+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC code selection between 2173 and 2133

dpbi8891

May 26, 2017
Hi Seniors

I have a question. I'm indian and I've done my Bachelor of Technology in Electronics and Communication Engineering. However, I'm working as a software engineer and my job responsibilities only include the duties mentioned for NOC code 2173. But the employment requirements for the NOC-2173 stated on the link (http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/QuickSearch.aspx?val=2&val1=2133&ver=11&_ga=2.258079619.807000297.1498316207-571638409.1497032332&val65=2173) are as follows:

Employment requirements
  • A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics
    or
    Completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
  • A master's or doctoral degree in a related discipline may be required.
  • Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
  • Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering, and passing a professional practice examination.
  • Experience as a computer programmer is usually required.
So this confuses me to select my NOC code between 2173 (Software engineers and designers) and 2133 (Electrical and electronics engineers), as my job responsibilities don't meet the duties specified for NOC-2133.
What should be the ideal NOC code for me?

Thanks and Regards
Dilpreet

gm2611

Aug 26, 2018
Hi, Same question here. My duties align with 2173/2174 but i have B.Tech in Electronics and Communication Engineering. Did you put 2173 here and it worked? Thanks

Takentaken421

Aug 30, 2018
When deciding NOC, your educational degree doesn't matter. You must choose NOC based on your work experience and for which you should be able to submit employment reference letter indicating relevant job duties.

Reactions: Fabby12

gm2611

Aug 26, 2018
When deciding NOC, your educational degree doesn't matter. You must choose NOC based on your work experience and for which you should be able to submit employment reference letter indicating relevant job duties.
Thanks for your reply. So, if I am able to furnish the relevant experience letter from this job, it should be fine? Also, in future, if I would like to work as Database analyst (2172) instead of 2173/2174, is it better to fill 2172 instead?

Thanks

Fabby12

Sep 21, 2016
Hi, I have been caught up in similar situation. I hope there is no change of scenario since 2018.However i can see one thing in clarity ..Exclusions.
Can i consider my self for 2173 as my all duties are related to software while my degree is Electrical Engineering.

2173 – Software engineers and designers
Employment requirements
  • A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics or completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
  • A master's or doctoral degree in a related discipline may be required.
  • Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
  • Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering, and passing a professional practice examination.
  • Experience as a computer programmer is usually required.
Exclusions
  • Computer and information systems managers (0213)
  • Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers) (2147)
  • Computer programmers and interactive media developers (2174)
  • Database analysts and data administrators (2172)
  • Electrical and electronics engineers (2133)
  • Information systems analysts and consultants (2171)
  • Information systems testing technicians (2283)
  • Web designers and developers (2175)