+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC code for software testers

sherry99

Nov 21, 2019
I am a software tester with experience in both manual and automation testing. What is the right NOC code for me.. 2173 or 2283??
NOC Code 2173 is the closest as I researched I came by this definition.
"NOC 2011 - 2173 - Software engineers and designers - Unit group. National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011 - Software engineers and designers research, design, evaluate, integrate and maintain software applications, technical environments, operating systems, embedded software, information warehouses and telecommunications software. "
And when I dug down further I realized all these below mentioned categories become under NOC Code 2173.
  • application architect
  • computer software engineer
  • embedded software engineer
  • software architect
  • software design engineer
  • software design verification engineer
  • software designer
  • software testing engineer
  • systems integration engineer - software
  • technical architect - software
  • telecommunications software engineer
NOC CODE 2283 changes your skill type from A to B so if you are a Test Engineer I recommend you to give NOC CODE 2173.
Profound Regards,
Sheraz Latif

Palakhh

Oct 5, 2020
Hello ,

I am a software test analyst with 2 years of manual and automation testing experience.

Which NOC Code should i use? 2173 or 2283?
Has anyone used 2173 and successfully immigrated?

Thanks,
Palak

parvin2019

Mar 5, 2019
Hello ,

I am a software test analyst with 2 years of manual and automation testing experience.

Which NOC Code should i use? 2173 or 2283?
Has anyone used 2173 and successfully immigrated?

Thanks,
Palak
Hi Palak,

You can use NOC code 2173. I have used the same NOC code and immigrated to Canada.

Palakhh

Oct 5, 2020
Hi Palak,

You can use NOC code 2173. I have used the same NOC code and immigrated to Canada.
Hello Parvin,
Thank you so much for your response. I am trying for Ontario PNP so NOC Code selection is very important for me. The following are my job responsibilities. Can you have a look and tell me that still 2173 is appropriate for me or not?

• Manage the testing tasks of a small team of testers, across some or all of the testing lifecycle whilst providing direction, leadership and guidance
  • Manage the production, quality and accuracy of all relevant test artefacts and ensure that these adhere to the Test Policy
  • Provide Validation and verification of test inputs, functional specifications, requirements etc. for testability, ambiguity and completeness
  • Produce test artefacts, Test Cases, Expected Results, Actual Results, Defects, Data, Defect Re-tests and Test Outcome Reports
  • Manage the quality aspects of testing work and provide peer review of the testing artefacts produced by others in the testing team
  • Provide accurate and concise process updates
  • Assess and document any risks or issues that threaten the achievement of the testing deliverables
  • Actively seek process improvements and efficiencies
  • Act as a role model, mentor and coach to the Testers and Junior Testers
  • Provide input to the Test Planning and Estimating test phases
  • Deputies for Test Manager

dkurugod

Apr 6, 2021
Hi all,

My designation with my previous employer was Software Engineer and software tester role & responsibilities. Please review my role & responsibilities below. Also, the NOC code has to be mentioned in the letter?

Roles & Responsibilities -

• Developing software testing plans.
  • Analysis of software requirements/user stories and development of test scenarios.
  • Setting up a test environment to perform the testing both on web applications and API interface.
  • Development & maintenance of automated test scripts.
  • Execute, analyze and document results of testing.
  • Reporting and tracking defects using the appropriate management tool.
  • Preparing test summary report and sharing test deliverables (i.e., test plans, test scripts, test results etc.) with the project team.
  • Collaborating with fellow team members (Testers, Developers, and Product Managers) to deliver on shared responsibility for quality.

Reactions: Miracle2018

pkjsarin

Sep 4, 2020
Hello Parvin,
Thank you so much for your response. I am trying for Ontario PNP so NOC Code selection is very important for me. The following are my job responsibilities. Can you have a look and tell me that still 2173 is appropriate for me or not?

