+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not Including Child in Application

kingcobra123

Nov 9, 2014
Hi,

I plan to apply for citizenship soon. I am NOT including our child in the application (Even though Child has NOT met 1095 days in Canada, I believe he/she can be included in the application with the parent). My spouse is NOT eligible Now and may apply at some later date and our child will also complete the 1095 days with my spouse. I do NOT want to wait for my spouse as there is lot of time left to complete 1095 days.

1. Not including our child along with me in application could cause any problem (like CIC raising a question why you are not including child in the application OR CIC getting suspicious)?

2.Could this cause delay in the application.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kingcobra123 said:
Hi,

I plan to apply for citizenship soon. I am NOT including our child in the application (Even though Child has NOT met 1095 days in Canada, I believe he/she can be included in the application with the parent). My spouse is NOT eligible Now and may apply at some later date and our child will also complete the 1095 days with my spouse. I do NOT want to wait for my spouse as there is lot of time left to complete 1095 days.

1. Not including our child along with me in application could cause any problem (like CIC raising a question why you are not including child in the application OR CIC getting suspicious)?

2.Could this cause delay in the application.
It would raise the question of course but it means nothing. You can apply without your child. Your child can then become a citizen since you are a citizen.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
It might lead to a RQ based on B2 RQ triage criteria.

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kids do not have to meet the 1095 days prior to applying for citizenship. You may include your child with your application, no issues.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Kingcobra,
I'm curious why you don't want to include your child on your application?

kingcobra123

Nov 9, 2014
eileenf said:
Hi Kingcobra,
I'm curious why you don't want to include your child on your application?
As I told earlier, my spouse has NOT met 1095 days YET. My spouse is the PRIMARY CAREGIVER of our child and we plan to include child in application when my spouse is eligible and decide to apply for citizenship. Does that make sense?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
kingcobra123 said:
As I told earlier, my spouse has NOT met 1095 days YET. My spouse is the PRIMARY CAREGIVER of our child and we plan to include child in application when my spouse is eligible and decide to apply for citizenship. Does that make sense?
It doesn't matter who the primary caretaker in the household. The child can be added to the one parent applying for citizenship doesn't matter who.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kingcobra123 said:
As Screech said, from the CIC point of view you're fine either way. It doesn't matter who the caregiver is and if the child is under 14, they don't even have to go to the Oath or sign the application (nor, like all minor applicants, do they have to take the test or go to the interview.)

While I obviously defer to your knowledge of your case and your family, from an outside perspective there is no downside to you or the child by including the child on your application. It will not raise your risk of RQ. It will not delay your application. But there is a benefit of giving your child the protections of Canadian citizenship sooner rather than later. Delaying application for your child without a really great reason offers no benefit while presenting some risk. Things change, people move, get job offers, family members (God forbid) get ill, PR status lapses. If some emergency or convenience necessitates your wife and/or child to leave Canada and let their PR lapse, they would not be eligible for citizenship.

It just seems like avoiding a benefit and risking a problem for no compelling reason. I highly recommend not putting off your child's citizenship.

Either way, I wish you and all your family luck.