+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New work permit at port of entry

bananawolf

Dec 8, 2009
I am now holding a closed work permit which is valid until 09/21/2012. Recently, I got an offer from another employer and they are now applying an LMO for me. I expect the LMO will be issued in 3 weeks. In order to get a new work permit faster, I am thinking about going to the border to get a new work permit. I am not from visa-exempt country but I have a multi-entry visa based on my current work permit which is also valid until 09/21/2012. Can I leave Canada at the border and return right away and apply for a new work permit with my new LMO? If anybody can help, I will be greatly appreciated.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
You may want to confirm with the CIC call center. You can apply from inside(online) by sending the application to Vegreville, Alberta. Here are processing times: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

bananawolf

Dec 8, 2009
Thanks. I will call them. The reason I want to apply at port of entry is it happens immediately instead of waiting for a month.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Are you from a country who does not need visa to enter canada?

bananawolf said:
Thanks. I will call them. The reason I want to apply at port of entry is it happens immediately instead of waiting for a month.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
No harm in trying then because if you're not successful obtaining your WP at the border, you can always send your application to Vegreville.

bananawolf said:
No, I need a visa. But I have a valid multi-entry visa already.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi - from what you describe, you do not meet the requirements to get a work permit at the POE. And it's not true that it can't hurt - unlikely, but you could be denied re-entry.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/work-temp.asp
Some workers can apply at a port of entry

Most foreign workers must apply for a work permit outside of Canada. However, you may apply for a permit when you arrive at a port of entry in Canada if:

you are from the U.S., Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon;
you do not need a temporary resident visa (TRV) to visit Canada and your job does not need a labour market opinion from HRSDC;
you will not be working as a live-in caregiver or as a seasonal agricultural worker;
you do not need a TRV to visit Canada, your job requires you to have an HRSDC labour market opinion and it has been issued by the time you arrive.

To apply this way, the labour market opinion confirmation letter for your job offer must be available, and you must produce the offer of employment and other necessary papers when you arrive. Remember that you must find out what papers you will need before arriving in Canada. Check with a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate.

Kiwiw98

Nov 11, 2013
Hi everyone,
Reading through your stories has been a huge help in figuring things out but I want to be 100% sure I won't shoot myself in the foot so here goes.

I am from New Zealand (TRV/visitor visa exempt) and I have a job offer for employment in Canada in May. They will apply for an LMO shortly. However, I am wanting to go to Canada on a visitors visa in January for personal reasons.

So my questions are:
1. Would it be better for me to apply for the work permit while I am in New Zealand and hope that it comes through before I go to Canada in January. and then 'flagpole' at the border in May to re enter as a worker.
2. what happens if the application is not approved before I go to Canada as a visitor, - would it be alright if it was still processed and accepted while i am 'visiting' Canada and then i cross the border to get the new work permit?

OR
3. Is it better to get the positive LMO, enter Canada as a visitor and apply for the work permit at the port of entry?

I'm asking this because you cannot apply for a work permit within Canada if you are a visitor. So is it better to apply while I am still in NZ even though with the current wait times it may not be accepted before I arrive. Or is it better to apply at the border.

Any help/info/advice you can give is much appreciated

Thanks!