26/08/2016
IELTS Request
Sent with application - 7.5
Med's Done....
08/09/2016
Passport Req..
13/09/2016
Hello All,

I have a query regarding ID to be used for Oath ceremony (not yet invited)

I have a PR card which is expired a couple months back which I feel will be fine for ID purposes but my second ID is an Ontario Health Card expired last month, I visited Service Ontario and they have told me that the health card is already extended till September 2022 and does not have to be renewed until then, my question is that since the Oath requires 2 ID (one of which is my PR card) can the second ID (my health card) be expired ?

Does anyone have any recommendations on this ? Or has anyone from Ontario tried to use their expired health card ?

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Hello All,

I have a query regarding ID to be used for Oath ceremony (not yet invited)

I have a PR card which is expired a couple months back which I feel will be fine for ID purposes but my second ID is an Ontario Health Card expired last month, I visited Service Ontario and they have told me that the health card is already extended till September 2022 and does not have to be renewed until then, my question is that since the Oath requires 2 ID (one of which is my PR card) can the second ID (my health card) be expired ?

Does anyone have any recommendations on this ? Or has anyone from Ontario tried to use their expired health card ?
They'll be fine with both

Reactions: tbear

tbear

Aug 12, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Category........
Visa Office......
London (BWJ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2014
Doc's Request.
26/08/2016
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
08/09/2016
Passport Req..
13/09/2016

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
So expired second ID is fine too right ?
Ontario oath:
My wife presented the expired license and the officer asked to show the card again. We were worried that officer will not accept but didnt say anything after that. Completed oath.
If ontario has the extension then you can very well tell them on it. I dont see an issue.

Try renewing your photo ID or driver license as a backup plan.

AB oath:
When i was taking oath(my processing office was based on AB), officer asked me about second ID. She was insisting only local ID. Same like in Ontario - dont know why they are not following the checklist which has passport as secondary id. So i had to show ontario health card(since my driver license was expired 3 months before oath). Officer was specifically asking if the health card was still valid.

So no idea how officers verify and deal with this id verification during oath.

Reactions: iceman55 and tbear

tbear

Aug 12, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Category........
Visa Office......
London (BWJ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2014
Doc's Request.
26/08/2016
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
08/09/2016
Passport Req..
13/09/2016
Ontario oath:
My wife presented the expired license and the officer asked to show the card again. We were worried that officer will not accept but didnt say anything after that. Completed oath.
If ontario has the extension then you can very well tell them on it. I dont see an issue.

Try renewing your photo ID or driver license as a backup plan.

AB oath:
When i was taking oath(my processing office was based on AB), officer asked me about second ID. She was insisting only local ID. Same like in Ontario - dont know why they are not following the checklist which has passport as secondary id. So i had to show ontario health card(since my driver license was expired 3 months before oath). Officer was specifically asking if the health card was still valid.

So no idea how officers verify and deal with this id verification during oath.
Thanks I guess there is nothing much I can do except show my expired health card, the extension information is even listed on its website so if anything I will send them the same link.

Reactions: harirajmohan

itspossible9

Feb 17, 2021
@harirajmohan I recently got the virtual oath invite from Alberta. I am living in Ontario and my address on file was Ontario address. My file was processed by the Scarborough office.

My question is about ID verification during oath ceremony. I am planning to show them the Ontario health card. Did they insist on driving license? Did they say no to Ontario health card at first and then accepted it? I am just very worried that they might not accept it.

The reason why I don't want to show my driving license is because I have old address on my driving license.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
@harirajmohan I recently got the virtual oath invite from Alberta. I am living in Ontario and my address on file was Ontario address. My file was processed by the Scarborough office.

My question is about ID verification during oath ceremony. I am planning to show them the Ontario health card. Did they insist on driving license? Did they say no to Ontario health card at first and then accepted it? I am just very worried that they might not accept it.

The reason why I don't want to show my driving license is because I have old address on my driving license.
2 pieces of personal identification (ID):
  • one must have your photograph and signature on it, e.g. driver’s license, health card
  • one of them can be your Permanent resident card, if your second piece of identification is Canadian federal, provincial or territorial issued ID
  • foreign ID documents must be government-issued, Canadian ones don’t need to be government-issued
  • if they’re not in English or French, you must provide a translation with an affidavit from the translator
  • minors are not required to show identification with a signature;
  • Examples of pieces of identification can be found here
Also refer this
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/identity/acceptable-documents-show-identity-applications.html

Reactions: itspossible9

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

They are not worried about current address on driver license. they are asking for your address to very and for sending citizenship certificate. Just show both IDs if they ask for secondary ID. No issues. They just want to verify local identity as they are used to do for years - nothing more.
You do not need to bring up address difference and even if they ask just tell that you are yet to change but tell that your address on file is correct(if its correct). if your address on file is not correct then please give correct address. We do even give a new address which is the current address to send certificate hence your address on DL is different and its the last thing they worry about.

I suggest you to update the address on file today as some of us, including my wife, didnt receive the certificate on new address we gave during oath session - my wife's DL was having old address of course. So its better to have current address updated asap without worrying about whether its updated on your DL.

Even though they were supposed to follow the ID requirements of cic but still they were insisting for me and my wife to show the second local ID even though we showed the passport. So do not try to avoid keeping your both IDs with your during the oath session. Some will keep asking for second ID.

Reactions: itspossible9

itspossible9

Feb 17, 2021
They are not worried about current address on driver license. they are asking for your address to very and for sending citizenship certificate. Just show both IDs if they ask for secondary ID. No issues. They just want to verify local identity as they are used to do for years - nothing more.
You do not need to bring up address difference and even if they ask just tell that you are yet to change but tell that your address on file is correct(if its correct). if your address on file is not correct then please give correct address. We do even give a new address which is the current address to send certificate hence your address on DL is different and its the last thing they worry about.

I suggest you to update the address on file today as some of us, including my wife, didnt receive the certificate on new address we gave during oath session - my wife's DL was having old address of course. So its better to have current address updated asap without worrying about whether its updated on your DL.

Even though they were supposed to follow the ID requirements of cic but still they were insisting for me and my wife to show the second local ID even though we showed the passport. So do not try to avoid keeping your both IDs with your during the oath session. Some will keep asking for second ID.
Let's hope that they accept my Ontario health card. I am worried because they don't have photo health card in Alberta. If not then they at least accept my Ontario driving licence with my previous address. I am very worried and constantly worrying about this.

itspossible9

Feb 17, 2021
I have my oath scheduled for Thursday. I am very worried because I have my driver's license with old address and it's not matching with my address on file. The problem with health card is my middle name's first initial is only there where as standard health card in Ontario has full middle name.

Do you think that my driver's licence with old address and PR card will be accepted?

Note: I used my health card while submitting my citizenship application. I am just worried about oath now. These 2 days will be like 20 years.