+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

noc code 7321

manoreet

Mar 4, 2015
I want to confirm a couple of details regarding Permanent residence application under Canadian experience class:

I am being offered a paid apprenticeship opportunity as automobile technician (NOC 7321) in the province of Ontario.
Here are a few things I want to confirm:
1. All of my job duties qualify as NOC 7321, which is a qualified NOC for CEC, however the NOC details also state that the candidate needs to have the Automobile trade certificate to qualify to be a certified mechanic. Since, I will be working in one year apprenticeship, will I still be able to apply under CEC even though I don’t have the certificate?

2. Does this matter if the firm I will work with is large or a small independently owned business?

3. Will this matter how much wage I will be earning?

Thanks for your time in this matter and I look forward to your response.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Well... I think those who wrote the NOC (ESDC, StatsCan) intended for apprentices to be included in this NOC, the "apprentice" job title is included in the examples. Also, the VOs are supposed to ignore the "job requirements" section of the NOC when assessing your job duties, EXCEPT in regulated occupations.

As practiced by CIC lately, it may not be that clear-cut. Based on recent practice, the first round review will probably flag this requirement as unmet and send it to secondary review by a visa officer. At that point, it should be accepted. If it isn't, I would argue that the VO has made an error, and you have grounds to argue for reconsideration.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
manoreet said:
2. Does this matter if the firm I will work with is large or a small independently owned business?

No, as long as the VO can verify the existence of the business.

3. Will this matter how much wage I will be earning?

Generally, no. But it should be in line with the wages paid to other apprentices.

olaola026

Nov 17, 2016
Hi! could you please help me too! In my husband's employer letter his job is service technician. But it requires certificate in Alberta. And he doesn't have it. What should he do? thanks for help!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
olaola026 said:
Hi! could you please help me too! In my husband's employer letter his job is service technician. But it requires certificate in Alberta. And he doesn't have it. What should he do? thanks for help!
Is he in an apprentiship program?

olaola026

Nov 17, 2016
jes_ON said:
Is he in an apprentiship program?
No. It is not allowed to start apprenticeship program if applicant is not permanent resident in Alberta, if I understand it right. May be he can apply for apprenticeship in another province? What if employer will write recomendtion letter not for automotive service technician, but for Mechanical repairer (it is the same NOC)? For Mechanical repairers, motor vehicle manufacturing there are such employment requirment:
Completion of secondary school and training courses or a vocational program is usually required.
On-the-job training of two to three years is provided by employers.

Also there are such Trade certification for automotive service technicians is compulsory in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario and Alberta and available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

But for Automotive service technician (service station mechanic) (the sme NOC) trade certification is compulsory in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. So does it mean that service station mechanic doesn't need to have trade certification in Alberta?

Please! Help to figure it out!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
olaola026 said:
No. It is not allowed to start apprenticeship program if applicant is not permanent resident in Alberta, if I understand it right. May be he can apply for apprenticeship in another province? What if employer will write recomendtion letter not for automotive service technician, but for Mechanical repairer (it is the same NOC)? For Mechanical repairers, motor vehicle manufacturing there are such employment requirment:
Completion of secondary school and training courses or a vocational program is usually required.
On-the-job training of two to three years is provided by employers.

Also there are such Trade certification for automotive service technicians is compulsory in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario and Alberta and available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

But for Automotive service technician (service station mechanic) (the sme NOC) trade certification is compulsory in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. So does it mean that service station mechanic doesn't need to have trade certification in Alberta?
In Alberta, it is a regulated profession.
http://occinfo.alis.alberta.ca/occinfopreview/info/browse-occupations/occupation-profile.html?id=71003072

There is nothing to stop him from applying. But in all likelihood, it will be refused.

olaola026

Nov 17, 2016
There is nothing to stop him from applying. But in all likelihood, it will be refused.
[/quote]

Thank you! So, may be he should apply for this certificate in Alberta? How do you think if he will apply for Express Entry now? What should he write now without certifiate? Just no Canadian work expirience? And I have one more question. Is immigration officers check certificates? I didn't find it in Ministerial Instructions. They just check if your NOC and duties are the same as in the refference letter (I guess). Thank you for help!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Wow. OK - your husband is working as an unlicensed mechanic in Alberta. That means he is working illegally. Both your husband and his employer could be fined for violating the law. Maybe worse than just a fine.

Illegal / unauthorized work is not credited for immigration purposes.

If your husband has sufficient experience and perhaps a credential from elsewhere (his home country?) he can certainly apply for certification/licensing. But he would not be able to use any work experience gained before becoming licensed.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/credentials/

olaola026

Nov 17, 2016
jes_ON said:
Wow. OK - your husband is working as an unlicensed mechanic in Alberta. That means he is working illegally. Both your husband and his employer could be fined for violating the law. Maybe worse than just a fine.

If your husband has sufficient experience and perhaps a credential from elsewhere (his home country?) he can certainly apply for certification/licensing. But he would not be able to use any work experience gained before becoming licensed.

Thanks! :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

olaola026

Nov 17, 2016
jes_ON said:

And what do you think about this phrase from cic web page "Canadian Experience Class selection criteria - Qualifying work experience" (sorry, can't paste link, but you can google it if interested)
The “Employment Requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description are not applicable.

olaola026

Nov 17, 2016
jes_ON said:

Can employer write NOC 7333? it is optional trade in Alberta.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
olaola026 said:
And what do you think about this phrase from cic web page "Canadian Experience Class selection criteria - Qualifying work experience" (sorry, can't paste link, but you can google it if interested)
The “Employment Requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description are not applicable.
Yes, I am aware of that statement, which refers to the Canadian education and experience requirements. However, regulated occupations are regulated at the provincial level by provincial legislation - and applicants are of course required to follow the law.

Note that I don't blame you for being upset by this, but IMHO, it is the employer who is taking advantage of your (husband's) lack of knowledge (assuming your husband was not aware he was illegally working in a regulated occupation).

ms.mech

Jul 21, 2012
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
11-03-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
With File
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-2017
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
olaola026 said:

Thank you! So, may be he should apply for this certificate in Alberta? How do you think if he will apply for Express Entry now? What should he write now without certifiate? Just no Canadian work expirience? And I have one more question. Is immigration officers check certificates? I didn't find it in Ministerial Instructions. They just check if your NOC and duties are the same as in the refference letter (I guess). Thank you for help!
Hi,

Please avoid any other comments. If your husband is already in Canada, and applying under CEC, fed govt dont see any licensing until its related to medicare. The requirements are optional at provincial level.

Your husband is completely working legally if he is having a valid work visa and any other conditions are not mentioned on his work permit. If work permit specifically says that applicant is not supposed to work in automotive service sector then it would be illegal.

Other members mentioning it as illegal is wrong.

I know a friend whose friend got his PR based on same code, who applied under cec with two years of experience.

Also if you and your husband have got ample time in Canada and your husband is working in Alberta then he can apply under Alberta PNP under NOC 7535 which falls in class C. This profession is not provincially regulated and is accepted currently in for nomination purposes 100%. You can confirm with AINP itself. They will themselves suggest you to apply under this category.

Thanks

Reactions: olaola026