• Manage the testing tasks of a small team of testers, across some or all of the testing lifecycle whilst providing direction, leadership and guidance
  • Manage the production, quality and accuracy of all relevant test artefacts and ensure that these adhere to the Test Policy
  • Provide Validation and verification of test inputs, functional specifications, requirements etc. for testability, ambiguity and completeness
  • Produce test artefacts, Test Cases, Expected Results, Actual Results, Defects, Data, Defect Re-tests and Test Outcome Reports
  • Manage the quality aspects of testing work and provide peer review of the testing artefacts produced by others in the testing team
  • Provide accurate and concise process updates
  • Assess and document any risks or issues that threaten the achievement of the testing deliverables
  • Actively seek process improvements and efficiencies
  • Act as a role model, mentor and coach to the Testers and Junior Testers
  • Provide input to the Test Planning and Estimating test phases
  • Deputies for Test Manager
@Palakhh Did 2173 work for you with the above job responsibilities?

pkjsarin

Sep 4, 2020
Hi all,

My designation with my previous employer was Software Engineer and software tester role & responsibilities. Please review my role & responsibilities below. Also, the NOC code has to be mentioned in the letter?

Roles & Responsibilities -

• Developing software testing plans.
  • Analysis of software requirements/user stories and development of test scenarios.
  • Setting up a test environment to perform the testing both on web applications and API interface.
  • Development & maintenance of automated test scripts.
  • Execute, analyze and document results of testing.
  • Reporting and tracking defects using the appropriate management tool.
  • Preparing test summary report and sharing test deliverables (i.e., test plans, test scripts, test results etc.) with the project team.
  • Collaborating with fellow team members (Testers, Developers, and Product Managers) to deliver on shared responsibility for quality.
Hey @dkurugod did you use 2173 for the above roles and responsibilities?

jillpatel

Aug 22, 2016
Hello everyone,

I worked as a manual tester for about 2.5 years and my role was "Test Engineering Analyst". Below are the job duties in my letter which code should I use Noc-2172 or noc-2283. I have done bachelor's in computer engineering.

Roles and responsibilities:
  • Analyze, evaluate, and document system program requirements to create design documents such as test scenarios, test plans, test cases, and knowledge base.
  • Identify and modify deficiencies in existing systems and associated processes.
  • Test, debug, diagnose, and correct errors and faults in an applications programming language within established testing protocols, guidelines, and quality standards to ensure programs and applications perform to specification.
  • Client interaction to understand the application process, user requirements, and resolve any queries or blockages in the execution process.
  • Prepare reports on all aspects related to the software testing carried out and report to the design team.
  • Participate in design reviews and provide input on requirements, product design, and potential problems.
  • Lead and coordinate with the team of professionals to ensure smooth delivery of the application.
  • Work with cross-functional teams to ensure quality throughout the software development lifecycle.
  • Design, Develop and implement programs that conduct automated tests on the software.
  • Mentor new team members in understanding the software testing procedure, tools used and
    domain-specific knowledge.

delarosakris

Jan 30, 2022
Hi, I am a programmer analyst by title in my past 10 yrs experience outside Canada. I enter Canada 2 months ago (Oct 2021) and got a job as QA tester. Is there an NOC code that covers both? Thank you :) What can you advise for PR pathway.

everyjuan

Dec 18, 2019
Hi Everyone! I am Test Engineer in Canada that requires the skills of 2281 and my previous noc code for 15yrs was Noc 2281. Can anyone help me to choose between 2281 and 2283?

vp2727

Oct 1, 2022
Hello everyone, my original position is QA automation developer but on my request my employer mentioned the job title as "QA automation developer (Software testing engineer)" in employment letter. I was wondering if I should go ahead with 2173 since "Software testing engineer" is one of the example title.

FrankieOdling

Mar 2, 2023
As a fellow software tester, I can definitely relate to your question. Regarding NOC codes, it really depends on the specific job duties and responsibilities you have as a software tester. However, if you have experience in both manual and automation testing, you might want to check out the NOC code 2283 for software testing and quality assurance analysts. And if you're looking for a free API testing automation tool, you should check out the Free API Testing Suite available online. It's always great to have more tools in your toolkit. Good luck with your job search and career!

Last edited:

satwika0319

Mar 9, 2024
Hello everyone, I am a software tester with an experience of 6+ years and 21231 – Software engineers and designers is the code iam planning to go for? Will this be okay for me, since- 22222 Information systems testing technicians, doesn't seem like its a Teer 1 category and mostly it does feel its a technician job.
I know its super long the forum is not active but i hope one of you see this question. Please confirm and thankyou!