+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtain a study permit by an open work permit holder.

nimzyy

Aug 4, 2021
Hi,
My husband and I currently live in Canada. I have a study permit and my husband has a open work permit. Our permits expire within a month from now. Since I continue to study, we have to extend my study permit and my husband's open work permit. However, my husband has a offer letter from a Canadian collage (September intake 2022). So he has to apply for a study permit as well.

1. In our case, I am not sure if he has to apply extension for the open work permit and the study permit at once.
2. Since his visa expires within a month from now, can he still continues to work if he apply for a study permit (without extending his open work permit)?
3. Should he leave the country after his work permit expires and return back once he got the student visa?

Any ideas on this would be appreciated because I could not find anything related from the internet. Thanks!

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi,
My husband and I currently live in Canada. I have a study permit and my husband has a open work permit. Our permits expire within a month from now. Since I continue to study, we have to extend my study permit and my husband's open work permit. However, my husband has a offer letter from a Canadian collage (September intake 2022). So he has to apply for a study permit as well.

1. In our case, I am not sure if he has to apply extension for the open work permit and the study permit at once.
2. Since his visa expires within a month from now, can he still continues to work if he apply for a study permit (without extending his open work permit)?
3. Should he leave the country after his work permit expires and return back once he got the student visa?

Any ideas on this would be appreciated because I could not find anything related from the internet. Thanks!
For both questions, he can apply to extend work permit and make another application for the Study Permit. Once SP is issue, WP Counterfoil will be invalidated. With current processing time, he may not meet deadline if he choses not to extend work permit and apply SP. Please note, there is no maintained STATUS if he let his WP permit expires and launch new application for the SP, he needs to have status if he wish to remain in Canada

• Love
Reactions: nimzyy

nimzyy

Aug 4, 2021
For both questions, he can apply to extend work permit and make another application for the Study Permit. Once SP is issue, WP Counterfoil will be invalidated. With current processing time, he may not meet deadline if he choses not to extend work permit and apply SP. Please note, there is no maintained STATUS if he let his WP permit expires and launch new application for the SP, he needs to have status if he wish to remain in Canada
Thank you so much! I think now I have an idea what to do.

-Nimzy