+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

oath scheduled while on (pre-notifed) vacation

somsom1

Jul 16, 2010
Apparently my oath ceremony is scheduled in a couple of weeks, when I am still on vacation. I had notified the call center and the St. Clair office (via fax) of my unavailable dates before I left, but turns out they did not take those into account ... Does anyone know what happens if I miss my ceremony? Would I have to then see a judge? and what is the time line for that? I can't even call the call center to ask them these questions as the call center number is only accessible to those in Canada, and I am away right now. Please help!

maxvol

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
There are couple of things you can do depending on your circumstances:
1) Come back for the oath ceremony
2) Complete your vacation, at that point they are going to send you a notice about appearing in front of a judge. The date could be anywhere from 4 to 6 months. You'll have to explain to the judge why you missed the oath and it has to be a very good reason, disability, family problems, etc

Egyman

Star Member
Feb 7, 2007
In my opinion, come to the oath and get your citizenship certficate...it is the thing that we keep chasing for years.....you don't know what will happen if you miss it.
Could you please share your timeline and which city you applied from.
Good luck

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had a similar thing going on when I was waiting for my oath, that is I was planning a 2 month trip. I talked to the call centre and they told me that immigration will not schedule these things at your convenience. You will be called for exam/oath whenever it suits them. If you can not make it, you need to contact them and convince them that you had a good reason for not being there. They will schedule you again at their convenience. From what I've heard from other people, that could easily be a year later.

You have 2 options; 1) Come back and do your oath or 2) convince the judge that you had a good reason and ask to be re-scheduled.

Jun 24, 2015
try to make it in for your Oath date whatever it takes you. my cousin has been waiting for an appointment with the immigration judge for over year and half and still haven't heard anything.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
scarFACEborough said:
try to make it in for your Oath date whatever it takes you. my cousin has been waiting for an appointment with the immigration judge for over year and half and still haven't heard anything.
This thread is from 5 years ago.