+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-accompanying dependent (non custody)

kksb

Dec 5, 2023
Category........
FAM
I am sponsoring my PA with a non-accompanying dependent. However the mother (custody) is refusing to have the child submit a medical exam. What will happen moving forward once I inform the VO?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am sponsoring my PA with a non-accompanying dependent. However the mother (custody) is refusing to have the child submit a medical exam. What will happen moving forward once I inform the VO?
IRCC does not like when children are not included on applications because many then try to secure status in Canada later on. Expect that you will need to provide a lot of evidence that you have tried everything possible to have the child do the medical and be included in the PR application. There is the option of being non-accompanying so have you proposed that option. Have you appealed to the mother that this would open up options for the child as an adult. By refusing to allow her child to be included this could limit options for the child’s future. Being listed as non-accompanying would still require sponsorship, which may be reassuring if the mother has concerns that you may want to bring the child to Canada, but as an adult the child could have the ability potentially study in Canada, work in Canada, etc. and the child may be very upset if they discover if they don’t have the option when they are older.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If you remove the child by providing info to IRCC that the mother absolutely refuses, etc., the child can NEVER be sponsored in future. (IRCC will push you to document this as much as possible, likely including a form or oath that you recognize the child can't be sponsored in future).

Appeal to the mother - as noted in other post - that this would allow the child (for example) to study in Canada after getting to 18 years of age (as a PR, and hence at domestic / not international tuition and entrance terms, not subject to international student quotas, etc).

Note that a minor can't be sponsored without the custodial parent's agreement so it's not a trick. "Unaccompanied" means the child is being examined but NOT being sponsored at present, just that can be sponsored in future - there is a permission form that would be required for that which she is not being asked to sign.

I'm perhaps not phrasing this well: my point is communicate as clearly as possible that the medical examination and other steps at this point do NOT constitute permission for the child to immigrate to Canada.

Reactions: T&T2024

ahmedraza01

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am sponsoring my wife from pakistan, and she has three dependents, under the age of 12,11 and 8.
please guide if we need to provide the police certificate for minors as well,
Can we make the police certificate for minors in Pakistan ??
Please guide if anyone has any idea.

kksb

Dec 5, 2023
Category........
FAM
IRCC does not like when children are not included on applications because many then try to secure status in Canada later on. Expect that you will need to provide a lot of evidence that you have tried everything possible to have the child do the medical and be included in the PR application. There is the option of being non-accompanying so have you proposed that option. Have you appealed to the mother that this would open up options for the child as an adult. By refusing to allow her child to be included this could limit options for the child’s future. Being listed as non-accompanying would still require sponsorship, which may be reassuring if the mother has concerns that you may want to bring the child to Canada, but as an adult the child could have the ability potentially study in Canada, work in Canada, etc. and the child may be very upset if they discover if they don’t have the option when they are older.
The child is already listened as non-accompanying because she did not provide her consent. IRCC still requires a medical examination to be done despite this. The PA has no physical contact with the child. We have outline these implications in terms of future sponsorship and she is still refusing to have it done. Has anyone went through something similar and if so what was the outcome?

kksb

Dec 5, 2023
Category........
FAM
If you remove the child by providing info to IRCC that the mother absolutely refuses, etc., the child can NEVER be sponsored in future. (IRCC will push you to document this as much as possible, likely including a form or oath that you recognize the child can't be sponsored in future).

Appeal to the mother - as noted in other post - that this would allow the child (for example) to study in Canada after getting to 18 years of age (as a PR, and hence at domestic / not international tuition and entrance terms, not subject to international student quotas, etc).

Note that a minor can't be sponsored without the custodial parent's agreement so it's not a trick. "Unaccompanied" means the child is being examined but NOT being sponsored at present, just that can be sponsored in future - there is a permission form that would be required for that which she is not being asked to sign.

I'm perhaps not phrasing this well: my point is communicate as clearly as possible that the medical examination and other steps at this point do NOT constitute permission for the child to immigrate to Canada.
Please see my reply below, and provide further insight. TIA

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Please see my reply below, and provide further insight. TIA
IRCC will push to demonstrate/document that the other parent is refusing, and you to confirm also understanding that child can never be sponsored.

If you are in touch with the mother, a letter/statement from her that she refuses and recognizes this would be a start, for example. Others may provide other suggestions.

kksb

Dec 5, 2023
Category........
FAM
IRCC will push to demonstrate/document that the other parent is refusing, and you to confirm also understanding that child can never be sponsored.

If you are in touch with the mother, a letter/statement from her that she refuses and recognizes this would be a start, for example. Others may provide other suggestions.
I will try to get a written and signed statement from her. Even that seems impossible bc she is refusing to do anything. Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I will try to get a written and signed statement from her. Even that seems impossible bc she is refusing to do anything. Thank you
I don't know how you're communicating with her but if by eg email or other written, that information might be something you can show IRCC (even if it's a response saying 'no' she won't sign anythign at all and doesn't give permission). But her direct statement would be better.

AmalJ

Dec 8, 2023
We applied in december and we are having this issue, she is NOT willing to get their medicals

kksb

Dec 5, 2023
Category........
FAM
We applied in december and we are having this issue, she is NOT willing to get their medicals
Hi,
Sorry to hear that. I have informed the VO via webform with the relevant proofs. I did so one week before the 30 day mark and they acknowledged the webform. They have not responded yet and we are approaching a month since sending it off.
I would advise you do the same, just so they see you’ve tried before the medical expiry date.

AmalJ

Dec 8, 2023
What exactly did you upload? Thanks so much!

AmalJ

Dec 8, 2023
A letter of explanation with all the dates we tried to have the medical done and whatsapp chat screenshots
Awesome! We’re gonna do the same. When did you apply? I really hope it doesn’t cause a massive delay for you.