+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS: THERE IS A STRIKE FOR VISA APPLICATIONS

potential_resident

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
So i logged onto the website today as I normally do and i was utterly disappointed to find the notice under temporary residence visa's being delayed due to a strike.

What does this mean for the countless immigrants who have not only spent time but also hard earned money, not to mention anxiety with regards to their applications?

When I email, I dont get a reply back. When I call, the call center is always too busy AND !!! I cant even check the status of my visitor visa status online!

I AM NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!

"Alert – Strike Action

The Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers (PAFSO) union is currently taking strike action. PAFSO union members responsible for processing visa applications have been walking out of offices in Canada and overseas.

Posted processing times for both temporary and permanent resident visa applications do not take into account work stoppages.

Anyone applying for a visa should anticipate delays and submit their application as far in advance as possible.

Contingency plans are already in place to ensure all offices remain open and are providing at least a minimum level of service. Priority will be placed on urgent humanitarian applications.

CIC continues to closely monitor the situation."

calmblue

Jun 30, 2012
Potential_resident, when did you apply for tourist visa and was it online?

I'm in similar boat. I applied for multiple entry tourist visa online on June 1st, 2013 and was expecting it is going to take minimum one month. Now due to the strike alert I"m expecting it to be even more delay :(

I want to travel to India in mid August so want to get approved and my passport back by then.

I"m also a Quebec Skilled worker applicant and submitted by Federal application on May 29th after my CSQ in April, 2013. What are your timelines?

potential_resident

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
Hi there,

On the website for each and every visa category, I noticed they have extended the processing times online on 5th of June. In my case, I have applied for visitor visa on May 18th. I expected it to be processed within 47days due to my application being online and inside of Canada before the strike took place.

Now the # of days has increased to 51, however, on the visitor visa application page it states all applicants should expect a processing time of little more than two months now.

So for me, it looks like I will get my visa approved by August.

To complicate things, I am on the International Experience Program and my work permit expires on 8th of July. In my case, I cannot renew, re-apply or extend my work permit due to the agreement between my home country (New Zealand) and Canada. What I am wondering is if I can stay here on implied status until a decision has been made. And even this simple question, has gone unanswered by CIC. DISAPPOINTED to say the least!

Dubrider

Star Member
Jan 13, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1-09-2012
Doc's Request.
09-01-2013
Nomination.....
30-3-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
2-11-2012
Med's Request
04-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-04-2013
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
potential_resident said:
Hi there,

On the website for each and every visa category, I noticed they have extended the processing times online on 5th of June. In my case, I have applied for visitor visa on May 18th. I expected it to be processed within 47days due to my application being online and inside of Canada before the strike took place.

Now the # of days has increased to 51, however, on the visitor visa application page it states all applicants should expect a processing time of little more than two months now.

So for me, it looks like I will get my visa approved by August.

To complicate things, I am on the International Experience Program and my work permit expires on 8th of July. In my case, I cannot renew, re-apply or extend my work permit due to the agreement between my home country (New Zealand) and Canada. What I am wondering is if I can stay here on implied status until a decision has been made. And even this simple question, has gone unanswered by CIC. DISAPPOINTED to say the least!
I was in a similar position on the IEC program. Where are you located in Canada? It may be worthwhile you heading to one of the border consulates to get your travel visa. I wouldn't recommend staying on implied status, as far as I'm aware the implied status is for individuals who have an application with the Federal government for PR. And not for those applying for a visitor visa. Though I could be wrong.

My advice, don't risk being present in Canada without the valid permissions. Try explaining to a border agent why you were in canada waiting for your visitor visa after your IEC visa ended, and proving you didn't work. If you can, head to the border and you can get a visa there

potential_resident

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
I am located in Vancouver, Canada. I could easily go to the states and then re-apply or wait for a decision to be made. However, my situation is more tricky than this: I entered a common law relationship in February this year. Once I leave the country, will this mean that my sponsorship will begin from day 1 when i re-enter Canada? That is the complication here.

Dubrider

Star Member
Jan 13, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1-09-2012
Doc's Request.
09-01-2013
Nomination.....
30-3-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
2-11-2012
Med's Request
04-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-04-2013
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
potential_resident said:
I am located in Vancouver, Canada. I could easily go to the states and then re-apply or wait for a decision to be made. However, my situation is more tricky than this: I entered a common law relationship in February this year. Once I leave the country, will this mean that my sponsorship will begin from day 1 when i re-enter Canada? That is the complication here.
By Canadian law, a Common-law relationship is between two people who have been co-habiting for 1 year. But if you're only leaving to activate your visitor visa that shouldn't bear any weight. Only if you left for an extended period

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Dubrider said:
By Canadian law, a Common-law relationship is between two people who have been co-habiting for 1 year. But if you're only leaving to activate your visitor visa that shouldn't bear any weight. Only if you left for an extended period
Actually a Common/Law relationship in Canada is defined by Provincial Law and ranges from 1 year to 3 years of cohabitation to be considered Common/law. CIC and CRA accept 1 year as C/Law.