+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

oath of citizenship coming - what's my best option?

frankie20

Aug 7, 2011
I received a letter notifying me that my oath of citizenship is on Wednesday August 17. Before I know this date, I have scheduled a business trip with my company VP to the United states on Monday August 22.

If I understand correctly, I am supposed to use a Canadian passport once I become a citizen and I will be handing back my PR card at the oath of citizenship event. That's leave me in an embrassing situation for the trip which is just 2 busniess days after the oath. I have no time to get a Canadian passport.... What is my best option?

1. Cancel the trip? - this makes me look bad in front of a senior manager, especially the whole trip - airplane, hotel and presentation etc have been booked and prepared.

2. Cancel and reschedule an oath date? It can take months and the worst could be I need re-apply citizenship

3. Use in-person passport express service - assuming I can get all document nice and tight, I should be getting a passport within 24 hr after submit the request

To me, every option is a bit risky, although option 3 looks most favourable at this point, what if the passport office fail to process one in time - then I have to explain to my manager at the airport about the whole thing, that's worse off to choose option 1 at the first time.

your input is much appreciated!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Definitely go with option 3 and worst case scenario if your passport does not arrive in time, go with your other citizenship passport but take along your citizenship card and old PR landing documents (they will stamp on it that you are no longer PR). Then enter Canada with those and tell the truth, applied for passport and didn't get it in time. They might not like that but I am sure they will let you enter.

dnschan

Aug 13, 2011
Aug 17 is an important date to you, you will give away your permanent resident card but receive the Citizenship card.

Then you can come back to Canada with your citizenship card with your home country passport. The Canadian custom will let you come back with your citizenship card even you don't have Canadian passport. However, if you come back by flight, the airlines company may not let you get on the flight. If you travel by car, it's absolutely no problem to come back.