+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 21322 [Metallurgical and Materials Engineers] without P.Eng - PR CEC Inquiry

Fares.20

Aug 7, 2023
I am currently employed in Canada as a Material & Processes Engineer/Technologist (Metallurgist) and I am seeking your professional advice regarding my application for Permanent Residence under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) stream.

My primary concern lies with the NOC code selection. The responsibilities and tasks associated with my role appear to align well with NOC 21322 (Metallurgical and Materials Engineers). However, I noticed that the requirements for this code state: "Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practice as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.)." I have yet to acquire the P.Eng certification and as you might know this takes years to process.

Given this context, I have one specific question:
  • Can I apply under the CEC stream using the NOC 21322 code despite not having a P.Eng certification?
    • There is currently no NOC code for Materials Technologist (that I am aware of) so I can avoid the P.Eng requirement.
If you have experience dealing with similar situations or have insight into this matter, I would greatly appreciate it you can help.

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......
Are you an EIT (engineer-in-trainning) and are eligible to become a P.Eng after a few years of working? If so you are good with NOC 21322.

Fares.20

Aug 7, 2023
Hi, Thanks a lot for your reply. The EIT program was halted by PEO so it's no longer valid. I applied for my P.eng last year but it literally took a whole year for them just to assess my educational background. I have no doubt that I will get the P.Eng it just might take years. Did you use NOC 21322 and IRCC ended up asking you about your PEng?

I am happy to apply as a Materials Technologist to avoid any complications however there is no NOC for "Materials Technologist"

So was hoping I come across someone in the same field with the same situation who applied for their PR.

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......
Hi, Thanks a lot for your reply. The EIT program was halted by PEO so it's no longer valid. I applied for my P.eng last year but it literally took a whole year for them just to assess my educational background. I have no doubt that I will get the P.Eng it just might take years. Did you use NOC 21322 and IRCC ended up asking you about your PEng?

I am happy to apply as a Materials Technologist to avoid any complications however there is no NOC for "Materials Technologist"

So was hoping I come across someone in the same field with the same situation who applied for their PR.
No I don't work as an engineer. I just commented as I knew if you are on the path to get a P.Eng, in general it's not an issue. Also the employment requirement section of thee NOC is NOT a requirement for IRCC's assessment. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html
Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the "employment requirements" listed in the NOC occupational description.

Personal advice I'd say you should choose the noc that's the most closely aligned with your job duties, espeically the lead statement and the main duties, you should get a reference letter clearly demonstrating you perform those duties. Everything else is secondary.

Fares.20

Aug 7, 2023
Thanks again for the effort. Going through the Express Entry application online, there is a question after selecting your NOC that asks when did you first become qualified for that NOC (see image below). For NOC 21322, the current requirements as shown in the link below so my worry is that since I don't have PEng so I technically don’t have all the requirements. In a way, I don't know which date to include for that question.

Do you think the fact there is no NOC for "Materials Techcololgist" (which excludes the P.Eng requirements) should make me just go ahead with Materials Engineer (NOC 21322) if so what date do I put for this particular question?

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......
Thanks again for the effort. Going through the Express Entry application online, there is a question after selecting your NOC that asks when did you first become qualified for that NOC (see image below). For NOC 21322, the current requirements as shown in the link below so my worry is that since I don't have PEng so I technically don’t have all the requirements. In a way, I don't know which date to include for that question.

Do you think the fact there is no NOC for "Materials Techcololgist" (which excludes the P.Eng requirements) should make me just go ahead with Materials Engineer (NOC 21322) if so what date do I put for this particular question?

Again for NOC determination, you should pay the most attention to the lead statement annnd the main duties. If you have performed most of the duties then you should choose 21322. As for the date, you should put down the date you became eligible to become a P.Eng, which would be the day you graduated from your undergraduate engineering degree. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1127&top=29

Fares.20

Aug 7, 2023
Hi, thanks again for your help. I genuinely appreciate it. Do you think it matters if my undergraduate engineering degree was not from Canada (I did my masters in Canada) as I am currently going through the academic assessment for the PEng + need to complete experience requirements? This process usually takes years but it still means I am eligible for PEng just a long process ahead.

I still prefer to apply through a NOC that doesn't require P.Eng requirement for Materials Engineers/technologists but still not sure because there is no NOC for materials technologists.

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......
Hi, thanks again for your help. I genuinely appreciate it. Do you think it matters if my undergraduate engineering degree was not from Canada (I did my masters in Canada) as I am currently going through the academic assessment for the PEng + need to complete experience requirements? This process usually takes years but it still means I am eligible for PEng just a long process ahead.

I still prefer to apply through a NOC that doesn't require P.Eng requirement for Materials Engineers/technologists but still not sure because there is no NOC for materials technologists.
Not from Canada is fine, I was trying to say at the end of the day duties and what you did at the job matter the most, educational background and P.Eng title matter less, because you are not required to demonstrate that you satisfy those requirements. So the best you can do is to make sure the duties and responsibilities match and that's where you want to devote most of your attention to.
In terms of a non-engineering alternative, there is indeed 22101 which includes metallurgical technologist. So you can compare thee 2 but try to match the job essential duties first.

Ed Doetzel

Star Member
Nov 9, 2022
Calgary

You can apply for a P. Eng. at any time.

Your education will be assessed to a standard examination syllabus.

https://www.egbc.ca/Registration/Individual-Registrants/How-to-Apply/Examinations-Seminars/Academic-Examinations/Engineering-Syllabus

Your Masters will only be as useful in so far as it fills any gap between your undergraduate degree and the standard syllabus.

If there are gaps between your education and the standard syllabus, you will likely be assigned technical examinations.

https://techexam.ca/what-is-a-technical-exam-your-ladder-to-professional-engineer/

Experience and education are two different criteria.

I hope this helps.

PlusUltraHWE

Sep 20, 2023
Hello Everyone.

I have a bachelor's degree from India and I graduated from a two year diploma program in Canada but all of my 5+ years of work experience as a Hardware (Electronics) Design Engineer is from working for established companies in Canada. I recently decided to apply for the P.Eng as my workplace is encouraging me to get one and they're willing to reimburse cost.

Going by what I'm reading online, it is not a straight forward process for someone with a B.Eng from abroad, like PEO for instance assigns technical exams if they think the courses that you took during your bachelor's degree is not sufficient. I hear APGEA is relatively easier but what exactly 'easier' entail? I'd appreciate any response I can get regarding the matter.