+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not Fullfilling Residency Obligation For PR Renewal

Helu

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks,

But I am staying in Calgary,Alberta. Can I get it from "Registry"(Place for Driving Licence).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Helu said:
Thanks,

But I am staying in Calgary,Alberta. Can I get it from "Registry"(Place for Driving Licence).
Yes, you can get an Alberta ID card at the registry.

Helu

Apr 5, 2012
It is not possible to apply for an alternate ID Card If you a driving Licence. I got this info from Registry.

riyarose

Star Member
Oct 24, 2010
Leon said:
This is total and utter BS. This so called consultant has no idea what they are doing or worse, they know but are trying to mess up your case so you will have to hire them for the next year while you fight to keep your PR because you have applied too early. There is NOTHING in the immigration rules that states you must have a valid PR card to live in Canada. I dare you to find it anywhere on the CIC page. There are PR's who live in Canada who never had a PR card. They did not start using them until 2002 and you only need one to travel. You can even call the CIC call centre. Do not give them your name, just ask the general question of what happens if I did not notice that my PR card expired and I did not renew it. You know what they will tell you. Nothing happens.

There are loads of people who do not apply for their PR card as soon as they expire. They may not even know that it is expired as they haven't noticed. Nothing happens to them. You should never talk to this consultant again and do not discuss your case with your friend again. They are not being helpful to you at all. If you want to hire a real lawyer, talk to the ones that run this forum for example.

Read OP 10, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/index.asp especially this part on page 7:

Even if a person had resided away from Canada for many years, but returned to Canada and
resided there for a minimum of 730 days during the last five years, that person would comply with
the residency obligation and remain a permanent resident.
An officer is not permitted to consider
just any five-year period in the applicant's past, but must always assess the most recent five-year
period preceding the receipt of the application

Also read ENF 27, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/index.asp page 12:

While the PR card is not a mandatory document within Canada, it is necessary should a
permanent resident travel outside Canada using a commercial transportation company.

Hi Leon,

I keep reading all your replies which help me to decide a solution for my issues.
I have one question please if you can answer,
What happens if my PR card expires and I am out of country and have not completed residency obligation (of 730 days) (But just completed Landing formalities), will they still allow me to come back if i decide to come?
I will appreciate your reply.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
riyarose said:
Hi Leon,

I keep reading all your replies which help me to decide a solution for my issues.
I have one question please if you can answer,
What happens if my PR card expires and I am out of country and have not completed residency obligation (of 730 days) (But just completed Landing formalities), will they still allow me to come back if i decide to come?
I will appreciate your reply.
Hi,

there are several possible scenarios in that case.

1) You are visa exempt to Canada.. you book a flight, fly with your passport and at the airport as you land, you: 1a.) show your expired PR card and say that you are a PR or 1b.) don't show your PR card and see if they let you in as a visitor.

2) You are not visa exempt to Canada but you have a visa to the US.. you go to the US, rent a car, drive across the land border and show your expired PR card when you enter.

3) You are not visa exempt to Canada and you can't get a visa to the US.. you will be forced to apply for a PR travel document at a Canadian embassy in order to ask permission to return.

The possible consequences: 1) and 2), if they realize that you are a PR who doesn't meet the residency requirements and although they must allow you to enter Canada, they can report you. This is up to the immigration officer. If they report you, you would lose your PR unless you appeal for it. Winning or losing the appeal depends on why you were unable to meet the RO and if you could sufficiently prove these reasons. For example, if you were taking care of your dying relative and therefore could not return and you can prove this with medical reports, doctors letters etc., you would have a good chance at winning an appeal. If you however stayed outside Canada for studies or a job, you have a slim chance. During the appeal processing, you may stay in Canada as a PR and you may even renew your PR card for a year at a time. The processing can take 1-2 years from what I've heard but this time will not count towards your RO if you lose the appeal.

In the case that you don't get reported, you would simply have to lay low for 2 years, not leave or apply for anything from immigration and you would automatically bring your PR status back into good standing once you have your 2 years. However, living in Canada without a valid PR card for 2 years can also cause problems. Many authorities see a PR card as your proof of valid PR status and so you could face problems getting a drivers license, getting a health card, enrolling in college and some employers may even ask for it before they will give you a job.

In the case of 3) it will already be decided before you even get to enter Canada if your reasons for not meeting the RO were good enough that they will allow you to keep your PR. If they refuse the travel document, you can appeal but if you lose the appeal, you lose your PR. If your travel document is granted, you can return to Canada and apply for a PR card renewal based on having been granted that travel document.

Having lost your PR, you can of course apply again if you qualify.

If you want to keep your PR, I would first of all recommend that you try to meet the RO.

If you are already unable to meet the RO, I would not recommend staying outside Canada until your PR card expires. With a valid PR card, it is possible that you can sail through immigration without them suspecting that you don't meet the RO but if you enter with an expired card, even if you are visa exempt, they will take a closer look. And of course as in 3) if you are not visa exempt, can not get a US visa and your PR card is already expired, you don't even get the chance to try entering, the embassy will already decide for you based on your application. Trying to enter rather than applying for a TD is always better because there is the chance that the immigration officer decides not to report you in which case you can stay your 2 years and put your PR status back in good standing.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
Hi,

there are several possible scenarios in that case.

1) You are visa exempt to Canada.. you book a flight, fly with your passport and at the airport as you land, you: 1a.) show your expired PR card and say that you are a PR or 1b.) don't show your PR card and see if they let you in as a visitor.

2) You are not visa exempt to Canada but you have a visa to the US.. you go to the US, rent a car, drive across the land border and show your expired PR card when you enter.

3) You are not visa exempt to Canada and you can't get a visa to the US.. you will be forced to apply for a PR travel document at a Canadian embassy in order to ask permission to return.

