+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

oath ceremony tomorrow

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013
Hi, I received the invitation to attend my oath ceremony and emailed immigration asking if I can attend the online ceremony from abroad.
They sent me an email after 5 days saying:

Thank you for your email. Please read the below information. It will take up to six month for your request to be approved or declined.
Thank you for your enquiry about taking the oath of citizenship by video oath ceremony from outside of Canada.
These requests are being considered as exceptional cases, and in the event that your request is approved, it is important for you to know that:
o You will be asked to destroy your Permanent Resident Card during the ceremony.
o It may take up to 6 months for you to receive your certificate after the ceremony as your certificate will be sent to the Canadian Mission closest to you. (excludes clients in the USA)
o Before applying for your Canadian passport, you will need to wait to receive your citizenship certificate.
o For Canadian citizens, including dual Canadian citizens, you must present an acceptable travel document that shows that you are a Canadian to enter Canada. This means you need a valid Canadian passport (or a Canadian travel document issued in urgent situations) to allow airline check-in staff and border officials to confirm that you are Canadian.
o Depending on the laws and regulations of your current country of citizenship or the country where you are presently living, there may be some complexities should you become a dual national abroad (i.e. access to Canadian consular services, travel requirements, etc.). Note that you may not have proof of Canadian citizenship for 6 months. Recommend that you confirm whether any complexities exist before considering to take the oath outside of Canada.
Should you still wish to pursue this request, please provide, in writing to the e-mail address from where the notice to appear was sent, your present circumstances and reasons for your request to take the oath from outside of Canada for consideration by the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship. When possible, do not hesitate to provide supporting documentation, if you wish.

I replied right away, asking to attend the ceremony from abroad and sent all the documentation required. It's been ten days and I haven't heard back from them and my file still shows the invitation to attend the oath ceremony on October 11th, which is tomorrow!!
My question is: shall I attend the ceremony from abroad? Or shall I miss it and wait for immigration to get back to me?
Thank you kindly for any help you may be able to give me.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi, I received the invitation to attend my oath ceremony and emailed immigration asking if I can attend the online ceremony from abroad.

Thank you for your email. Please read the below information. It will take up to six month for your request to be approved or declined.
Thank you for your enquiry about taking the oath of citizenship by video oath ceremony from outside of Canada.
These requests are being considered as exceptional cases, and in the event that your request is approved, it is important for you to know that:
o You will be asked to destroy your Permanent Resident Card during the ceremony.
o It may take up to 6 months for you to receive your certificate after the ceremony as your certificate will be sent to the Canadian Mission closest to you. (excludes clients in the USA)
o Before applying for your Canadian passport, you will need to wait to receive your citizenship certificate.
o For Canadian citizens, including dual Canadian citizens, you must present an acceptable travel document that shows that you are a Canadian to enter Canada. This means you need a valid Canadian passport (or a Canadian travel document issued in urgent situations) to allow airline check-in staff and border officials to confirm that you are Canadian.
o Depending on the laws and regulations of your current country of citizenship or the country where you are presently living, there may be some complexities should you become a dual national abroad (i.e. access to Canadian consular services, travel requirements, etc.). Note that you may not have proof of Canadian citizenship for 6 months. Recommend that you confirm whether any complexities exist before considering to take the oath outside of Canada.
Should you still wish to pursue this request, please provide, in writing to the e-mail address from where the notice to appear was sent, your present circumstances and reasons for your request to take the oath from outside of Canada for consideration by the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship. When possible, do not hesitate to provide supporting documentation, if you wish.

I replied right away, asking to attend the ceremony from abroad and sent all the documentation required. It's been ten days and I haven't heard back from them and my file still shows the invitation to attend the oath ceremony on October 11th, which is tomorrow!!
My question is: shall I attend the ceremony from abroad? Or shall I miss it and wait for immigration to get back to me?
Join the ceremony from abroad, or if you can take a flight to Canada, land on Canadian soil, give the zoom interview and go back. Get it done and over with.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016

Already answered below by two of the fellow contributors but yes join, explain what you've done so far and see what they have to say....

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013
Thank you everyone for your wise advice. I will join the ceremony from abroad.
I can't land on canadian soil and then leave because I will be asked to cut my PR card during the ceremony so I would have to stay at least 3 or 4 months before getting my canadian passport or I will not be able to enter Canada once I leave.
Thanks so much everyone.

Ese2014

Mar 11, 2018
Calgary
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
20-07-2018
IELTS Request
24-03-2018
Med's Done....
13-07-2018
I can't land on canadian soil and then leave because I will be asked to cut my PR card during the ceremony so I would have to stay at least 3 or 4 months before getting my canadian passport or I will not be able to enter Canada once I leave.
Thanks so much everyone.
It is the same. You are better off landing and joining in Canada. Assuming they let you proceed with the oath, you still have to destroy your PR card I which case you can't enter Canada.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
I agree that you'd be better off coming to Canada and getting it over with. You won't have to stay 3-4 months. Normally the certificate takes 1-2 weeks to receive for the faster offices, 1-2 months for the slowest, and then with proof of travel, you can go to Passport Canada and get an urgent passport as early as the next day. You can also ask for an urgent certificate, which would further reduce these waiting times. Some people in this forum were even able to get their passports within a couple days of their oaths.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Please let everyone know about the outcome once the ceremony is over and / or the result of your request for oath from abroad.

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
If possible, attend the Zoom interview from Canada, have a return ticket available, apply for urgent processing, get the certificate, and apply for passport, within 1-2 days...A lot of work and pain is involved, but not impossible, depends on how desperate you are.

AdamFromNB

Jan 24, 2020
This is the easiest, most critical and final step of a very long and hard process all immigrants have to go through to become proud citizens of this country. Yet, some just want to create hurdles for themselves. It would’ve been easier to just come back to Canada, take the oath, wait for maybe a month max to get your passport then you’re literally free.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Thanks so much everyone.
Can you detail here what happened in your zoom ceremony? It will benefit future posters.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks so much everyone.
You will need to cut your PR card and even if you try to hide it, you are NO longer a PR once you become a citizen. So you cannot travel without a Canadian passport.

You could defer your oath ceremony until you are back in Canada. Then you can still travel with your PR card.

jammv

Star Member
Aug 20, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2014
AOR Received.
29-07-2014 (SA received)
File Transfer...
29-07-2014
Med's Done....
18-04-2014
Passport Req..
19-01-2015 (DM:20-01-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Received - Feb 11th
You will need to cut your PR card and even if you try to hide it, you are NO longer a PR once you become a citizen. So you cannot travel without a Canadian passport.

You could defer your oath ceremony until you are back in Canada. Then you can still travel with your PR card.
For how long we can defer the oath ceremony? Can we defer for few months? When we tell IRCC that we can’t attend the oath and request a later date, will they provide a next date or can we request them a particular month/year

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
For how long we can defer the oath ceremony? Can we defer for few months? When we tell IRCC that we can’t attend the oath and request a later date, will they provide a next date or can we request them a particular month/year
Not sure how long you are defer it. But if you are not available on the scheduled oath ceremony, you need to let them know.

Check other posts in the forum to see what have others done.

SAKARUN

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
I am just wondering if anyone faced the situation of being away from the country during the Oath ceremony scheduled data and how did you handled the situation? Any information/link/forum discussion would be helpful.
Thanks