+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining a Driving License in Canada with DL from India

redhilltree

Jul 14, 2016
Could someone outline the process of obtaining Canadian driving license if I have DL from India and share your experience of going through this process please? Thanks.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
redhilltree said:
Could someone outline the process of obtaining Canadian driving license if I have DL from India and share your experience of going through this process please? Thanks.
which province as some have different rules for exchange.

manchandapulkit

Star Member
Jun 27, 2015
You have to give G1 (written test and eye test) followed by G2 and 1 year later G ( both drive tests for ity and highway respectively). i will advice to get letter from RTO stating aiuthentication of your driving license then you will be eligible to go for G test straight away(dont have to wait for one year for G). This is the personal experience I have landed and not able to arrange the letter now.( P.S your license should be 2+ years old to be eligible for G directly)
thnx
pulkit

ektaahm

Jul 8, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03rd Nov 15
Nomination.....
03rd Dec 15
AOR Received.
21st Jan 16
IELTS Request
Submitted with file
Med's Request
Submitted with file
Med's Done....
23rd Jan 16
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
20th July 16
VISA ISSUED...
02nd Aug 16
LANDED..........
End of September
manchandapulkit said:
You have to give G1 (written test and eye test) followed by G2 and 1 year later G ( both drive tests for ity and highway respectively). i will advice to get letter from RTO stating aiuthentication of your driving license then you will be eligible to go for G test straight away(dont have to wait for one year for G). This is the personal experience I have landed and not able to arrange the letter now.( P.S your license should be 2+ years old to be eligible for G directly)
thnx
pulkit
Hi manchandapulkit,
What should be the exact text of the letter which we bring from RTO?
I m moving to Sasketchwan. And have 2+ years of experience.
Thanks.

manchandapulkit

Star Member
Jun 27, 2015
A letter with DTO/RTO letterhead bearing your name, father's name, address, D/L no. date of issue,place saying that license is genuine. and stamped by DTO/RTO .
This is for Ontario, i have no knowledge of Sasketchwan's licensing process.
thnx

ektaahm

Jul 8, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03rd Nov 15
Nomination.....
03rd Dec 15
AOR Received.
21st Jan 16
IELTS Request
Submitted with file
Med's Request
Submitted with file
Med's Done....
23rd Jan 16
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
20th July 16
VISA ISSUED...
02nd Aug 16
LANDED..........
End of September
manchandapulkit said:
A letter with DTO/RTO letterhead bearing your name, father's name, address, D/L no. date of issue,place saying that license is genuine. and stamped by DTO/RTO .
This is for Ontario, i have no knowledge of Sasketchwan's licensing process.
thnx
Thanks.

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
ektaahm said:
Hi manchandapulkit,
What should be the exact text of the letter which we bring from RTO?
I m moving to Sasketchwan. And have 2+ years of experience.
Thanks.
Saskatchewan is much easier than Ontario. With a foreign DL more than 2 yrs old you can give the written test and then do the road test immediately.

If you pass you get the license, if you fail, depending on how many points you get you can either wait 2 weeks to take the test or they refer you to GDL.

Probably better you get a personal instructor to take you on 1-2 road lessons so that you know all the tricks.

ektaahm

Jul 8, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03rd Nov 15
Nomination.....
03rd Dec 15
AOR Received.
21st Jan 16
IELTS Request
Submitted with file
Med's Request
Submitted with file
Med's Done....
23rd Jan 16
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
20th July 16
VISA ISSUED...
02nd Aug 16
LANDED..........
End of September
One_Topsy said:
Saskatchewan is much easier than Ontario. With a foreign DL more than 2 yrs old you can give the written test and then do the road test immediately.

If you pass you get the license, if you fail, depending on how many points you get you can either wait 2 weeks to take the test or they refer you to GDL.

Probably better you get a personal instructor to take you on 1-2 road lessons so that you know all the tricks.
Thanks One_Topsy..