+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

no. of days to qualify

canada_dream100

Jul 30, 2010
Sorry I am confused... I belive as per new law applicant needs to be present in Canada for 4 years...but someone told me that that's for immigrants from year 2013 ... Is there any such thing?

canada_dream100

Jul 30, 2010
I am lost again CIC site says applicant needs to be present 1095 days which is 3 years... So new law doesn't force for 4 years or CIC site is not updated... I have landed on august 2011 and qualify for 1095 in sept 2014 ... Am I good to apply for citizenship or still need to wait for one more year before applying.

EdmontonM

Star Member
Mar 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canada_dream100 said:
Sorry I am confused... I belive as per new law applicant needs to be present in Canada for 4 years...but someone told me that that's for immigrants from year 2013 ... Is there any such thing?
Right now you need 3 years (1095 day) since the new law has not been implemented yet.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The bill has been passed but CIC has said nothing about when the new rules take effect. However, they will probably be in force before September so it looks like you'll have to wait another year.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Leon said:
The bill has been passed but CIC has said nothing about when the new rules take effect. However, they will probably be in force before September so it looks like you'll have to wait another year.
Leon, did you have any information about the new residency provision coming into force this September? CIC agents seems to state it will come into force next June...

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Empirical-Scientist said:
Leon, did you have any information about the new residency provision coming into force this September? CIC agents seems to state it will come into force next June...

LOL.
The forum is full of speculators and rumours.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canada_dream100 said:
I am lost again CIC site says applicant needs to be present 1095 days which is 3 years... So new law doesn't force for 4 years or CIC site is not updated... I have landed on august 2011 and qualify for 1095 in sept 2014 ... Am I good to apply for citizenship or still need to wait for one more year before applying.
Get ready to apply in September . The only official timeline we have so far for the new law is in the cic website and it clearly states it will come into force approximately one year(from june 19, 2014) any other date that my be circulating in this forum is pure speculation and guess.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I say probably because I think it's probable when they have a new law passed that they will not wait a year to change the rules according to the new law but who knows. However, I am only speculating. Whoever is eligible to apply in September according to the old rules should get ready to apply and as long as there are no rule changes posted on the CIC website, should apply according to the old rules.

We can all speculate what will happen but nobody actually knows until it's posted.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Leon said:
I say probably because I think it's probable when they have a new law passed that they will not wait a year to change the rules according to the new law but who knows. However, I am only speculating. Whoever is eligible to apply in September according to the old rules should get ready to apply and as long as there are no rule changes posted on the CIC website, should apply according to the old rules.

We can all speculate what will happen but nobody actually knows until it's posted.
Well, according to the new release at http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=859509, if you look at the second Quick Facts bullet, it reads "Citizenship applicants will need to be physically present in Canada for a total of four out of their last six years. In addition, they will need to be physically present in Canada for 183 days per year for at least four of those six years. These provisions will come into force in approximately a year." Unless, of course, CIC tends to ignore written news releases...

NSBoy902

Star Member
Jun 30, 2013
Well, according to the new release at http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=859509, if you look at the second Quick Facts bullet, it reads "Citizenship applicants will need to be physically present in Canada for a total of four out of their last six years. In addition, they will need to be physically present in Canada for 183 days per year for at least four of those six years. These provisions will come into force in approximately a year." Unless, of course, CIC tends to ignore written news releases...
Good link. Thanks

It looks like rules will be under the old law until June next year. So, for us, who will apply before next year June, we need 3 years, CIC workers cannot revoke our citizenship and no need to declare intend to stay in Canada after granting citizenship.

canada_dream100

Jul 30, 2010
Thank you every one for your time and messages... This is definitely helpful ... I will start preparing for this....

I have one more question:

My spouse qualify to apply in first week of April 2015... We landed togather and became PR holder at same time but she was out of country to spend time with her parents...

Is there any rule which suggest to apply together or I can apply seperately before her and she after 4-5 months to me....

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
canada_dream100 said:
Thank you every one for your time and messages... This is definitely helpful ... I will start preparing for this....

I have one more question:

My spouse qualify to apply in first week of April 2015... We landed togather and became PR holder at same time but she was out of country to spend time with her parents...

Is there any rule which suggest to apply together or I can apply seperately before her and she after 4-5 months to me....
I'm applying separately. When I landed, I was single. I married during the time I was a PR. My wife (to be) landed three months after me. I'm applying now. she'll apply by the end of this year... There's no particular requirement, to my knowledge, that partners or couples should apply together...