residency?

This is such a hard subject to decide which route to go...please help!!
Thank you! :D

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Re: Obtaining Citizenship...please help!

Hi

Laura78 said:
Here is my situation:

I have been dating a Canadian citizen for 5 years now. He came to the States to earn his BA. We have been living together for a year now. His working Visa ran out and the US government is being very strict with him...therefore we are relocating to his home city, Toronto. I am a US citizen, I am a teacher with her BA and MA in Education. I have been applying for jobs and am not being considered due to my citizenship. Districts are saying I am over qualified but they cannot consider me over a Canadian even if they have less experience and credentials. I was trying to go the Sponsership route, but as you can tell it's not working...
We recently looked into the Swap program bc I am full time, taking classes to further my MA. The only issue with this is, you cannot work with children in this six month program...so that defeats my purpose and education...
So, we then looked into the common law of living together, we have been living together for a year and all we have is a Lease, is that good enough? And does that grant me working papers and or residency?

This is such a hard subject to decide which route to go...please help!!
Thank you! :D
1. You are confusing Citizenship with Permanent Residence.
2. If you are common/law living together for a year (you will need more that just a lease) your CC spouse can submit a sponsorship application for you. There are 2 choices, and "In-Canada" spousal not recommended for US citizens and "Out of Canada" spousal. You can reside in Canada a visitor during the process, but your application will be processed in Buffalo.
3. Start your reading here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/menu-immigrate.asp
4. You will not be able to work until you receive your PR status, about 56 days processing in Mississauga and then 4-10 months at Buffalo, if you choose the "out of Canada". The In Canada will take a minimum of 6 months at Vegreville for a decision. If you include an application for an Open work Permit with the application, and it receives first level approval at the 6 month mark, a work permit will be issued.
5. It is extremely unlikely that you would receive an LMO (sponsored work permit) as a school teacher. Most new teachers in Canada start as TOC (casual call-ins) before they would be considered for a full time position. There is an excess of teachers in Canada, except for some subjects. Usually math, sciences or french immersion.

Laura78

Apr 7, 2010
Yes, thank you.
This is such a difficult process. I have been told so many things by different people. First I was told, I would be able to obtain a job easily due to obtaining my Master's Degree...guess not. I just do not understand how I am supposed to get sponsership if I will not be considered for a job in the education field until I obtain my working visa/PR.