+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC/Job description as an Engineer

davidbaek90

Star Member
Feb 26, 2015
Hi to all,

Important question regarding NOC and Job description.

I am an Engineering graduate (2014) from Ontario and do not have P.ENG nor EIT yet. (EIT is still not a license to practice to practise, but merely a subscription for updates as P.ENG)

I was recently nominated for OINP as Industrial/Manufacturing Engineer 2141 (1 year experience).

It came to a light that after few searches in the forum, some people got their apps rejected because of licensing issue for engineering (is that true?)

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=2141
Employment requirements

A bachelor's degree in industrial engineering or in a related engineering discipline is required.
A master's degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline may be required.
Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/cec/work.asp
The “Employment Requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description are not applicable.

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/working/OI_HOW_WORK_ENGINEER.html
Not all engineering graduates in Ontario are professional engineers. A professional engineer must satisfy the requirements set by PEO to earn a licence. However, you can work in engineering without a licence, if a professional engineer supervises and takes responsibility for your work.

This confuses me. NOC 2141 best describes my job description rather than NOC 2233 Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and technicians

Called CIC just now the operator told me to look at the website. I guess it would be fair to say because on NOC and Ontario Immigration.

Has anyone went through the same experience applying for CEC after ITA or even OINP?

Please give feedbacks for any regulated occupation issues with NOC

Thanks in advance.

mco246

Jan 20, 2015
Under NOC 2141 it reads:

"Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.)."

I guess you can argue that if you find a job where you dont need to publish or approve engineering drawings and reports,
and you are not required to practie as a (P. Eng), then you should be fine. I hope...

Shobhit Abrol

Jan 2, 2020
I have a similar concern. I am a process engineer with similar experience but my application just got rejected saying that the officer was not satisfied with NOC and my job letter. is it possible that PENG is the reason why it happened?