+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining a criminal record check from New Zealand

zissou

Jul 1, 2009
Hello

My common-law partner and I are currently filling out forms for an outland family class sponsorship via London. A few years ago I spent one year living in New Zealand. As a result I have to file for a criminal record check. When I do this through the Canadian immigration website it eventually leads me to this form: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/australia-australie/assets/pdfs/instructions_police_NZ-en.pdf

Firstly it all seems to be done through Sydney, Australia, which is a little weird but nothing really surprises me with this whole process anymore. The only thing that concerns me is that it asks for a file reference number. I presume this is the file reference number for my entire sponsorship package? This I don't have yet because we haven't sent anything off. That or it is perhaps my Canadian immigration client ID number, which I do have.

Does anyone have any experience with this form, or have an idea if its something I should be concerned about? I just don't want this thing to get lost somewhere in the London office slowing everything down.

Thanks for your help.

JLT

Aug 25, 2010
Hi,

Yes I have just had to have New Zealand Police reports done too as we have been living in NZ for 6 months now. Following the link you already have and complete the forms for both yourself and your partner, the file number will be the one supplied to you from the CIC Bxxxxxxxx. Put this on so they know who the report belongs to as Sydney Australia send on to where your application is being processed. Give it a few weeks 3 tops and then email Sydney to make sure they have received the Police check and that they have emailed to your local Visa Office. I had to do this as the first email was not received by my Visa office the first time round and was holding up our appliaction.

Obtaining the NZ police checks has been the easiest thing to do throughout the whole process and best of all it doesn't cost anything!

Hope this helps good luck

JLT

Phe

May 11, 2010
Hi there...

Im also in the process of applying for the OUTLAND sponsorship process and waiting on a police report. The issue for me is that we need the report asap because we have paid the fees for the process, im getting my medical exam done tomorrow and we're good to go (apart from the police report).

My husband who is a Canadian citizen is the sponsor and im the applicant. He starts work in Toronto Nov 1, and his employer has already organised a TRV for me to go with him. Does anyone know if we can submit what we already have and then submit the police record once it comes through?

We dont have time to wait around as i assume we need to submit the forms while we're still in NZ in order for it to count as an outland process?

Any advise/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks