+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New SIN?

Ezzo90

Jan 12, 2019
Hey folks
So i had a sin number starting with a 9 as a refugee claimant
Now that i am a protected person
I will still use the same SIN or i have to ask for a new one?

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
thank you for your reply.
So until i get the physical pr card i will still be using the same one i got as a refugee claimant right?
Yes, you will continue using this one starting with 9. When you get your COPR (even without PR card) you can go online to Canada Service or in person and they will give you your new SIN starting with 5.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hey folks
1. You change it when you become a permanent resident.

Jakiewuyi

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Hey folks
@Ezzo90 Have you applied and received your permanent residency? If yes, you need to change your SIN at Service Canada. If no, you can only update your SIN when you have your confirmation of permanent residency.

Therightd237

Nov 20, 2021
Hi guys I’m having an issue regarding my sin number expiry date. I have both work permit and study permit application beings processed along with my PR application. My study permit expires on July and so does my SIN number. I already missed a job opportunity because of my SIN number expiry date but now student aid is telling me I cannot qualify for my summer loan unless my SIN number expiry date is extended. Is there any way I can extend a SIN number just with the notice of decision or I’m obliged to wait until I receive either work permit, study permit or PR. I also had similar issues with my drivers license renewal being denied. Here is the message from student aid below.

Thank you for your email. Once your SIN has been updated, (or extended to include your study period end date), please forward a copy to our offices.

Unfortunately, your application cannot move forward without a SIN document that is valid for the entirety of your study period

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi guys I’m having an issue regarding my sin number expiry date. I have both work permit and study permit application beings processed along with my PR application. My study permit expires on July and so does my SIN number. I already missed a job opportunity because of my SIN number expiry date but now student aid is telling me I cannot qualify for my summer loan unless my SIN number expiry date is extended. Is there any way I can extend a SIN number just with the notice of decision or I’m obliged to wait until I receive either work permit, study permit or PR. I also had similar issues with my drivers license renewal being denied. Here is the message from student aid below.

Thank you for your email. Once your SIN has been updated, (or extended to include your study period end date), please forward a copy to our offices.

Unfortunately, your application cannot move forward without a SIN document that is valid for the entirety of your study period
Service Canada can only extend your SIN number with valid TRP. Legally, while your application is in process and you submitted before the expiry, requirement for SIN Number is also under Implied Status, and that you are eligible to continue working until decision is made. Now in your case, your DLI has its own guidelines in processing student aid but you can still make a case under Employment and Insurance Act/Regulation to be reconsidered under current situation ( Backlog )
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1505

T0pubo

Dec 11, 2021
St. John's/Montreal
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-11-2021
Doc's Request.
14-03-2022
AOR Received.
14-04-2022
Med's Done....
03-11-2021

I've never heard of SIN being necessary for a driver's license.

sohaib1

Champion Member
Jan 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2015
Doc's Request.
13-10-2015 (Urdu Nikah Nama)
AOR Received.
02-04-2015
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
PreDone 20-01-2015
Passport Req..
11-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-12-2015
If your work permit expires on a certain date, your sin does too that same day. Maybe I should have said I can’t renew my DL because of my expired work permit
yes need a non-expired document. Did you talk to the registery you have applied for renewal but back log is too much. You should speak to who ever provides license services like here its service alberta. Call them and explain your situation. Don’t talk to registery services.

T0pubo

Dec 11, 2021
St. John's/Montreal
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-11-2021
Doc's Request.
14-03-2022
AOR Received.
14-04-2022
Med's Done....
03-11-2021
yes need a non-expired document. Did you talk to the registery you have applied for renewal but back log is too much. You should speak to who ever provides license services like here its service alberta. Call them and explain your situation. Don’t talk to registery services.
In QC, you are given a new DL when you take your soon to be expired DL to the SAAQ. I have renewed once and was not asked for my study or work permit. This is why this is shocking news.