+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC category selection - 4131 College and Other Vocational Instructors

DesiMike

Star Member
Mar 29, 2009
I have read Immigration instruction guide at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf . On page no. 5, it guide states that
one should look at the NOC's "Initial description" and "Main duties" to determine his/her NOC category.

Now my question is about "4131 College and Other Vocational Instructors" category. "Main duties" of this category at http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=4131 doesn't specifically state what should be the areas of expertise of the instructors. "Initial description" states in a very generic manner that 'This unit group includes instructors who teach applied arts, academic, technical and vocational subjects to students at community colleges, CEGEPs, agricultural colleges, technical and vocational institutes, language schools and other college level schools.'

Immigration instruction guide doesn't state conclusively that one should look at "Example Titles" to determine one's NOC category. Though some of "Example Titles" make references to the specific expertise like: accounting, advertising art, agriculture, architectural technology, automotive repair etc., but some other "Example Titles" don't talk about area of expertise like: instructor – business college, instructor – commercial college, instructor – private training institute, instructor – technical school, instructor – technology institute, instructor - college of applied arts and technology, instructor - community college etc.

How does a potential immigration applicant who is working as an instructor/teacher in a given field e.g. Physics, whether or not he is
eligible to apply for immigration?

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
easy! If you do most of the duties listed for that NOC code, then you qualify! Forget about example titles and job tit;es. It's the duties that counts.

DesiMike

Star Member
Mar 29, 2009
Thanks wpc, but what about areas of expertise? Like if someone is Physics instructor/teacher, can he/she apply?

pmondair

Mar 31, 2009
hey... does an individual with master of business economics qualify being teaching economics and english at a non affiliated college... thx in advance...

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
hey... does an individual with master of business economics qualify being teaching economics and english at a non affiliated college... thx in advance...
For the purpose of immigration, the job requirements listed on the NOC website DO NOT apply. Igf your duties match those on the list, then you qualify.

DesiMike

Star Member
Mar 29, 2009
Description of NOC category 4131 says, it is for those teaching to students: "at community colleges, CEGEPs, agricultural colleges, technical and vocational institutes, language schools and other college level schools." I am not sure what should be academic level of the students studying in the above instituitions, since education system in the world varies across various geographic regions.

I don't know about vocational institutes and language schools in Canada, but all college level study in Canada starts after grade 12. Mainly Canadian colleges offers Diploma programs, but some colleges also offer Bachelor degree programs.

In contrast, in some other countries students are awarded "Secondary School Certificate" at completing Grade 10. After that students have 2 options:
Option 1: Attend a College to complete Grade 11-12 to earn "Higher Secondary School Certificate" (Equivalent to Canadian High School).
OR
Option 2: Attend a Technical/Vocational Institute or College for 1 to 3 years to earn Diploma/Certificate (Some 3 year Diploma are equivalent to "Higher Secondary School Certificate" above).

Students who secure "Higher Secondary School Certificate" after choosing "Option 1" above have the following 3 options:
Option 3: Attend a University to earn 3 or 4 year Bachelors degree.
OR
Option 4: Attend a College to earn 2 year Bachelors degree.
OR
Option 5: Attend a Technical/Vocational Institute or College to earn Diploma/Certificate.

Students who secure "Bachelors degree" after choosing "Option 3 or 4" above have the following 2 options:
Option 6: Attend a University or College to earn 2 year Masters degree.
OR
Option 7: Attent a University or College or Institute to earn 1 year "Postgraduate Diploma".

Can anyone tell me that the teachers teaching students in which of the above options are eligible to apply under NOC category 4131?

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
if you teach at option 2 or 5, then 4131 qualifies
if you teach at 3,4, 6 or 7 then 4121 (university instructor).
This i am generalizing. If your university is called college as like in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, then you could do 4131 instead of 4121.
Disclaimer, i am not an expert in canadian immigration. i am not indian either. i used TN and Karnataka as an example because i know some people who studied there. Forget generally about canadian colleges, just think about colleges in your country in those fields and whether you teach in one of them.

baran_ra

Apr 19, 2009
hello ..pleas help me..I am a college teacher ..i have been teaching for about 2 years as part time job but the hours are not equivalent to 1 year full time...i work full time as polymer engineer in another company and simultaneously i teach the employees there and i am paid seprately for teaching in the that company...can i count the hours i teach the employees in that company....can i call this part time job, company trainer and does 4131 includ this part time job? the hrsdc says that:
This unit group also includes trainers who are employed by private training establishments, companies, community agencies and governments to deliver internal training or development courses.

another thing...do they want me to prove that teaching was in english at college?

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
you could count the extra teaching you did provided it was a job by itself. i dont know how it works if it was part of another job. For example, i worked as an analyst before and i did train people in some tools, but i dont think that would count as 4131. just my opinion. best to wait for others to reply.

Since you are paid separately for that job, you might want to get a separate letter for it.

baran_ra

Apr 19, 2009
oh really thanks Rupeshhari for yr reply
1-does 4131 include teaching employees in industerial company? I mean it s not college
2-yes I can get a seprate letter for that...it wasnt part of that full time job..it was seprate part time job in that same company..but they dont give me contract..they just give me letter ...dose it have any problem?
3- can I say I had a ful time job and part time job simultaneously or i can just have for example 2 part time job simultaneously?
3- someone told me teaching should be in english...and they wana you to prove this...but no one teach in that college and company in english...is it true that teaching should be in english?>
really thanks for yr help

Mpadhya

Star Member
Dec 18, 2009
Urgent Help - 4131 - Private Training Institute and Main Duties

Greetings to all my Seniors,

I am requesting you to please help me out in two things.

I am an MBA and was teaching Spoken English to the students. I did it for morethan 5 years and now as I am planning to migrate to Canada I have sold that institute and joined another institute in the capacity of a senior instructor. I used to teach the students in the institute.

I am extremely confused as How to mention my main duties in the Schedule 3 FORM FSW. Do you think, If writing too much in details will have any negative impact on my application. Could anyone please guide me as how to describe the main duties in the form and what does the CIO officers look for ? Can anyone please send me a filled application form - Schedule 3 FSW especially falling in this NOC. (manish.patan@gmail.com)

Do I qualify for 4131 NOC ? What documents will be required to be sent to Delhi at a later stage for further Processing to support my work experience ?

I shall eagerly await your kindest guidance in this.

Thanks

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
They are looking to see if you do a substantial number of the duties as mentioned in your NOC.

For a list of documents, you should look for appendix A as specified for your visa office.

Mpadhya

Star Member
Dec 18, 2009
Thanks dear Rupeshhari,

Could you please through some light on how to describe the duties because the basic headings that are given in NOC, I fulfill them but I don't know how to describe them into the form. Simply copying the headings will not be ok I guess.

Please help me out letting me know as how to describe the duties in the forms.

I will really be greatful to you.

Thanks