+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-accompanying family members declaration

Nov 1, 2011
Hello, I am asked, as part of my immigration application, to submit a "notarized statutory declaration" that states my intention to proceed to Canada without my dependent children and for them to retain eligibility to be sponsored by me in the future. I was wondering if I am expected to draft my own declaration or is there a standard form that I should use. I don't seem to be able to see one on the official site of Canadian Immigration. Any ideas?

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
cutejoexiaoyang said:
Hello, I am asked, as part of my immigration application, to submit a "notarized statutory declaration" that states my intention to proceed to Canada without my dependent children and for them to retain eligibility to be sponsored by me in the future. I was wondering if I am expected to draft my own declaration or is there a standard form that I should use. I don't seem to be able to see one on the official site of Canadian Immigration. Any ideas?
First off, a statutory declaration in Canada is equivalent to a statement given under oath in court. Meaning it is a written statement that you swear is true, with the threat of penalty under the law for any perjury (i.e. lying).

What country are you located in? In the U.S. a notary public will not write the document for you, but simply witness your signature on it and, after verifying your ID, put their official seal and signature as well. In that case you would write the document yourself, or have an attorney draft it for you. A notary public is not necessarily a lawyer and vice versa.

If you're already located in Canada then you could still either draft it yourself or go straight to a local attorney, as most attorneys in Canada are also considered notary publics (with the exception of Quebec, where a "notaire" and an "avocat" are both lawyers, but only the "notaire" affixes a seal to attest to the validity of a document). Obviously call and verify with the lawyer first that he or she can notarize documents for you, before incurring any consultation fees.

If you're in another country, then you will have to consult with your local government to determine who is authorized there to notarize a document.

As for what to write in the letter itself and/or the form I can't give you any advice, since I have no experience with it. Sorry.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OP is from China. Here's a link where to find notary public offices across China:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/finding-notary-public-and-translation-in-china-t85111.0.html

Harju

Star Member
Apr 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/09/2010
AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011
Are you proceeding to Canada without having medicals for your dependent children? Your post says "for them to retain eligibility to be sponsored by me in the future". Generally the opposite it true; if they are not examined you cannot sponsor them in the future and they request a declaration.

You should do everything possible to have your children examined.

You can look in the Eastern Europe Country Specific guide to find a declaration like this. It is referred to as a Separation Statement. By signing this you are acknowledging that you cannot sponsor them in the future. I'm not clear that this is what you want?

Can4Vincy

Star Member
Feb 13, 2011
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2010
Doc's Request.
05-05-2011
AOR Received.
28-12-2010
File Transfer...
01-11-2010
Med's Request
05-05-2011, 15-11-11, (kids)29-05-12
Interview........
23-03-2011
Passport Req..
No need to submit PP.
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2012
LANDED..........
09-08-2012
My husband and I got the same form regarding his children...it is an actual form sent to you from the VO, which requires it to be signed by you, your spouse and yes to be notorized and returned.

Harju

Star Member
Apr 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/09/2010
AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011
Can4Vincy, So you did get an actual form sent to you. We just got a brief letter that said provide a Separation Statement. We had no clue what that meant but just ending up googling the term until we eventually found out what it was.