+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC Code decision

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
Hi All,

I am a bit confused on what NOC code i should decide as primary NOC code.
Following is my work profile -
a) 2 years of work experience with Adobe as software engineer in India (2011-13)
b) 3+ years of work experience with Amazon as financial analyst (2015 - 2018)

My ECA shows canadian equivalency as "Bachelor's degree (four years) and postgraduate diploma (one year)" . So my MBA is not considered as a Masters degree here.

Now, as a no brainer I was planning to go ahead with NOC code 1112 - But then i read the educational requirements for that stating a Masters Degree in Finance or MBA which unfortunately my ECA report doesnt show. So, does this mean I cannot show 1112 as my NOC? I read that education doesnt necesarily has to meet the requirements in NOC except for regulated jobs. Is 1112 a regulated job?

So now i am confused whether to go ahead with 1112 or 2173 (software engineer) as the primary NOC code?

Secondly, what is the concept of secondary NOC? I dont see any option for secondary NOC while creating EE profile. This means, if there is only primary NOC i cannot claim points for 3 years work ex from software engineer?

Nishika22

Feb 23, 2018
Mauritius
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
24-06-2018
Hi All,

I am a bit confused on what NOC code i should decide as primary NOC code.
Following is my work profile -
a) 2 years of work experience with Adobe as software engineer in India (2011-13)
b) 3+ years of work experience with Amazon as financial analyst (2015 - 2018)

My ECA shows canadian equivalency as "Bachelor's degree (four years) and postgraduate diploma (one year)" . So my MBA is not considered as a Masters degree here.

Now, as a no brainer I was planning to go ahead with NOC code 1112 - But then i read the educational requirements for that stating a Masters Degree in Finance or MBA which unfortunately my ECA report doesnt show. So, does this mean I cannot show 1112 as my NOC? I read that education doesnt necesarily has to meet the requirements in NOC except for regulated jobs. Is 1112 a regulated job?

So now i am confused whether to go ahead with 1112 or 2173 (software engineer) as the primary NOC code?

Secondly, what is the concept of secondary NOC? I dont see any option for secondary NOC while creating EE profile. This means, if there is only primary NOC i cannot claim points for 3 years work ex from software engineer?
Hi @NiSn,

Here's my 2 cents:

1. Go ahead with NOC code 1112 for financial service practitioners as your primary NOC. Your Indian Masters degree is sufficient to qualify you for this code. WES assessment of a post graduate diploma does not take away your right to choose this NOC code that aligns perfectly with your job duties. Of course, your work reference letter should expressly state your job duties and make it clear that these are qualifying you for the chosen NOC code.

2. When you create different employment sections under your EE profile, each employment section calls for an NOC code. However, you need to indicate which is the primary NOC - and that is the ONLY one you are entitled to claim points for. I have experience under two fields as do you. One is financial services, which I have classified as primary NOC and claimed points under as my longer work experience falls under it; another is Marketing & Communications, which I have categorised under a different NOC and been unable to claim points for as there appears to be no concept of a secondary NOC and claiming points thereunder. Bear in mind that you have 3+ years of work experience with Amazon as financial analyst so you maximise your points for employment with this selection in any case. Even if there exists a mechanism to select a secondary NOC, I doubt it will add any value to your CRS score or onward for securing an ITA and applying for PR.

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
Hey Nishika

Since you also had Financial Services NOC - is it possible for you to share content of letter you got from your organisation?
I have declared only one NOC - Amazon and will be showing my older work experiences only as part of personal history.

Reactions: Nishika22

Arsalanullah1122

Star Member
Jul 17, 2018
Islamabad, Pakistan
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-11-2018

Nishika22

Feb 23, 2018
Mauritius
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
24-06-2018
Hey Nishika

Since you also had Financial Services NOC - is it possible for you to share content of letter you got from your organisation?
I have declared only one NOC - Amazon and will be showing my older work experiences only as part of personal history.
I’ll send you the edited PDF with my details censored out if you don’t mind :) Working on removing personal details from it as we speak...Check your private conversation later today and it will be posted as an image thread there...Cheers!

catalyst441

Sep 5, 2018
@Nishika22

Although I got it confirmed by a couple of people regarding the NOC Code for the below two job responsibilities (Investment Analyst 1112). I would really be thankful if you could also confirm the same:

Job 1 Responsibilities:

• Involved in forecasting the prices of commodities, involving an‘Inflation Forecasting Models for a Fortune 500 client
  • Worked on the periodical budget process to ensure minimum divergence of the forecasts from the actual figures
  • Identified and extracted macroeconomic and commodity specific quantitative data from various databases and publicly available sources
  • Related market information, economic data and macroeconomic changes to the prices of specific commodities
  • Responsible for conducting macroeconomic analysis using variables such as Manufacturing PMI, Housing starts, Current account deficit, yield curve analysis and CPI among others
  • Built statistical models using quantitative techniques like regression analysis, time series analysis, ARIMA, VAR, seasonality, etc.
  • Interpreted qualitative and quantitative information from news and market reports and link it to the price variations
Job 2 Responsibilities:
  • Employing a range of self-prepared predictive models and frameworks to comprehensively analyze macroeconomic/geopolitical trends and developments, and find trading opportunities
  • Conducting Macro-economic, political and Geo-political research and analysis of G-7 countries on a daily basis and giving Buy/Sell recommendations for FX currency pairs
  • Leading research projects, to develop and enhance systematic investment strategies across a range of asset classes, especially currency and fixed income instruments
  • Building necessary toolkit to generate, enhance and evaluate systematic investment strategies; while understanding the connections between statistical significance and robustness of underlying economic fundamentals
  • Writing Predictive daily and week ahead reports on Currency pairs highlighting key economic, political and Geo-political drivers
  • Identifying, creating and maintaining econometric models and macro indicators used to forecast macroeconomic trends, interest rates and currencies
The stat Canada lists the following as the duties of the NOC code I selected

Investment analysts perform some or all of the following duties:
  • Collect financial and investment information about companies, stocks, bonds and other investments using daily stock and bond reports, economic forecasts, trading volumes, financial periodicals, securities manuals, company financial statements and other financial reports and publications
  • Examine and analyze financial and investment information collected, including profiles of companies, stock and bond prices, yields and future trends and other investment information
  • Provide investment advice and recommendations to clients, senior company officials, pension fund managers, securities agents and associates
  • Prepare company, industry and economic outlooks, analytical reports, briefing notes and correspondence.
http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=1112&CST=01012011&CLV=4&MLV=4

Nishika22

Feb 23, 2018
Mauritius
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
24-06-2018
@Nishika22

Although I got it confirmed by a couple of people regarding the NOC Code for the below two job responsibilities (Investment Analyst 1112). I would really be thankful if you could also confirm the same:

Job 1 Responsibilities:

• Involved in forecasting the prices of commodities, involving an‘Inflation Forecasting Models for a Fortune 500 client
  • Worked on the periodical budget process to ensure minimum divergence of the forecasts from the actual figures
  • Identified and extracted macroeconomic and commodity specific quantitative data from various databases and publicly available sources
  • Related market information, economic data and macroeconomic changes to the prices of specific commodities
  • Responsible for conducting macroeconomic analysis using variables such as Manufacturing PMI, Housing starts, Current account deficit, yield curve analysis and CPI among others
  • Built statistical models using quantitative techniques like regression analysis, time series analysis, ARIMA, VAR, seasonality, etc.
  • Interpreted qualitative and quantitative information from news and market reports and link it to the price variations
Job 2 Responsibilities:
  • Employing a range of self-prepared predictive models and frameworks to comprehensively analyze macroeconomic/geopolitical trends and developments, and find trading opportunities
  • Conducting Macro-economic, political and Geo-political research and analysis of G-7 countries on a daily basis and giving Buy/Sell recommendations for FX currency pairs
  • Leading research projects, to develop and enhance systematic investment strategies across a range of asset classes, especially currency and fixed income instruments
  • Building necessary toolkit to generate, enhance and evaluate systematic investment strategies; while understanding the connections between statistical significance and robustness of underlying economic fundamentals
  • Writing Predictive daily and week ahead reports on Currency pairs highlighting key economic, political and Geo-political drivers
  • Identifying, creating and maintaining econometric models and macro indicators used to forecast macroeconomic trends, interest rates and currencies
The stat Canada lists the following as the duties of the NOC code I selected

Investment analysts perform some or all of the following duties:
  • Collect financial and investment information about companies, stocks, bonds and other investments using daily stock and bond reports, economic forecasts, trading volumes, financial periodicals, securities manuals, company financial statements and other financial reports and publications
  • Examine and analyze financial and investment information collected, including profiles of companies, stock and bond prices, yields and future trends and other investment information
  • Provide investment advice and recommendations to clients, senior company officials, pension fund managers, securities agents and associates
  • Prepare company, industry and economic outlooks, analytical reports, briefing notes and correspondence.
http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=1112&CST=01012011&CLV=4&MLV=4
NOC 1112 looks like the perfect fit for you. @musicholic might be able to help you better. He’s a star member from the same field as yours - investment banking :)

Reactions: catalyst441

musicholic

Apr 19, 2018
Thank you so much for the prompt response. It indeed helps in calming some of my nerves.
@musicholic, buddy please have a look.
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in response as I have been busy with my packing for Canada. Hope you guys receive your PPR asap.

I would recommend you to try to use as many terminologies from the reference post for NOC on the cic website.

Your roles and responsibilities do tie to the NOC code, however, I am not really sure as it seems like you are from 'Market Risk' domain. Please do correct me if I am wrong. I have not read the earlier posts on this thread but Market risk does fall under NOC code 1112 as well. So you are good to go :) All the best ! Please do let me know if you need any further help. I don't really get the time to check these forums as much now as I am busy with the packing. Please drop me a private message here. I'll share my contact details with you there.