+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New to this forum and express entry

GlobalCitizen1984

Dec 24, 2018
Hi There,

I am new here. So, please be kind to me. If you think my questions are too basic.
So, I am currently employed full time. I am interested in moving to Canada and hopefully get LMIA job for express entry profile. As my CRS score is not good enough to get me a nomination. Although I might be missing out on few things I can utilize. So, contacting David Cohen's firm is one thing on my to do list. Before that I want to give IELTS once or twice more and get a good score . I got the little more than minimum required first time. But little more is always helpful.
So, coming to my next question:

1. The firm I am working with , can also employ me in Canada(but it will not be LMIA job).Do I need to mention this to IRCC?
2. The hours of current job are such that they will not affect my 9 to 5 job weekdays.
3. Can I do two jobs same time in canada? (My present job and the LMIA job in canada, if I am able to land one)
4. Is there any law which I may be breaking, by point 3?
5. Alternative scenario if I am not able to do point 3 is, I take the LMIA job, get my Permanent Resident card and again join my current job. The reason being job security with a firm I have been associated with for a long time. Although doing two jobs are my first go to. Do you know when is the PR card given?

I might be thinking ahead of myself, as I have not even created a Express Entry profile. But here I am.

Thanks!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
oh ok.. Thanks for warning me ... I certainly do not want to break any laws...
Sorry, I may be wrong. I had read it as you would take LMIA job and then quit it. If you get an LMIA job and keep it, you're not committing fraud.

The fraud comes in where you accept a job with the intention to quit it as soon as you get PR. If you never intended to actually take the job, you are misrepresenting. However, if your option 5 is actually "work two jobs," then it may not be an issue.

GlobalCitizen1984

Dec 24, 2018
Sorry, I may be wrong. I had read it as you would take LMIA job and then quit it. If you get an LMIA job and keep it, you're not committing fraud.

The fraud comes in where you accept a job with the intention to quit it as soon as you get PR. If you never intended to actually take the job, you are misrepresenting. However, if your option 5 is actually "work two jobs," then it may not be an issue.
Sorry. To clarify:
working two jobs is okay? One LMIA and one my current job- (non LMIA)
However, taking LMIA job and then leaving it after getting PR is not okay? Is there a time frame I need to stick to LMIA job(one month, one year or some other timeframe?)

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You shouldn't quit the LMIA job immediately, in my opinion. If your intent is to accept an LMIA to get enough points to get into Canada but never do that job, you are lying and defrauding the immigration system.

GlobalCitizen1984

Dec 24, 2018
You shouldn't quit the LMIA job immediately, in my opinion. If your intent is to accept an LMIA to get enough points to get into Canada but never do that job, you are lying and defrauding the immigration system.
Thanks a lot for warning me of the consequences! I won't quit LMIA job in that case. I will keep this in mind.