+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-resident status at CRA and PR Card renewal

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Dear all
Last July I have completed my 730 days since I crossed the US border to be back on RO compliance. While reading the PR card renewal application I have noticed that IRRC will check with CRA for my residency status. At the same time I have discovered that my status at CRA is still non-resident and I have talked to my accountant to resubmit my last two years of tax filing to correct the situation.
My question is: do I need to wait until the issue is resolved with CRA and my status is corrected to be resident before I apply for my PR card renewal? Or it has nothing to do with the residency obligation?

many thanks
Hady

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
If the CRA has you listed as a non-resident that can trigger some additional scrutiny to ensure you did in fact meet your RO, but if you indeed have at least 730 days in the past five years and can prove it, it's not an issue.

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Thank you Primaprime for your reply.
So far I have 815 days in the last 5 years. I have been working since then which can be used as a proof in addition to other stuff (DL renewal, car lease, driving ticket, T4, Lease, etc). The only issue is that my passport was not stamped by CBSA when crossed the US border, but I assume the CBSA have the record.
I am just confused if I wait until my status is “resident” at CRA which might take 6 months to get it resolved, or do I go ahead and submit the PR Card renewal application?

thanks
Again

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you Primaprime for your reply.
So far I have 815 days in the last 5 years. I have been working since then which can be used as a proof in addition to other stuff (DL renewal, car lease, driving ticket, T4, Lease, etc). The only issue is that my passport was not stamped by CBSA when crossed the US border, but I assume the CBSA have the record.
I am just confused if I wait until my status is “resident” at CRA which might take 6 months to get it resolved, or do I go ahead and submit the PR Card renewal application?

thanks
Again
Did you file your taxes as a non-resident as well?

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
I filed as resident since I came back 2 years ago. But I should have mentioned on the first page the date of return which I did not, and despite the fact that I filed as resident, my status stayed as non-resident at the CRA

THANKS
Hady

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
hello again
I am looking forward to hearing from the experts here in this forum about my case. Your valuable opinions are extremely appreciated.
Many thanks
Hady