+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Rules Effective June 1, 2014 - Questions......

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All, Just thought I'd start a thread for those who had questions like me about the impending changes to study permits and hopefully someone wiser can answer. Here are mine:

1. Do the changes only affect new permits issued after June 1, 2014 or are those issued before grandfathered in?

2. If they are grandfathered in, will they re-issue me a new study permit that indicated my eligibility to work?

3. If they are not grandfathered in then do those of us with study permits issued from before the change must still apply for an off-campus work permit?

Thanks!

~pseudowolf

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What do you mean by "grandfathered"? Never heard that being used in english in regards to things being back compatible.

Also, if you used the search function, you'd see that what you are asking has been asked many many times already, in similar threads to yours and also answered.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
not sure but he is using "grandfathered in " in a opposite way.....it means new regulations wont effect someone if they r grandfathered in. in this case it means if we who r already here if grandfathered in wont be affected by the new regulations.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
1. Do the changes only affect new permits issued after June 1, 2014 or are those issued before grandfathered in?
we dont know yet isnt spelled out yet.

2. If they are grandfathered in, will they re-issue me a new study permit that indicated my eligibility to work?
no idea yet how they will handle us oldtimers ;)

3. If they are not grandfathered in then do those of us with study permits issued from before the change must still apply for an off-campus work permit?
i think we still apply for ocwp not sure we will have to wait and see

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pseudowolf said:
Hi All, Just thought I'd start a thread for those who had questions like me about the impending changes to study permits and hopefully someone wiser can answer. Here are mine:

2. If the

~pseudowolf
To enlighten you and many others who are very keen to know how exactly this change will affect them specifically on OCWP (I know this is primarily the main and to most the only concern);

The proposed changes will not affect much the students already in Canada or the prospected applicants submitted study permit file prior to coming-into-force date (june 01, 2014).

Just to avoid many further posts to land on this thread about source of information, please read the following publication from page 137 onward to 138;

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2014/2014-02-12/pdf/g2-14804.pdf

Of course you will read and understand the transitioning of new rules or amended rules. It does say it won't affect the existing student population, but doesn't say either that existing students won't be able to apply for OCWP under new changes. However, it's quite obvious students who started their programs in Jan 2014 needn't worry about getting OCWP as they automatically become eligible (subject to have successfully met the requirements such as passing at least one semester). Only benefit I see for existing candidates is they save time and money for not applying for OCWP separately.

Another point we must consider is, as the existing study permits have conditions of not being allowed to work, perhaps the new study permits being issued now or after June 01, 2014 may have condition to allow students to work part-time.

To ensure how existing students will have to go about OCWP coming June, they should either check with CIC or their respective college. And the right questions to be raised are;

1. If I have joined the college in May 2014, do I become eligible under the new program for OCWP?

2. Does college still need to issue EVN number?

3. Does college issue a letter stating "following student is an active full time student" which can be taken to Service Canada and get a SIN issued?

Cheers!