The possible consequences: 1) and 2), if they realize that you are a PR who doesn't meet the residency requirements and although they must allow you to enter Canada, they can report you. This is up to the immigration officer. If they report you, you would lose your PR unless you appeal for it. Winning or losing the appeal depends on why you were unable to meet the RO and if you could sufficiently prove these reasons. For example, if you were taking care of your dying relative and therefore could not return and you can prove this with medical reports, doctors letters etc., you would have a good chance at winning an appeal. If you however stayed outside Canada for studies or a job, you have a slim chance. During the appeal processing, you may stay in Canada as a PR and you may even renew your PR card for a year at a time. The processing can take 1-2 years from what I've heard but this time will not count towards your RO if you lose the appeal.

In the case that you don't get reported, you would simply have to lay low for 2 years, not leave or apply for anything from immigration and you would automatically bring your PR status back into good standing once you have your 2 years. However, living in Canada without a valid PR card for 2 years can also cause problems. Many authorities see a PR card as your proof of valid PR status and so you could face problems getting a drivers license, getting a health card, enrolling in college and some employers may even ask for it before they will give you a job.

In the case of 3) it will already be decided before you even get to enter Canada if your reasons for not meeting the RO were good enough that they will allow you to keep your PR. If they refuse the travel document, you can appeal but if you lose the appeal, you lose your PR. If your travel document is granted, you can return to Canada and apply for a PR card renewal based on having been granted that travel document.

Having lost your PR, you can of course apply again if you qualify.

If you want to keep your PR, I would first of all recommend that you try to meet the RO.

If you are already unable to meet the RO, I would not recommend staying outside Canada until your PR card expires. With a valid PR card, it is possible that you can sail through immigration without them suspecting that you don't meet the RO but if you enter with an expired card, even if you are visa exempt, they will take a closer look. And of course as in 3) if you are not visa exempt, can not get a US visa and your PR card is already expired, you don't even get the chance to try entering, the embassy will already decide for you based on your application. Trying to enter rather than applying for a TD is always better because there is the chance that the immigration officer decides not to report you in which case you can stay your 2 years and put your PR status back in good standing.
1. You can probably add one more scenario if the OP is visitor visa exempt is when the ETA comes into effect for visitors. If a PR who hasn't met their PR obligations decides to fly to Canada as visitor, it most likely that when they apply for an ETA that it pops up that they have/had PR status. I would think at that point the ETA would be refused boarding and they would then be forced to apply for a TD.

riyarose

Star Member
Oct 24, 2010
Leon said:
Thankyou Leon so very much for so nice explanation with detailed examples.

You are absolutely right. If I try coming back I should come at-list before my PR expired.
I landed in Canada in Feb 2015 through US border in Calgary as I am on H1b. I have completed my landing formalities, Health card, SIN Number, Bank account and everything. I came with the dream of settling here and I thought that I will be able to settle here and will be able to get the job sooner or at list some pipeline. I have tried maximum places in Alberta and Toronto. As I am not from Toronto now, vendors and recruiters and not selecting me for an interview as am not local. Everyday I am getting depressed and frustrated as I am using my savings from 3 months. Finally I thought of going back and, thought God forbid if I need to comeback then atlist I should know the option. As I am Indian born, USA immigration is very slow for Green Card. Therefore took this step. And, might if I search more I could get it, but now am loosing my hope as I am alone I am getting more lonely.

Thanks once again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
riyarose said:
Thankyou Leon so very much for so nice explanation with detailed examples.

You are absolutely right. If I try coming back I should come at-list before my PR expired.
I landed in Canada in Feb 2015 through US border in Calgary as I am on H1b. I have completed my landing formalities, Health card, SIN Number, Bank account and everything. I came with the dream of settling here and I thought that I will be able to settle here and will be able to get the job sooner or at list some pipeline. I have tried maximum places in Alberta and Toronto. As I am not from Toronto now, vendors and recruiters and not selecting me for an interview as am not local. Everyday I am getting depressed and frustrated as I am using my savings from 3 months. Finally I thought of going back and, thought God forbid if I need to comeback then atlist I should know the option. As I am Indian born, USA immigration is very slow for Green Card. Therefore took this step. And, might if I search more I could get it, but now am loosing my hope as I am alone I am getting more lonely.

Thanks once again.
In that case, you have nothing to worry about as you can be outside Canada for up to 3 years without losing your PR.

As for the loophole of keeping your PR even if you were outside longer if you manage to enter without being reported, it is there right now but you can not count on it being like that forever. They may decide to close it at some point and in that case, if you had purposely stayed outside more than 3 years, you would lose your PR.

riyarose

Star Member
Oct 24, 2010
Leon said:
In that case, you have nothing to worry about as you can be outside Canada for up to 3 years without losing your PR.

As for the loophole of keeping your PR even if you were outside longer if you manage to enter without being reported, it is there right now but you can not count on it being like that forever. They may decide to close it at some point and in that case, if you had purposely stayed outside more than 3 years, you would lose your PR.
Thank you SOOOOO much Leon, you are one the best person in this forum who solve everyone's issues. Thanks a lot. God bless you a lot.

almjp

May 9, 2015
Helu said:
I landed in Canada in May,2007 and returned back to my country within a month. I returned back to Canada in Nov.,2011 which means I don't fullfill the residency obligation for the PR Card Renewal.
1. Shall I apply for the PR Card renewal without fullfilling the residency obligation.
2. Is it legal to stay with the expired PR till I complete the residency obligation and then apply for the PR Renewal.

What can be the possible consequences in both the case.

Please help.....
Did you face any obstacles when you entered by immigration officer?
Could you please share your experience when you returned after more than 3 yrs?
What did they ask you about the long stay outside Canada?
Thanks Helu!