+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 6231 or 1434? Jes pls advise!

junecec

Star Member
Dec 28, 2011
Hi Jes_ON,

I think I have found an answer to my question and wanted to get your opnion. You had avised me that my job as an Insurance Service broker might fall under:
NOC 1434 Banking, Insurance and Other Financial Clerks http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=1&val1=1434&val11=insurance&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0
But, I think I fall under: NOC 6231 Insurance Agents and Brokers
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileStructure.aspx?val=6&val1=6231&val24=*&val25=B&val26=0

My job duties cover both NOCs but the main thing that differrentiates my job as 6231 is because under employment requirement for 6231 it says:
Licensure by the insurance governing body in the province or territory of employment is required.
Whereas for 1434, license is not a requirement. So, As long as I send a copy of my license and the employment letter matches with 6231 I'm hoping I'm good to go. What you think?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
hi junecec,

Yes, the license is important. But - the main duties of the 2 NOC codes look quite different to me - do you SELL insurance?

Duties for NOC 6231 -
- Sell automobile, fire, health, life, property, marine, aircraft and other types of insurance to clients
- Establish client insurance coverage, calculate premiums and establish method of payment
- Provide information concerning group and individual insurance packages, the range of risk coverage, benefits paid and other policy features
- Ensure appropriate forms, medical examinations and other policy requirements are completed
- Monitor insurance claims and respond to clients' enquiries
- Identify and solicit potential clientele.

Duties for NOC 1434 -
Process enrolments, cancellations, claims transactions, policy changes and premium payments
Review insurance applications and verify insurance coverage, premiums paid and other insurance information
Calculate insurance premiums, pension benefits and annuity payments
Compile and maintain claims data, rates and insurance data and records
Answer enquiries and provide information on insurance products, policies and services.

junecec

Star Member
Dec 28, 2011
I do not initiate new sale, however we always upsell and cross-sell. My HR manager said she can write as though we are licensed to sell. She will actually write whatever is written on the 6231 description. Becuase for 1434, license is not a requirement. Whereas for my position, license is a must. Hopefully it works out. Still not sure if the type of company matters. Couldn't find an answer to that yet. Thanks a lot for your input over again :)

IamAries

Jul 2, 2022
Hello everyone. Newbie here. Hope someone can I answer my queries.
I am currently working in auto insurance under an insurance company here in UAE for 3+ years. ( full time ) I sell auto insurance, policy endorsements, assist clients with claims ( but my position is customer service ).
1. if i get hr experience letter stating my job responsibilities as per noc 6231 or noc 1434 will it be recognized in canada?
2. I am confused if i am under 6231 or 1434 as i do policy changes endorsements, i sell insurance but i have no target.
2. I do not have any kind of license here as an insurance agent but I am doing all the role as per noc 6231 and 1434, is it really required?
3. Does insurance companies in canada hire foreign ( outside canada & inside canada) or they prioritize canadian nationality.

i am planning to take a student visa instead and enroll in business ad insurance and risk management in new brunswick. I wanted to know if after I graduate if i will be given an opportunity to work in an insurance company in canada even if i do not have license or is the license provided by the employer where you got the job?

i have a lot of questions in my mind. I know my post is long but if there is someone who can answer all myqueries and give advice, i would highly appreciate it.