Surname is blank and
Given name is PRIYA MOHAN.

When I applied for US Visa, I was asked to change by US Consulate as

First Name : FNU
Surname : PRIYA MOHAN.

My name is showing as below in I-94

Now I am applying for Visitor visa to Canada. Please guide me whether I need to follow the same procedure or go by my Passport

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

prithivikpm said:
Hello

In my passport (issued in India), my

Surname is blank and
Given name is PRIYA MOHAN.

When I applied for US Visa, I was asked to change by US Consulate as

My name is showing as below in I-94

Now I am applying for Visitor visa to Canada. Please guide me whether I need to follow the same procedure or go by my Passport
1. Same method, you insert your given names in the Surname box and N/A in the given names.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's a name mismatch between your Indian passport and I-94..... ie your given name and surname have been reversed in the I-94.

FNU means First Name Unknown. You can change your name in the I-94 either when you're in the US (for a fee, and it will take some time) or when you re-enter the US.

Your passport is your identification document for all purposes.... and your name for the Canada TRV application should be as stated in your passport.... Given Name: Priya Mohan, Surname: N/A.... also you must include an explanation about this name mismatch in your visa application

btw (a) is there a mistake in your passport itself if your name is actually: Given Name=Priya, Surname=Mohan?? or (b) Passport is correct ie no surname which is sometimes the case practiced by some Indian communities?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Bryanna said:
There's a name mismatch between your Indian passport and I-94..... ie your given name and surname have been reversed in the I-94.

FNU means First Name Unknown. You can change your name in the I-94 either when you're in the US (for a fee, and it will take some time) or when you re-enter the US.

Your passport is your identification document for all purposes.... and your name for the Canada TRV application should be as stated in your passport.... Given Name: Priya Mohan, Surname: N/A.... also you must include an explanation about this name mismatch in your visa application

btw (a) is there a mistake in your passport itself if your name is actually: Given Name=Priya, Surname=Mohan?? or (b) Passport is correct ie no surname which is sometimes the case practiced by some Indian communities?
1. I really wish that you would read the instructions from CIC where there is no surname listed on the passport before giving advice.

"What do you mean by surname?

Your surname is your family name. It is sometimes called your “last name.” If your name is spelled differently on your official documents, please write your name as shown in your passport. When filling out applications, type your surname as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document or any letters you got from the visa office or case processing centre where you sent your application (even if the name is misspelled). Do not use initials.

If you do not have a surname on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field, write “not applicable” or “N/A” in the given name field."

prithivikpm

Apr 4, 2015
Thank You PMM.

I too got the below info in CIC

Personal Details

Question 1
Full name

Type your family name (surname) as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document (even if the name is misspelled). Do not use initials.

Note: If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) here and leave the given name field blank.

Type all of your given name(s) (first, second, or more) as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document (even if the name is misspelled). Do not use initials.

Note: If you do not have a given name on your passport, travel or identity document, leave this field blank. Do not enter “*”, “Not applicable” or “NA”.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Dear sir,
I want to apply for my son visit visa but on passport first page they haven't print his last name just print only Frist name .but passport last page they print full his father and mother name first middle and last name. So I have to fill full or just first name?
1. If he doesn't have a surname in his passport, then you put his given name in the surname field in the application and leave the given name field blank.